• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[HeroQuest Prime] Master Thread

All topics related to the HeroQuest Prime project are discussed here.

Re: [HeroQuest Prime] Master Thread

Postby mitchiemasha » January 24th, 2016, 1:16 pm

Reading through this now... You'll get my thorough analyses... it may get wordy!!!

I recently read an article on repetition. Obviously in rules it's harder to avoid but minimising is a must. I read another article on 'it'. The article had a nice section on redundancy, removing words not needed.

I prefer to always refer to the player as Hero, not player, keeps things in theme.

Weapons
Not been able to take weapons from undead is enough reason the armoury can't buy them. The first bullet point says 'the armoury will buy back', twice. Why mention 'all' monsters only to go back on it in the next few words. I'd say ditch the word 'all' in that sentence. A simpler version would read.

1. The armoury will buy back unbroken weapons at 50% of their purchase cost.
  2. Heroes can take weapons from monsters they have killed, except undead.
Swapping weapons seems too much of a loss. A full turn will be game changing. In my mod a hero sacrifices 1 rolled d6. I don't know if you have rolled movement yet though. I'm stealing your thrown weapons range mod, a good mechanic with no extra mess to it.

The Character Skills would look better 2 lines each. If I have a line with 1 word on it, I'll try my hardest to make it less, reword, reposition the art etc. I like the classes. Some words to consider ditching as I think it reads better with out:

1. Bravo: in battle.
  2. Monk:/Warrior: your.
  3. Chronomancer: Itself.
The only class I didn't understand with out more thought was the Swordmage

Caster Classes... Repetition issues. No need to repeat 'Elementalist' and 'a focus on' each time, I'd be tempted to leave in 'spells' after each but it can be left out.

Caster Classes
Elementalist are Spell casters whose
focus on a single natural element gives
them a unique advantage:
◦ Aeromancer: Air.
◦ Hydromancer: Water.
◦ Geomancer: Earth.
◦ Pyromancer: Fire.

Mercenaries... More repetition issues. You state cans and can'ts in the txt then do a list. The 4 mercenary choices should be in a table for added neatness.

Mercenaries are recruited for a fee before
beginning a Quest and are released
from service at the end. A payment can't be
regained, even if slain. Other Heroes can't
pick up their items and must move before they do.
Mercenaries are similar to Heroes in every
way except they:
• may not search for treasure.
• may not use equipment, Artefacts, or Treasure items.
• may carry only one potion at a time.

No need for... 'Mercenary may use it as a Hero would, or give it to another Hero, on the Mercenary’s turn' as that is similar/behaving as the hero would.

My English is far from perfect, I really struggled at school. Writing rule mods has turned it into somewhat of a fascination.

The articles I mentioned
http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/i ... s-with-itI
http://inventingrealityeditingservice.t ... tion-.html

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby mitchiemasha » January 24th, 2016, 2:58 pm

Advancement Skills, Spells etc. Try avoid using 'this skill', 'this spell' etc. I'd of put the advancement ranks in 1 big table, Hero, Champion, Veteran with all the perks much less space, avoiding more repeated words. The mechanic itself, PERFECT!

I don't like the 'can ignore 1BP of damage 1 per Quest'. I don't see how this works or how you remember. Might as well just have an extra BP.
When an attacker rolls all skulls against you, i'll be using that for a trigger. Where were you when I started my thread on this, lol!
Regenerate... YES! 2BP probably OP, 1BP for the easier option.
Reclaimable... Don't like. It just seems like a thrown in die roll, when you already have a broken mechanic. I simply use, A lost weapon is found if the room it was thrown in is searched.
Running out of arrows 2 black shields rolled... Works for me.
Ditch the words 'used to' in the miscellaneous items table.

No doubt I'll be back tomorrow with more.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby GameThug » April 2nd, 2021, 1:46 pm

I'm feeling a little dumb, but does this package not include the board itself?
GameThug

Hero:

Postby Teldurn » April 2nd, 2021, 8:59 pm

GameThug wrote:I'm feeling a little dumb, but does this package not include the board itself?

Hi. So, two things. First, HQP is no longer being produced. See the link in my signature for the current product.

Second, the maps weren't using the standard HeroQuest map, they were custom hand-drawn map tiles. So because the maps I was using were being sold by another company, I had no right to include them in this package or to resell them.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to HeroQuest Prime