• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Some HQP Spells

All topics related to the HeroQuest Prime project are discussed here.

Some HQP Spells

Postby Teldurn » May 2nd, 2014, 11:24 am

I'm taking a break from writing the quest pack for now and have decided instead to finish up the cards. I already have all the spells prepared, they just need their identifying pictures done. I will be able to finish all the cards faster than I will be able to finish the quest pack, so that is where I am directing my focus.

So far, I'm practically done with 3 sets of spells: Aquamancer, Aeromancer, and Illusionist. I'm still looking for a good card image for a couple spells, plus the card back for Illusionist. I'm willing to accept suggestions for images, too, in case you think you have a better one than I've used.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ILLUSIONIST SPELLS

Again, I would like to thank everyone whose work is contributing to this final product. You all rock something fierce! \m/

EDIT: Dammit, I just now realized I should have used that lycanthropy image for Shape Shift instead of that mangled photoshop job. Will fix later tonight if I can.

EDIT2: Sweet bajeebus! Is there any way to reduce the gigantor single-image size?
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Some HQP Spells

Postby chaoticprime » May 2nd, 2014, 11:50 am

A word on continuity. "Aqua" is Latin. "Aero" is Greek. "Hydro" is Greek for water and "Vento" is Latin for wind. "Aero" was adopted into Latin from Greek, but it means air-air, not like weather but the stuff from within your lungs. It also means farts. Its fair to use "-mancer," although it literally refers to an insane person who claims that they can divine using whatever the first word is. Its actually a derivation of the word "maniac." The two historical references are "geomancer" and "necromancer." Each means "divination by means of earth/death." The Latin word "magister" means "master of." So "Ventomagistre" is an example of the vocative form.

Food for thought.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » May 2nd, 2014, 11:53 am

Also, your Illusionist spells venture considerably outside the realm of the eidetic. What you present is more Hedge Wizardry, which is basically, "If I can think, I can do it." AKA, "magical powers".

Also, the emphasis on form could be Protean.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » May 2nd, 2014, 12:17 pm

chaoticprime wrote:A word on continuity. "Aqua" is Latin. "Aero" is Greek. "Hydro" is Greek for water and "Vento" is Latin for wind. "Aero" was adopted into Latin from Greek, but it means air-air, not like weather but the stuff from within your lungs. It also means farts. Its fair to use "-mancer," although it literally refers to an insane person who claims that they can divine using whatever the first word is. Its actually a derivation of the word "maniac." The two historical references are "geomancer" and "necromancer." Each means "divination by means of earth/death." The Latin word "magister" means "master of." So "Ventomagistre" is an example of the vocative form.

Food for thought.

Thank you. I will consider renaming them appropriately for improved cohesion.

Also, I would like to point out that the Illusionist has spells that others (usually) believe are real. How does that not classify as illusions? How is it you feel that does not fit? It isn't so much, "If I can think it, I can do it," as much as it is, "If you believe it is real, then it is," which is the whole point, I think.

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » May 3rd, 2014, 2:00 pm

I think that shapeshift image is very clever. Might need some work but it is original.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby mako-heart » May 3rd, 2014, 4:04 pm

Teldurn you did a kick ass job on these I really like what you have done with these I had a quick question though.
What character is allowed to play these spell?
example the party consists of
1 wizard 3 spell colleges. GS
1 elf 1 spell college the "left over" or elf spells 3 spells
1 Illusionist 9 spells of illusion. New figure new stats? New hero?
1 Aeromancer 9 spells of air . another new figure new stats? new hero?
1 aquamancer 9 spells of water. Another new figure new stats? new hero?
Or did you set this up as more colleges of magic for only the wizard to pick from? If I had to pick a favorite spell of these I would go with Silence!! I would stick with the titles you have. Ventomagistar or what ever sounds gay, like wine police. :lol: You are Killing it keep up the good work. I would like to see a Summoner character Class . :2cents:
ALL YOUR WALL SPELL BASES ARE BELONG TO US!!!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mako-heart

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » May 3rd, 2014, 4:23 pm

Teldurn wrote:
chaoticprime wrote:A word on continuity. "Aqua" is Latin. "Aero" is Greek. "Hydro" is Greek for water and "Vento" is Latin for wind. "Aero" was adopted into Latin from Greek, but it means air-air, not like weather but the stuff from within your lungs. It also means farts. Its fair to use "-mancer," although it literally refers to an insane person who claims that they can divine using whatever the first word is. Its actually a derivation of the word "maniac." The two historical references are "geomancer" and "necromancer." Each means "divination by means of earth/death." The Latin word "magister" means "master of." So "Ventomagistre" is an example of the vocative form.

Food for thought.

Thank you. I will consider renaming them appropriately for improved cohesion.

Also, I would like to point out that the Illusionist has spells that others (usually) believe are real. How does that not classify as illusions? How is it you feel that does not fit? It isn't so much, "If I can think it, I can do it," as much as it is, "If you believe it is real, then it is," which is the whole point, I think.

Oh, if that's the manner of illusion you mean, then its fine. You did not specify "optical," I merely assumed so.

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » May 3rd, 2014, 5:41 pm

mako-heart wrote:Teldurn you did a kick ass job on these I really like what you have done with these I had a quick question though.
What character is allowed to play these spell?
example the party consists of
1 wizard 3 spell colleges. GS
1 elf 1 spell college the "left over" or elf spells 3 spells
1 Illusionist 9 spells of illusion. New figure new stats? New hero?
1 Aeromancer 9 spells of air . another new figure new stats? new hero?
1 aquamancer 9 spells of water. Another new figure new stats? new hero?
Or did you set this up as more colleges of magic for only the wizard to pick from? If I had to pick a favorite spell of these I would go with Silence!! I would stick with the titles you have. Ventomagistar or what ever sounds gay, like wine police. :lol: You are Killing it keep up the good work. I would like to see a Summoner character Class . :2cents:

Thank you very much!
Actually, in this rules overhaul, I've gotten rid of the original 4 heroes. For HQP, you first choose one of five races, then choose one of twenty-two classes. The spells I have listed here are for three of those twenty-two: Aqua Hydromancer (thanks cp), Aeromancer, and Illusionist.

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » May 3rd, 2014, 8:08 pm

mako-heart wrote:Teldurn you did a kick ass job on these I really like what you have done with these I had a quick question though.
Ventomagistar or what ever sounds gay, like wine police. :lol: You are Killing it keep up the good work. I would like to see a Summoner character Class . :2cents:

You're merely expressing a known-bias. For instance, the word "wizard" contains the word "wiz" inside of it. If its okay to extend context to completely inappropriate word-roots like "-mancer," but not okay to use the actual, logical equivalents, why even appreciate differences?

"-mancer": You Divine your Inspiration; and by letting its power into your mind, you are able control energizing primal forces that may or may not house wills of their own. Historically, this was something Aleister Crowley came up with.

Magician: You use Arts to channel hidden natural forces, or spells, you are able to produce wondrous feats of magic. Historically, this was sleight-of-hand or practical optical illusion.

Sorcerer: You use Arts that channel energizing primal forces, you are able to produce wondrous feats of magic. Historically, this was fortune-telling (pre-psychic).

Wizard: You use Wisdom to affect the natural order of the world around you. Historically, this just meant you were wise.

Sophist: You use Sophia, or Holy Wisdom, to enact the will of a god. Historically, this is the the religious point-of-view, and the enemy of logic. Explaining something as being the result of something unexplainable is sophism (ie, religion).

Mage: Short for "magic-user." Made up in 1994.

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » May 4th, 2014, 8:32 am

chaoticprime wrote:Oh, if that's the manner of illusion you mean, then its fine. You did not specify "optical," I merely assumed so.

I suppose "Mentalist" would be more accurate than Illusionist?

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to HeroQuest Prime