• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack][WIP] Conquering Despair

All topics related to the HeroQuest Prime project are discussed here.

Re: [Quest Pack][WIP] Conquering Despair

Postby Daedalus » April 24th, 2015, 12:39 am

Quest 14
It just occurred to me that throughout all Quests of the expansion it might be helpful to label each monster consistently with the same number on the maps. For example, Skeleton Warriors would always be labeled 2a, no matter the Quest. Do you think this would make recognition easier?

Another point I've been wondering about is if the Heroes' spells will be enough to last through to the end of this Quest. I don't remember the benefits of the various gems of the circlet. Do you think it would help to add a partial spell replenishing point just for the casters? I don't have a full handle on the scope of this Quest, as the tower rooms are large and contain a lot of foes that will put the hurt on quickly. I get the feeling the Wizard (at least) will flag at some point or must heavily ration spells until the end.

4th floor:
A. This appears to relate to HQP movement over furniture, which in my mind classes the shelves with unclimbable bookcases. I'd allow elevation here only if at least half of a square contained low furniture--namely, the two desks. Both could be labeled with an "A" to make plain they may be climbed. The circular table is not an issue and clearly can be climbed using the HQP rules.

B. I think it's enough to just let M/Z figure out how to randomly choose the two scroll spells. As M/Z player, I wouldn't mind some suggested spells instead or as an option. That way I wouldn't need to stop the game to make the choice.

C. Alternative text:
This spiral stairway leads both upward to the 5th floor at "A" and downward to the 3rd floor.

5th floor:
A. [same location and initial text of original D] Alternative text:
This spiral stairway leads downward to the 4th floor.

B. [substitute or add this location letter to the square of each chest, initial text of original A] Alternative text:
(4 separate searches and disarms)
These treasure chests are each magically trapped to explode simultaneously, though their traps are so carefully concealed that each must be found separately. If a Hero adjacent to a chest searches it for treasure before its trap is disarmed, all four chests are immediately destroyed along with any remaining contents (a Caster or Hybrid-classed Hero recognizes the remnants as destroyed potions.) Additionally, any Hero within 1 adjacent or diagonal square of an exploding chest suffers 2 Body Points of damage. A Hero that searches for treasure after first disarming its trap finds one potion from the set of two Potions of Clarity and two Potions of Panacea. Tell the Heroes what would have happened to just that chest if they hadn't disarmed it first.
I guess you could have all 4 traps found with a single search as per the standard rules. I'm not for it because once all traps are revealed the Heroes are sure to remove them before opening any chest. (I've just noticed Quest 8 of KK does something similar with 1 search for traps with 3 trapped chests.) Perhaps the method above is unfair?

(1 search and disarm)
These treasure chests are all magically bound with a single trap to explode simultaneously. If a Hero adjacent to a chest searches it for treasure before the trap is disarmed, all four chests are immediately destroyed along with any remaining contents (a Caster or Hybrid-classed Hero recognizes the remnants as destroyed potions.) Additionally, any Hero within 1 adjacent or diagonal square of an exploding chest suffers 2 Body Points of damage. A Hero that searches for treasure after first disarming the trap finds 2 Potions of Clarity and 2 Potions of Panacea. Tell the Heroes what would have happened if they hadn't disarmed the trap first.

C. [same location and initial text of original C] Altered text:
Tell the Heroes the plinth at the center of this room is topped with a smoked quartz bust of a kingly figure without a crown. As a special action, the Hero with the Everlasting Circlet may place it on the king's head. If this is done, Outh’velok will start with 2 fewer Body Points, Mind Points, Attack Dice, and Defend Dice than what is stated in the notes for the 6th floor. In addition, the lich will not revive after its Body Points are reduced to 0.
I went with smoked quartz to match the gray head in the note from Kazgotul, but you could instead make the map head match the color of the crystal on the plinth. Perhaps some effect should be added after placement so the Heroes don't try to remove the circlet for its powers. Something like the room starts darkened and forboding, but visibly lightens while the circlet remains on the statue. Maybe the Parchment Text from this Quest should mention something about the lich only being vulnerable to defeat after the circlet is restored to Lady Argand's ancestor. The circlet could even meld into the stone of the bust.

