• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Nice models. Too flimsy.

Projects created by Zealot Miniatures may be discussed in this room.

Re: Nice models. Too flimsy.

Postby BStewart80 » November 10th, 2020, 1:39 pm

Which is why I decided to give it another go. They are highly recommended and I really like most of their models (with exception to the orcs and goblins; just a personal preference/difference there) So, once I finish painting the pieces from them, I'll post the pics in this discussion, perhaps change or update the title, and share that I had a singular experience to hopefully solidify their ongoing reputation.
BStewart80

Orc
Orc
 
Posts: 46
Joined: September 2nd, 2019, 5:44 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Nice models. Too flimsy.

Postby BStewart80 » November 10th, 2020, 9:58 pm

OK. Almost finished with the barbarian and guess what?...The blade broke. Just like the first one. Barely any pressure on the blade and it broke at the handle right under the cross guard. Same as last time on the previous barbarian I ordered from Zealot Miniatures. I have glued it and am waiting for it to dry so that I can finish the paint job. Once complete, I'll still post the pics. Not a mighty artist, but certainly tabletop worthy.

So, I stand by my subject on this thread: Nice models. Too flimsy. I like the design, but frustrated with this. I have painted hundreds of minis and haven't had issues like this except when dealing with very brittle resin from vendors on Etsy. Not sure, if Zealot Miniatures are willing (doubt it), but if I can get the 3-D file, I can have my guy on Etsy at Yo3dMini, in Russia, print it and send it to me. His resin mixture is the best. I have dropped minis from his store by accident and they were just fine. Great texture and very durable.

I really like Zealot Miniatures design, (top notch) but every piece I have purchased has broken...including the adventurers equipment (for when a hero is killed in the quest) https://zealotminiatures.com/zealot-sho ... y=23326032. The part with the handle and the bow that are protruding from the pack broke while handling.

I know they are highly recommended here, but my experience has not been the same sad to say.

I sent a message to Zealot Miniatures, but have received no response. I'll post their response if they send one.

Sorry guys. I know you love 'em.
BStewart80

Orc
Orc
 
Posts: 46
Joined: September 2nd, 2019, 5:44 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Nice models. Too flimsy.

Postby BStewart80 » November 11th, 2020, 12:19 am

Here's the pic. Not a photographer and not a professional miniature painter. But the picture doesn't quite do them justice. Anyway, they look nice and I like them. Just afraid they'll break during game play.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BStewart80

Orc
Orc
 
Posts: 46
Joined: September 2nd, 2019, 5:44 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Nice models. Too flimsy.

Postby Oftkilted » November 11th, 2020, 12:53 am

When dealing with resin that you’re planning on playing with I’m a huge fan of pinning everything.
And if it breaks, pin it. While it’s possible that it’s available as an stl for printing, the originals were from greens sculpted by hand.
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 373
Joined: October 6th, 2020, 2:04 pm
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Nice models. Too flimsy.

Postby Weltenlaeufer » November 11th, 2020, 12:02 pm

Cool painting on the minis!

I had the same issue. The new minis are extremely flimsy, you gotta be super careful. Forget about dropping them, they gonna break. I dont know if this is normal for resin models with that level of detail, I kinda got used to it. I had the same issue with Boris models from the DarkArtStudio series. The only thing that helped I noticed is the priming and painting that solidifies them a bit. Having said that, the models are epic and I am very happy with the whole range. It would have just been nice if they were more durable.


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
User avatar
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 678
Images: 232
Joined: February 18th, 2019, 12:38 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Nice models. Too flimsy.

Postby Thantos » May 21st, 2021, 11:09 am

Hey Stewart, sorry to hear about your troubles with breaking the minis!

The resin we use is pretty top-end stuff, its unfilled and aims to mimic the properties of a thermoplastic.

All I can think of is perhaps there was a micro bubble in the casting which caused a weak point in the thin areas?
We had a month last year where the seals on one of our vac tanks had degraded and was not pulling enough vacuum - it took us a while to realize and fix it, so some casings with micro bubbles escaped into the wild. Could be these giving you headache.

The end gang does looks great though :) If you have any bits which need replacements fire me a PM on here and I'll get back to you myself.
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
User avatar
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 782
Images: 0
Joined: September 12th, 2013, 6:28 am
Location: UK
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Nice models. Too flimsy.

Postby bleugh » May 23rd, 2021, 4:19 am

mix in some sirayatech flex with the resin - maybe try 10% to start with.....makes them much less brittle
bleugh

Goblin
Goblin
 
Posts: 17
Joined: May 21st, 2021, 3:18 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Nice models. Too flimsy.

Postby Thantos » May 24th, 2021, 6:00 am

We are vacuum casting rather than 3D printing, unfortunately that wouldnt cure when cast. But if this problem continues for anyone else, I'll do some tests with flexy PU when casting fragile minis :)
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
User avatar
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 782
Images: 0
Joined: September 12th, 2013, 6:28 am
Location: UK
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Nice models. Too flimsy.

Postby Legolad » August 9th, 2021, 11:36 pm

I agree with BStewart's assessment. I backed the kickstarter, and I find the miniatures beautiful as sculpts, but lacking as game pieces. That is to say, Boris is an amazing sculptor, but I think he needs to work more with the material weakness of thin pieces at that scale. My skeleton's scythe broke before assembly and my barbarian's sword handle snapped off his hand. I don't even think it's a resin issue, necessarily, probably just the thinness of the piece. My two cents.
Legolad
 
Posts: 1
Joined: October 19th, 2018, 12:01 am
Hero:

Previous

Return to Zealot Miniatures

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest