• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Altorf Chronicles

All topics relating to Altdorf Chronicles project should be discussed here.

The Altorf Chronicles

Postby Gold Bearer » May 8th, 2014, 4:48 am

I've got an idea for a quest set that's in its early stages but I thought I'd share it because I think it could work really well. The heroes will be based in a city, I thought about making one up but I think it's probably better to stick to the game world where HQ is set. It will be split into several districts (Central, Elvin, Dwarven, Magic, Outskirts, maybe more) and the story will be split into chapters with NPCs coming in and out of the party. Sometimes the characters will split up because they'll be more than one thing going on at the time and decisions made between quests will affect the quests themselves and it will blur the line between what's a quest and what isn't with bits set around the city.

I've got a basic set of 25 quest ideas as a spine that I'll build around, like helping to defend the city from an invasion, pulling off a daring heist and becoming outlaws for a while if they get caught until they expose the corrupt officials, troll and skavin filled sewers that they can use to move around the city underground, stuff like that and some other more ambitious ideas I'm looking forward to developing. I'll probably but in side quests that aren't automatically available, like going to the tavern and overhearing about a hidden cave and stuff like that. I don't want to give too much away because I'd like to get a PBP going eventually with this.

After each chapter the characters will level up and something new will open up, like owning a equipment shop to sell items at full price and opening an academy where they can improve their followers by turning European version men-at-arms into US versions for example, and the area around the city will open up so they've got more places to explore and they'll be rules for travelling with random events and pre-determined ones. They'll be random events and things in the city they can do like fight in the coliseum, explore surrounding areas, maybe become sheriffs.

Comments and suggestions very welcome.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: The Altorf Chronicles

Postby Sjeng » May 8th, 2014, 6:38 am

I'm reminded of the Chronicles quest pack, and the 25th anniversary quest pack now. Procrastination sickness.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Teldurn » May 8th, 2014, 9:44 am

Definitely worth following the progress on this. Good luck, man!
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby wraeccan » May 8th, 2014, 10:13 am

Sounds interesting.
Would it be worth trying to get hold of one of the 1st ed. WFRP campaigns and trying to adapt it?
wraeccan

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » May 8th, 2014, 1:47 pm

wraeccan wrote:Sounds interesting.
Would it be worth trying to get hold of one of the 1st ed. WFRP campaigns and trying to adapt it?
I've never even looked at them before. When I've got all of my ideas down and I'm happy with them I'll start looking at other material for interesting things to add.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: 4. HQ25 Story Arc discussion

Postby Gold Bearer » June 29th, 2014, 8:04 am

[EDIT: This post and the following three were moved from the HQ25th Brainstorming topic.]

I wasn't sure if should be making a new thread for this post or if it would be better to keep things together. I'll just post it here and it can be moved by a mod if need be.

Sjeng, I think you should use your expanded armoury for this, mine's a bit big for a shortish story but yours would be perfect. I think you need to add a great axe though. Standard A5. New equipment was the biggest thing the expansions were missing in my opinion. Also your random events would be a nice addition. Here's a few of the things I've done that I think could be used. Take them or leave them, just thought I'd throw in some ideas. They could of course be mixed and matched, like taking the spells without but not the battle wizards for example.

These rules are very simple upgrades for the original characters. Maybe they could start out having the first set and then one of the artefacts they get allows Mentor to do some ritual to improve the characters before the final chapter.

Barbarian - Attack on black shields in melee.
Dwarf - Defend on black shields.
Elf and Wizard - Wizards Of Morcar spells added. Wizard picks one, Elf picks one, Wizard picks two, Elf picks one, Wizard has the other two. Elf rolls three movement dice and ignores the lowest.

Barbarian - Black shields count as two skulls in melee.
Dwarf - Black shields count as two white shields.
Elf and Wizard - Wizard picks one, Elf picks one, Wizard has the other five. Elf has Elf spells, Bracers and Cloak Of Protection are added to available equipment for the Wizard.

I think my battle wizards could make nice mercenary additions, or as NPCs. It would introduce these spells. viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2454&p=41262#p41262 Maybe they could be available to buy individually as scrolls.

They all have 3BP and 5MP and roll two dice for movement and use the highest. I also think there should be ogre mercenaries.

Fire Mage (Fire Wizard/Bright Wizard model): Attack = 3, Defend = 2.
Race: Human. Class: Fire Mage. Equipment: Broad Sword.
Spells: Fire spells, Fireball, two random Talisman spells.

Sage (Wizard/Grey Wizard model): Attack = 3, Defend = 2.
Race: Human. Class: Sage. Equipment: Broad Sword.
Spells: Air spells, Lightning Bolt, two random Talisman spells.

Priest (Priest/Light Wizard model): Attack = 2, Defend = 2.
Race: Human. Class: Priest. Equipment: Sword.
Spells: Water spells, Water Walking, two random Talisman spells.

Druid (Druid/Jade Wizard model): Attack = 2, Defend = 2.
Race: Human. Class: Druid. Equipment: Sword.
Spells: Earth spells, Healing, two random Talisman spells.

Warlock (Shaman/Amber Wizard or HQ Chaos Sorcerer model): Attack = 2 (Spear), Defend = 3.
Race: Human. Class: Warlock. Equipment: Spear, Dagger, Cloak Of Protection.
Spells: Darkness spells, Curse, two random Talisman spells.

Seer (Astronomer/Celestial Wizard model): Attack = 1 (Dagger), Defend = 4.
Race: Human. Class: Seer. Equipment: Dagger, Bracers, Cloak Of Protection.
Spells: Detection spells, Divination, two random Talisman spells.

Alchemist (Alchemist/Gold Wizard model): Attack = 1 (Dagger), Defend = 4.
Race: Human. Class: Alchemist. Equipment: Dagger, Bracers, Cloak Of Protection.
Spells: Protection spells, Alchemy, two random Talisman spells.

Ogre Mercenary: Movement = ?, Attack = ?, Defend = ?, BP = ?, MP = ?.

Maybe an artefact for the wizard that allows him to use the spell components to cast without using a spell card would be good, and of course the storm wand for combined spells. :)
Last edited by Daedalus on August 5th, 2014, 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: moved from HQ25th Brainstorming topic

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » June 29th, 2014, 10:22 am

Sjeng wrote:We decided on which heroes to use, and the result was to stick with the original 4.
Well they were meant as mercenaries and there should probably be a rule that only one can be taken in the party (because of rivalry). If not then fine. I think there should be an ogre mercenary though. Spearmen and bowmen would be nice and very simple additions to the mercenaries as well.

Sjeng wrote:Heck, I always forget the -2 movement penalty the first 2 rounds of play with the platemail, until someone reminds me.
:?:

Sjeng wrote:But we could throw in the expanded armoury. That's basically just a reference sheet. And there's a deck with these items too so players could take the cards and not have to remember what it does. The axe is also a good idea. If others agree, I'm all for it.
Goblin-King wrote:The armory should stay the same. Any needed equipment can be done as Artifacts.
I'm with Sjeng, I think the armoury could do with a few new additions of basic equipment, artefacts should have some kind of magical effect. Although thinking about it, I don't think it was your armoury that I had in mind, no offence. :) I saw one that was done a while ago that only had 2 or 3 additions. Here's the basic equipment I think should be introduced, assuming you're using the US rules.

Hand Axe, 175gp.
Spear, 225gp.
Halberd, A3 (Diagonal, Barbarian and Elf), 250gp.
Bow, A2, 250gp.
Crossbow and Battleaxe now 400gp.
Great Sword, A4 (Diagonal, Barbarian and Elf), 550gp.
Great Axe, A5 (Barbarian and Dwarf), 750gp.
Bastard Sword, A5 (Diagonal, Barbarian), 900gp.

Goblin-King wrote:Gold Bearer, your post is enough new stuff for an entire expansion on it's own! :D
Tis but a tiny fraction. :)

Goblin-King wrote:Not a fan of hero extra skills either. IF we really need skills this should be done via artifacts. I'd also like to add that I don't think any artifact should be tailored to one specific hero. They should all be of some use for anybody. If an artifact allows for extra spells then you opened up a can of worms for magic barbarians. That's just the way it is.
I think hero specific items are a good idea, it's already done in the standard rules for the wizard and in the Japanese rules for all of them. Those skills could easily be applied to artefacts. Maybe as artefacts that are paired up, Either one and you get the first level, both and you get the second.

Goblin-King wrote:Battle wizard mercenaries are more advanced than the heroes!
They've only got three BP and they're quite slow.

Goblin-King wrote:We can do spell scrolls as per tradition. if I recall correctly they were found as artifacts?
I'd really like to see those spells used in this. I think a spell book artefact that can be used by the wizard or elf that gives two or three random spells per quest, or maybe two random and one chosen, as well as the scrolls (for sale as well?) would be nice way to incorporate them. Only spell casters should be able to use scrolls though. If you don't want to change that rule then it should at least apply to these scrolls.
Last edited by Daedalus on August 5th, 2014, 4:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » June 29th, 2014, 11:05 am

Oh :), I've got it. A wizard only spell book artefact that gives three random talisman spells per quest and an elf only spell book artefact that gives two random elf spells per quest to introduce those as well.