D. [same location and initial text of original B] Alternative text:
This spiral stairway leads upward to the 6th floor.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » April 24th, 2015, 6:02 pm

Quest 14

6th Floor: Alternative text
Notes:
The Lich Outh’velok begins at the square marked "X." Use the Chaos Warlock figure to represent him. He knows the following Chaos Spells: Lightning Bolt, Command, Summon Undead, Fear, Cloud of Chaos, and Rust. Most of his stats are reduced by 2 if the circlet rests on the 5th-floor bust. Otherwise, use the higher set of stats:
.._________. . . . __________. . . . __________. . . . __________. . . . __________
MOVEMENT. . . . . . . . . . .ATTACK. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .DEFEND. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . BODY. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..MIND
..____7____ . . ____6/4____. . . . . ..____6/4____. . . .. ___10/8___. . . . ___10/8___

When the Lich suffers any Body Points of damage, he floats up through the ceiling opening to the 7th floor without attacking. He waits there at the square marked "XX." If the circlet isn't on the bust, then killing the lich merely causes him to disappear until his next turn. He can restore his starting Body and Mind Points and reform an unlimited number of times at the square marked "X," though he can't regain any cast spells. Outh’velok can only be permanently killed if the Heroes reduce his Body Points to 0 while the Everlasting Circlet rests on the 5th-floor bust. If the Heroes manage this, tell them that the lich is destroyed forever. The Heroes have conquered Despair!

A. [same location and initial text of original A] Alternative text:
This spiral stairway leads downward to the 5th floor.

B. [same location and initial text of original B] Alternative text:
This open stairway curves upward to the 7th floor.

7th Floor: Alternative text
Notes:
This final floor is where the lich Outh’velok will prefer to do battle with the Heroes. The lich waits at the space marked "XX" after he has taken one or more Body Points of damage on the 6th floor. Use the spells, stats, and conditions of destruction found in the notes for the 6th floor.

This stairway curves downward to the 6th floor.

At last! :D I wouldn't mind seeing an epilogue and even an introduction, though. :)
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » April 26th, 2015, 12:37 am

Wow, you've been busy, haha! I just got back and saw there were several posts here. I haven't read through them yet, but when I am a little more rested (the vacation was absolutely hellish and just very bad all around :/ ), then I will go back and re-read what you wrote. I'll have comments at that time.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » May 5th, 2015, 10:43 pm

Warning: This is a very long post, as it encompasses the last several replies by the ever-vigilant Daedalus, who has most definitely earned his title of Editor in Chief.

Quest 6
Daedalus wrote:Hmm. There are potentially 25 villagers to rescue. I don't really know how many should be expected to survive, but I imagine roughly 2/3 or more will make it. That's 480-750 gold coins at 30 per head. If the monsters were to force the Heroes to retreat early the total bounty would lessen while still allowing for the possibility of this greater reward. It looks like you've got a bunch of threat out there, but it's hard to be sure without a playtest if it's enough to drive them back. It might be safer to lower their number and/or go down to 20 gold coins for each rescued villager. They're commoners, after all. :P

Fair point. Dropped down to 20 per head until and unless a playtest proves otherwise.

Daedalus wrote:I like both the activated portals and preset monster ideas as they more efficiently dole out the challenge with less need for tracking random movement. Some other thoughts for governing monster tracking on the map:

• Perhaps a monster starting outside of the Heroes' sight areas should be removed if it doesn't become visible on its next turn.
  • Maybe a monster could continue moving on the map only if it was on a route toward a Hero or the druid. Otherwise it is removed.
  • A monster remains on the map only if it has LOS to a Hero or the druid at the end of its movement.
One thing I wasn't clear on is whether a monster's random direction applies only as it emerges from a portal, or if its direction randomly changes each turn. The former makes more sense to me, but if it uses paths it would again need to randomly choose its route at an intersection. Would a monster instead ignore paths and move over grass when wandering? I think sticking to paths is simplest and preferable until a monster is within the Heroes' sight radius or until it has LOS to the Heroes.

Have a great vacation, any further posts can wait to be read until you get back.

Changes made. I like the idea of sticking to a path and being removed if it moves off the board and the two-turn movement to be in LOS or be removed.

Quest 9
Daedalus wrote:I've just noticed that the exit to Quest 12 at location F is blocked by greenery. I'd suggest moving the location letter onto the blocking greenery to eliminate the issue. However, if printed tiles were to be used the Greenery would still be visible. Maybe move the letter just before the greenery, instead.

I think you meant Quest 9, and you're right. It's now fixed.

Quest 13
Daedalus wrote:Find the Ice Forge. Combine your Gems of Power to reforge the Everlasting Circlet. Then make your way inside the Tower to save the sorcerer. Then prepare to take on the evil lich. > Find the Ice Forge and combine your Gems of Power to reforge the Everlasting Circlet. Then make your way inside the Tower to find the sorcerer before taking on the evil lich.

Notes:
Perhaps you could add a reason why there isn't a return to the Armory and Alchemist's Shop. Outh’velok may have summoned a horde of undead that is surrounding the Tower of Despair-it may only be dispersed with Ough'velok's destruction. Otherwise, the tower may simply be too remote to be revisited, or there is a time constraint before he commits some blasphemous affront to the Empire.

I've written up a sufficiently thematic and dramatic fluff text about this here.

Daedalus wrote:](I've re-lettered this Quest, though this is less important than as in Quest 12. I think you meant Quest 11, but no worries. :) )
A. [same as original B]

B. [same as original A]

C. [same as original D]

D. [add this location letter to both the lowest and highest square of the watchtower's spiral stairway] Alternative text:
Both of these landings are part of the watchtower's spiral stairway. Any Heroes or monsters that move onto one of these squares immediately move to the other landing and their turn is over.
I treated these stairs as safe trap doors as there must be more than the 6 visible steps to reach an upper-tower floor. This means the Skeletons on the upper floor get first attack against a Hero that reaches the top of the stairs. This seems fair to me, as fighting from below should incur some sort of penalty. If you prefer, you could instead have each square of stairway counts as 2 squares for movement purposes (borrowed from the icy river of the BQP.) [-edit]

E. [same location and initial text of original G] Alternative text:
This second story of the watchtower affords a great view the surroundings from its open wall. The "vicinity" of any monster or Hero on this floor who stands adjacent to the outer wall is extended three squares beyond. The Skeleton Archers begin revealed to any Hero on the ground at this enlarged distance. Additionally, any monster or Hero adjacent to the upper wall gains an extra die to defend against ranged attacks or resist spells directed from the ground. However, line of sight is blocked both to and from the outer surroundings for a figure on this floor who isn't adjacent to the wall, so don't reveal the Skeleton Warriors (or chests) until this floor is entered. The first Hero to search for treasure finds a Longbow, a Quiver of Arrows, and a Potion each of Cure, Restoration, and Healing in the chests.
I went for defensive advantage instead, as tower walls were built for protection.

I like the defensive angle you did here.

Daedalus wrote:F. [same location as original F]
Gargoyle statues make sense, yet the same trick has just been played at the Ice Forge. It's just a brainstorm, but for greater variety why not change the Gargoyles from monsters to traps that must be disarmed from an adjacent square? Perhaps both Gargoyles can each gout 1 combat die of flaming oil damage that can't be defended onto all four squares of the threshold when either door is opened (sort of like a blade trap.) Due to their height, they could be more difficult to disarm--the Dwarf needs anything but a skull rather than anything but a black shield. Additionally, both must be removed or the remaining Gargoyle trap still does its 1 die of damage. Now that I have it all down, it is a bit complex--I'll let you decide if there is anything worthwhile here.

Believe it or not, I had originally come up with a very, very similar trap like this that I wanted to use in Quest 11, but I couldn't make it fit anywhere without feeling like it was unnaturally present so I left it out. But here it fits nicely. I've even added markings on the four affected squares. As an added bonus, the trap can also explain why Kazgotul is so beaten up just inside. (I've added some additional flavor text to this effect, which I thought was nice.)

Daedalus wrote:G. [same location and initial text of original X] Alternative text:
A beaten and bloody Kazgotul is slumped on the throne at the square marked "G." Use the Chaos Warlock figure to represent him. He is in no shape to join the Heroes as a powerful curse prevents him from being healed. When the monsters in the room are killed, he weakly holds out a piece of paper bearing a drawing of a crown. It has jewels of different colors set in it and an arrow pointing to a gray-colored head, as if to indicate how to wear the crown. Kazgotul says the Circlet is the key to defeating Outh’velok, then he succumbs to his wounds.

H. [same location and initial text is from original E] Alternative text:
A treasure chest located at this square contains 2 Potions of Resistance and a Potion of Invisibility.