I think my spirit sword would be a nice artefact addition if you want it because it's simple. A3 and the opponent defends with as many dice as they have MP. I think it's better than the spirit blade.

I should have included the bracers and cloak of protection for the wizard in the new equipment as well. They're already established as standard equipment rather than artefacts but maybe they should be limited on availability, like they can only be bought in magic shops and they're fairly rare. The same could apply to scrolls.

Maybe the bow should be barbarian and elf only.
Last edited by Daedalus on August 5th, 2014, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » June 29th, 2014, 6:09 pm

Oh dear, I seem to have accidently invented a thread slayer class. Now the knife's in I may as well twist it with some more suggestions.

Talisman Spell Book: Allows the wizard to draw three random talisman spells at the start of each quest.

Elvin Spell Book: Allows the elf to draw two random elf spells at the start of each quest.

Chaos Spell Book: Allows either the wizard or elf to draw one random chaos spell at the start of each quest.

Chaos Amulet: Allows the wizard to use one of the three chaos sorcerer spells (Dominate, Mind Blast, Mind Lock) once per quest.

Roll a combat dice at the start of each evil wizard player turn and on a black shield a wandering monster is placed on ant square/s out of sight of all of the heroes and followers.

I've got an idea for the three basic crushing weapons as well. They make the target roll one less defence dice. That makes them different and it actually kind of makes sense. Armour would be much more usful against edged weapons than impact ones.

Club: A1, can be used by the wizard, 100gp.

Hammer: As handaxe, 200gp.

Mace: As broadsword, 300gp.

Flail: As longsword, 400gp.
Last edited by Daedalus on August 5th, 2014, 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

New p-b-p Campaign

Postby Gold Bearer » November 1st, 2014, 1:06 pm

[EDIT: This post and the following 4 were moved from the New p-b-p Campaign thread in the General Discussion Room.]

I didn't think I'd be able to run a pbp game with my custom characters without getting the heroscribe addon pack working but there's enough icons to cover any combination of heroes because of the dark warrior and elf swordsmanand spearman icons. The campaign isn't fully written yet, I've done four quests so far, but I'll be making new ones as we go along so the shouldn't be any waiting between quests. It will be using expanded Euro rules with these monster stats for the original monsters: :goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. The heroes can backtrack their steps in the same turn, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to do that, and they can sell equipment for half it's value to buy, assuming they're somewhere that has an armoury. We'll use the US shock rule for reaching 0MP and adventurers can't attack each other. Other new content, apart from the new heroes, will be gradually introduced as the campaign progresses.

Players can choose their characters from the sixteen (that include the original four) in the opening posts of this topic: viewtopic.php?f=203&t=2645 Characters with daggers can attack diagonally (they can't be thrown, that's knives in my rules), helms give an extra defense dice against falling objects, bucklers give an extra defense dice against physical ranged attacks, the hand crossbow is a one combat dice ranged attack and armour is taken into account on their stats. Without armour dwarvens defend with two dice, humans with one and elvens with none. Dwarvens can see in the dark and Elvens can shoot twice with a bow if they move more more than half rate, others can shoot twice with a bow if they don't move. The Knight and Gnome move eight without armour.

Random movement conversion: 1 = Lowest of three dice, 2 = Lowest of two dice, 4 = One dice, 6 = Highest of two dice, 8 = Two dice, 10 = Highest of three dice, 12 = Three dice.

When a hero dies that hero can't be chosen again. Players can choose a replacement freely, including any of the heroes I'm made accept for the battle magicians, I want to use those as mercenaries. I was intending for each hero of the initial sixteen to unlock four others as replacement options but I haven't finished them all yet, if I have by the time someone dies we'll do that and if not you can just pick freely.

We won't be keeping track of XP, the heroes will become champions and get 50gp after three quests, veterans and 100gp after six, masters and 150gp after nine and legends and 200gp after twelve quests. The mountain dwarf's money rewards work differently but the progression to legend is the same.

At the start of each of my turns I'll roll a combat dice and on a black shield a wandering monster will be placed on a random square in sight of an adventurer that's adjacent to an out of sight square that's connects to an unexplored area if there is one. On a white shield I'll roll a standard dice and use the table below.

1 - Wandering monster! A wandering monster attacks a random adventurer.
2 - Monster patrol! The same rules as rolling a black shield except that the monster can imediately take a turn.
3 - Trap! A random adventurer looses 1BP on the roll of a skull and 1MP on the roll of a black shield.
4 - The GM draws a random evil wizard card.
5 - A random hero draws a treasure card.
6 - A random hero finds treasure. Roll a combat dice. On a skull they find D6x10 gold coins, on a white shield they find a random potion and on a black shield they find a random scroll from a random spell set.