I. [same location and initial text is from original C] Alternative text:
These stairways both lead upward into the Tower of Despair; a Hero who moves onto either may exit this Quest. If the Everlasting Circlet hasn't yet been reforged, Kazgotul coughs up some blood and struggles to remind the Heroes that this task must first be completed before they ascend if they hope to defeat Outh’velok. [-edit]

This last point is a great catch, as it provides an ingame reminder of their quest objective. It might seem a little silly for him to suddenly reawaken after succumbing to his wounds, but there's only so much that can be done within the framework of a Quest. Handwaving this away as GM fiat is perfectly acceptable the way I see it. :D

Daedalus wrote:Quest 13
There is no shopping trip between Quests--check. What about regaining spells, Body Points and Mind Points? I assume they are meant to be regained as per the standard rules, but a thematic explanation would be nice as the Heroes are just climbing a level of the tower. Some thoughts:

• No explanation--the Heroes just get them back as with KK or RotWL. I suppose they rest up on the first floor.
  • The Circlet restores lost spells, BPs and MPs as an after effect of of the forging process. Kazgotul or his note can impart this.
  • The throne or dais it rests on can restore spells. The chest contains enough potions to heal Body and Mind Points.

I intended that Body and Mind Points and spells would be restored. So I've written up something appropriately epic to recharge the Heroes here.

Quest 14
Daedalus wrote:Notes:
I'm probably getting too literal, but the spiral stairs between floors don't quite work for me as actual movement. They only wind 2 or 3 squares and appear too tiny for actual use. Still, they are cool and I'd understand if you prefer to use the squares as pictured for actual movement. I could see each square of a spiral stair costing 1 extra movement to account for the discrepancy (similar to low furniture from HQP.) Alternatively, the trap-door method of joining floors used in the watchtower of the last Quest could also work here.

Figure that for other RPG standards, a one-inch square is 5 feet. Since the actual physics of miniatures makes it impossible for accurate simulation at that scale, it makes it seem that one square is not big enough. When in fact it actually is. That said, I still like the trap door method of exiting here.

Daedalus wrote:2nd Floor:
I changed the location letters a bit.

This stairway has low side rails. Tell the Heroes as a special attack action, a Hero adjacent to a Skeleton may attempt to push it straight back over a side. That Skeleton immediately rolls one combat die. If it rolls anything but a black shield, it plummets and shatters on the floor below.
I made things a tactically harder for the Heroes to push and restricted vulnerable monsters to lighter Skeletons. I suppose a Chaos Warrior could be made to be pushed as well, but I'd at least allow this heavier monster to throw 3 combat dice to resist. Also, it might be advisable to include that Skeleton Warriors advance onto the stairs to attack if possible. If this isn't scripted, why would a M/Z player risk easily losing his monsters? OK, some would do so for the dramatic fall, but others wouldn't and this cool opportunity would be lost.

I know some players prefer to turtle in an easily defensible area and let the monsters come to them. The stairs here are just that sort of position. And for players that rush in, well, the stairs rule won't matter. :P

Daedalus wrote:B. [bump the location letter toward the middle of the room, use same location and initial text of original C] Alternative text:
The Skeleton Warriors here begin seated on chairs. They must first stand up, so they only have a move of 5 on their first turn.
I changed this a bit to make it more plain only 1 movement square was lost. A M/Z player with less experience with HQP might mistake "one extra movement" to mean the full movement of a turn. Not absolutely necessary.

The Main Game System comes with 4 Skeletons. RotWL comes with 8. This room requires 6 Skeleton Warriors and 4 Skeleton Archers. I'd add a note at the beginning of the Quest Booklet that mentions monster figures needed to play the Quest Pack.

Note changed to reflect this at the beginning.

Daedalus wrote:C. [same location and initial text of original B] Alternative text:
This spiral stairway leads upward [-edit] to the 3rd floor.

3rd Floor:
I changed the location letters a bit.

A. [same location and initial text of original B] Alternative text:
This spiral stairway leads both upward to the 4th floor and downward [-edit] to the 2nd floor.

B. [same location and initial text of original A] Alternative text:
Both treasure chests at the squares marked "A" are empty.

C. [same location and initial text of original C] Alternative text:
The crenelated embrasures around this perimeter are wide enough to potentially fall out of. Tell the Heroes as a special attack action, a Hero adjacent to a Zombie or Mummy may attempt to push it straight back out of an adjacent embrasure. A Zombie immediately rolls 1 combat die, while a Mummy rolls 2. Unless either monster rolls a black shield, it plummets and is destroyed far below.

Daedalus wrote:Quest 14
It just occurred to me that throughout all Quests of the expansion it might be helpful to label each monster consistently with the same number on the maps. For example, Skeleton Warriors would always be labeled 2a, no matter the Quest. Do you think this would make recognition easier?