When the dungeon is clear (aside from anything that needs a secret door to access) I'll stop rolling the combat dice on my turn and you can dhose to leave at any time without having to move to the exit.

We're using the EURO weapons rules and stats except that the staff and crossbow (and other ranged weapons that don't say otherwise) are two handed. You can still carry a shield with a two handed weapon but once you've attacked you can't switch to a shield until your next turn. You can have more than one of each type of equipment, we definitely not using that rule, but in some places (villages) there's only one of each type available. You can always use your attacking action to pick up something to use as a club. Clubs attack with one dice, can be used by anyone, can't be carried if another melee weapon is equipped and they aren't worth anything.

Once you become a champion you can hire men-at-arms, when you become a veteran you can hire elite men-at-arms (US stats and rules), when you become a master you can hire an ogre mercenary and when you become a legend you can hire a battle magician. That's assuming you happen to be somewhere they're available from of course.

Each hero can have a maximum of four followers (WoM rule), and the party can only contain one ogre, one battle wizard, one battle sorcerer and one battle mage, because of rivalry.

Only characters with a magic level (zero counts) can use scrolls.

Characters can see over low fernature.

Monsters set off traps (why wouldn't they?).

I'll be adding a couple of potions to the treasure deck, a potion of defense and a potion of bravery to give the US rock skin and courage effects and I'll add one monster patrol and one gas trap to offset the two extra potions and maybe a couple of nothings.

I've altered a dew of Sjeng's evil wizard cards to make them compatible with a p-b-p game and toned down a few that I thought were overpowered, mainly because they could be used at any time. I've also replaced the pit trap with chaos assault from an older version of the cards because placing a pit trap in the wrong place could make an erea unreachable.

The p-b-p thread is here for anyone interested: viewtopic.php?f=162&t=2673&p=46534#p46534

Greetings brave adventures. As you know I am a powerful wizard working in service for the of the empire. I started out like you, as one of a group of fresh faced young adventure seekers working for our powerful wizard emisary of the emperor and my personal mentor, er, Mentor. I hope you'll have the honour of meeting him soon. I have guided many new adventurers over recent years and a few of them are very much alive and well. The Empire is still suffering from repeated attacks from an ever increasing number greenskins. I'm to join with my comrades to help protect the city of Altorf from an army that marches from the wordls edge mountains. A lair has been discovered in the mountains that seems to be of great strategic importance to the greenskins. It should be almost deserted as the army marches north and many orcs were seen coming from the lair. We suspect that the greenskin hordes are being controlled by some other influence, as they seem to be far more organised than we have come to expect from thier kind. Your first quest together will be to enter the lair to see if you can discover anything about who's behind these attacks. When your quest is complete meet me back here in the village. Are we all clear? Excellent, go away.

Brief Hero Summary

Based on the standard HQ characters:
Barbarian: Can use bigger weapons more effectively than other characters and gets combat bonuses as he progresses.

Dwarf: Gets axe bonuses, magical resistance, and a defence boost as he progresses.

Elf: Gets increased magical abilities as he progresses.

Wizard: Has two fate points per adventure from the start that allow dice rerolls to offset being the weakest standard hero and gets increased magical powers as he progresses, including spell merging.

Based on Advanced Heroquest characters:
Fighter: Gets a speed bonus with armour and combat bonuses that are added to as he progresses.

Wood Elf: Fast bow expert who gets combat and mobility bonuses as he progresses.

Gnome: Versatile hero who is immune to hostile spells, has basic trap disarming and a search skill as standard and gets a hammer bonus and becomes a magician with chaos spells as he progresses.

Sorcerer: Powerful magician who can use spell components as he progresses.

Based on Dungeon Quest characters:
Ranger High BP hero who gets bow bonuses as he progresses.

Warrior: Able to dual wield and gets combat bonuses as he progresses.

Knight: The tank hero with magical resistance who gets a dispel bonus, armour mobility bonus and a cleansing of undead aura as he progresses.

Archer: The ultimate bowman who gets even better at it as he progresses.

Loosely based on Dark World characters:
Mountain Dwarf: The troll slayer who can't use armour or ranged weapons but attack with an extra dice when using an axe and gets combat bonuses as he progresses.

Swashbuckler: Skilful type character who specialises in one handed swords and gets combat bonuses as he progresses.

High Elf: Quick hero who has basic dual wielding ability and can cast from scrolls from the start who becomes a proper magician and gets cleansing chaos aura as he progresses.

Paladin: Healer who can turn undead but can only use crushing weapons and gets improved healing, a blessing skill and the ability to interchange BP and MP as he progresses.
Last edited by Daedalus on December 5th, 2014, 10:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Moved from General Discussion Room

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Altdorf Chronicles