I thought about that at the beginning while I was still working out how best to label the maps. I decided having questbook-wide consistency might seem orderly when taken as a whole, but for individual quests it would probably look odd if the numbers don't go in order. So that's what I did.

Daedalus wrote:Another point I've been wondering about is if the Heroes' spells will be enough to last through to the end of this Quest. I don't remember the benefits of the various gems of the circlet. Do you think it would help to add a partial spell replenishing point just for the casters? I don't have a full handle on the scope of this Quest, as the tower rooms are large and contain a lot of foes that will put the hurt on quickly. I get the feeling the Wizard (at least) will flag at some point or must heavily ration spells until the end.

There are three things to keep in mind. 1. HQP does not have a Wizard hero, per se. The closest approximation would be one of the Elementalists (Geomancer, Pyromancer, etc.), who have 9 spells to work with; 2. Even though the same spell can't be cast more than once per encounter, they can still be reused in different encounters; and 3. Spells cost Mind Points to cast, and they regenerate at the rate of 1 point every 3 rounds (excepting that one of the gem artifacts increases this to 1 per 2 rounds), so even a reckless caster who casts a spell every single round will have roughly 12 turns before they are run aground and need to rest or drink a potion -- most encounters don't last a fraction that long. The only offensive or defensive resource that players would need to be mindful of (outside of potions and spell scrolls) are Skills, which might usable be once per Quest.

Daedalus wrote:4th floor:
A. This appears to relate to HQP movement over furniture, which in my mind classes the shelves with unclimbable bookcases. I'd allow elevation here only if at least half of a square contained low furniture--namely, the two desks. Both could be labeled with an "A" to make plain they may be climbed. The circular table is not an issue and clearly can be climbed using the HQP rules.

B. I think it's enough to just let M/Z figure out how to randomly choose the two scroll spells. As M/Z player, I wouldn't mind some suggested spells instead or as an option. That way I wouldn't need to stop the game to make the choice.

C. Alternative text:
This spiral stairway leads both upward to the 5th floor at "A" and downward to the 3rd floor.

Fair enough, on all points.

Daedalus wrote:5th floor:
A. [same location and initial text of original D] Alternative text:
This spiral stairway leads downward to the 4th floor.

B. [substitute or add this location letter to the square of each chest, initial text of original A] Alternative text:
(4 separate searches and disarms)
These treasure chests are each magically trapped to explode simultaneously, though their traps are so carefully concealed that each must be found separately. If a Hero adjacent to a chest searches it for treasure before its trap is disarmed, all four chests are immediately destroyed along with any remaining contents (a Caster or Hybrid-classed Hero recognizes the remnants as destroyed potions.) Additionally, any Hero within 1 adjacent or diagonal square of an exploding chest suffers 2 Body Points of damage. A Hero that searches for treasure after first disarming its trap finds one potion from the set of two Potions of Clarity and two Potions of Panacea. Tell the Heroes what would have happened to just that chest if they hadn't disarmed it first.
I guess you could have all 4 traps found with a single search as per the standard rules. I'm not for it because once all traps are revealed the Heroes are sure to remove them before opening any chest. (I've just noticed Quest 8 of KK does something similar with 1 search for traps with 3 trapped chests.) Perhaps the method above is unfair?

Unfair, schmunfair. If the players are careless, let them reap what they sow and take the consequences. :twisted:

Daedalus wrote:(1 search and disarm)
These treasure chests are all magically bound with a single trap to explode simultaneously. If a Hero adjacent to a chest searches it for treasure before the trap is disarmed, all four chests are immediately destroyed along with any remaining contents (a Caster or Hybrid-classed Hero recognizes the remnants as destroyed potions.) Additionally, any Hero within 1 adjacent or diagonal square of an exploding chest suffers 2 Body Points of damage. A Hero that searches for treasure after first disarming the trap finds 2 Potions of Clarity and 2 Potions of Panacea. Tell the Heroes what would have happened if they hadn't disarmed the trap first.

C. [same location and initial text of original C] Altered text:
Tell the Heroes the plinth at the center of this room is topped with a smoked quartz bust of a kingly figure without a crown. As a special action, the Hero with the Everlasting Circlet may place it on the king's head. If this is done, Outh’velok will start with 2 fewer Body Points, Mind Points, Attack Dice, and Defend Dice than what is stated in the notes for the 6th floor. In addition, the lich will not revive after its Body Points are reduced to 0.
I went with smoked quartz to match the gray head in the note from Kazgotul, but you could instead make the map head match the color of the crystal on the plinth. Perhaps some effect should be added after placement so the Heroes don't try to remove the circlet for its powers. Something like the room starts darkened and forboding, but visibly lightens while the circlet remains on the statue. Maybe the Parchment Text from this Quest should mention something about the lich only being vulnerable to defeat after the circlet is restored to Lady Argand's ancestor. The circlet could even meld into the stone of the bust.

This is as far in my edits as I've gotten, but yes. I imagined the circlet would become part of the bust, perhaps with some smoke and magical fusion.

Daedalus wrote:D. [same location and initial text of original B] Alternative text:
This spiral stairway leads upward to the 6th floor.

Daedalus wrote:Quest 14

6th Floor: Alternative text
Notes:
The Lich Outh’velok begins at the square marked "X." Use the Chaos Warlock figure to represent him. He knows the following Chaos Spells: Lightning Bolt, Command, Summon Undead, Fear, Cloud of Chaos, and Rust. Most of his stats are reduced by 2 if the circlet rests on the 5th-floor bust. Otherwise, use the higher set of stats:
.._________. . . . __________. . . . __________. . . . __________. . . . __________
MOVEMENT. . . . . . . . . . .ATTACK. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .DEFEND. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . BODY. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..MIND
..____7____ . . ____6/4____. . . . . ..____6/4____. . . .. ___10/8___. . . . ___10/8___

When the Lich suffers any Body Points of damage, he floats up through the ceiling opening to the 7th floor without attacking. He waits there at the square marked "XX." If the circlet isn't on the bust, then killing the lich merely causes him to disappear until his next turn. He can restore his starting Body and Mind Points and reform an unlimited number of times at the square marked "X," though he can't regain any cast spells. Outh’velok can only be permanently killed if the Heroes reduce his Body Points to 0 while the Everlasting Circlet rests on the 5th-floor bust. If the Heroes manage this, tell them that the lich is destroyed forever. The Heroes have conquered Despair!

This spiral stairway leads downward to the 5th floor.

B. [same location and initial text of original B] Alternative text:
This open stairway curves upward to the 7th floor.

7th Floor: Alternative text
Notes:
This final floor is where the lich Outh’velok will prefer to do battle with the Heroes. The lich waits at the space marked "XX" after he has taken one or more Body Points of damage on the 6th floor. Use the spells, stats, and conditions of destruction found in the notes for the 6th floor.

This stairway curves downward to the 6th floor.

At last! :D I wouldn't mind seeing an epilogue and even an introduction, though. :)

Once I get to this part, then sure. I don't mind adding an intro and outro. Then hopefully, I can call it quits and release the whole package. :D

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » May 7th, 2015, 4:20 pm

And now the last changes are done, as are the introduction and conclusion.

I think I like what I've gotten, but I still feel they can be improved.

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » May 12th, 2015, 5:14 pm

I got a very good friend of mine to lend me his vocal talents. He does voice acting on the side so I asked him to record the intro and outro. What he sent me blew my mind.

Introduction: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0b8K ... authuser=0

Conclusion: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0b8K ... authuser=0

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » May 18th, 2015, 5:37 pm

Sorry I haven't had the time for response, but when available I'll take a look at the long post. Congrats on landing some more talent!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » August 26th, 2015, 12:54 pm

Did you get a chance to play this with your online group?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » August 26th, 2015, 1:01 pm

Daedalus wrote:Did you get a chance to play this with your online group?

No, not yet. :oops: My schedule is pretty bad these days (I have an almost-4-hour commute every day, 1.5 - 2 hours each way), so by the time I get home, all I want to do is spend time with my family, and in the last half hour before bed, unwind with some video games.

I haven't found the inspiration to put into what essentially amounts to "work" to organize this game. I have all the maps already uploaded, but they haven't been populated with tokens or doors yet, and I don't have a group confirmed.

Maybe soon, though. We'll see. :)

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby MoreWoodenDice » August 28th, 2023, 7:28 pm

This sounds amazing! Did you ever release it?
Looking for: MAP to Skulmar's Fellowship of Four Quest, Hunt for Heaven, & The Rise of Skulmar.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map
MoreWoodenDice

Zombie
Zombie

PreviousNext

Return to HeroQuest Prime