• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Q1: "The Man Undercover" by TMU & MrBigB

Quests for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.
Forum rules
Please follow this format:

Post Subject: Q#. "Title" by "Author"

First Post: Map + Quest Notes

Following Posts: Public discussion.

Q1: "The Man Undercover" by TMU & MrBigB

Postby TMU » March 28th, 2016, 11:40 am

The heroes start from the the Ye Olde Inn-tile, around the table with four stools.

A - This is the Blacksmith. His stats are as follows:
Move 2
Attack 2 Defense 2
Body 2 Mind 2
If the heroes fail to kill the orcs, they will attack the Blacksmith. If Blacksmith is killed heroes can search for starting weapons, if not he will give the heroes weapons and a piece of armour they choose.
B - The chest has already been raided by attackers.
C - Use Church tile. The fimir has X Spell(s)
D - In the cupboard you find a potion.

The church will be other way around.
The Blacksmith? What do you think of him?
And in general, how's this quest? :D
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Q1: "The Man Undercover" by TMU & MrBigB

Postby TMU » March 28th, 2016, 12:12 pm

These are the tiles I skecthed.

Ye Olde Inn
Church

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Count Mohawk » March 28th, 2016, 12:24 pm

Minor NPCs are fine by and general, although I have a couple of questions about the Blacksmith. If he survives the Orcs' attack, will he go out to kill the other monsters like a Man-at-Arms, or does he stay inside his house after outfitting the Heroes? And if he goes out, who controls him?

Nice ideas for the tiles. I'm not good enough to do a proper artistic rendering of your concept art, but if someone did do them it's pretty easy to convert them to vectors to add to HeroScribe.

The quest itself looks pretty simple; even without starting with their equipment, I'd be surprised if any of the Heroes died. What's the objective, though, kill all the monsters?
Also, I don't think I'd have a Spell-toting Fimir in the very first Quest. Gotta save some concepts for the later levels, y'know? But the other side of the argument (i.e. yours) is not without merit. The best spell to give that Fimir is probably Ball of Flame; Lightning Bolt would be too good, and stuff like Fear has very little effect against a party of first-level Heroes.

Oh boy, HQ25 is alive again! Time to dust off the cabinet and pull out the notes!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » March 28th, 2016, 12:50 pm

Count Mohawk wrote:Minor NPCs are fine by and general, although I have a couple of questions about the Blacksmith. If he survives the Orcs' attack, will he go out to kill the other monsters like a Man-at-Arms, or does he stay inside his house after outfitting the Heroes? And if he goes out, who controls him?

Well the idea with the movement of 2 that he would not be of help on killing monsters. Then again his movement could be 0 just to make sure :)
Count Mohawk wrote:The quest itself looks pretty simple; even without starting with their equipment, I'd be surprised if any of the Heroes died. What's the objective, though, kill all the monsters?

I thought that this would be more like an introducing quest, so not that hard. I can tho add more monsters, no problemo :) Yes, the objective is to kill all the monsters.
Count Mohawk wrote:Also, I don't think I'd have a Spell-toting Fimir in the very first Quest. Gotta save some concepts for the later levels, y'know? But the other side of the argument (i.e. yours) is not without merit. The best spell to give that Fimir is probably Ball of Flame; Lightning Bolt would be too good, and stuff like Fear has very little effect against a party of first-level Heroes.

Idea here was that the fimir is doing some mambo jambo magic ritual (some spell), like doing an offering for Chaos forces, so he would be like a sorta boss of this level.
Count Mohawk wrote:Oh boy, HQ25 is alive again! Time to dust off the cabinet and pull out the notes!

This is what I hope others will do too! ;)

Rewards:
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Count Mohawk » March 28th, 2016, 1:04 pm

TMU wrote:
Count Mohawk wrote:The quest itself looks pretty simple; even without starting with their equipment, I'd be surprised if any of the Heroes died. What's the objective, though, kill all the monsters?

I thought that this would be more like an introducing quest, so not that hard. I can tho add more monsters, no problemo :) Yes, the objective is to kill all the monsters.

I didn't mean that the quest needed to be harder; but there is some room to add a couple more monsters. Maybe the Fimir boss has some goblin lackeys helping set the altar up? and some orcs patrolling the halls to make sure nothing goes awry, maybe

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » March 28th, 2016, 1:58 pm

I hear ya :) I'll get it done ;)

Rewards:
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » September 5th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Did a re-work for the first 3 Quests. Fluff needs...well...fluffed still. Just put basic notes as a guide. Don't have the *new tiles* in HeroScribe, obviously, so I used furniture as a temporary stand in. Same with new monster icons. Let me know what you think.

Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 7th, 2018, 6:39 pm

I've got some comments and loads of fluff options for ya.

Some Inn tiles already available:
Corner Ye Olde Inn
HeroQuest
Olde Agin's Inn Tiles: Guest Rooms, The Pub, The Cellar

HeroQuest
Agin's Inn Tiles: Guest Rooms, The Pub, The Dark Cellar

As this Quest stands, the Heroes are free to loot the village at will. Isn't this what the monsters are doing? Here's a fix I'd suggest for the Parchment Text:

While enjoying a meal of stew and ale at Ye Olde Inn, you are roused to action by a band of Orcs and Goblins. Recover your weapons from the armory and save who you can while you clear the marauders from the overrun village.
I don't see an exit as necessary as the Heroes are staying in the village. I'd remove it and move those Fimir, maybe to room E. I also wonder if the Parchment Text should be quoted in Mentor's voice. Something like this:

"Set your stew and ale aside, for Ye Olde Inn is under attack by a band of Orcs, Goblins, and Fimir! Recover your weapons from the armory and save who you can while you clear the marauders from the overrun village."
It may just be me, but I feel the NA 1AD weaponless rule is very bland.
There's also the weaponless rule from the EU Quest Book to choose from, but I'd modify it for balance. I'd recommend changing:

"The Heroes start with no weapons or armor. The village law states that it is to be kept at the Village Armory during their stay. The Heroes are allowed one combat die to Attack and two for defense." > . . . The Heroes start this Quest with no weapons. Village law requires they must be kept at the village armory during the Heroes' stay. The Heroes begin with their starting Attack Dice, but monsters defend with white shields until the Heroes can recover their swords.
Saving the blacksmith is a good idea. I think it would be even more interesting to include several more villagers on the board in need of rescue. Should their monsters be defeated, tell the first Hero to search for treasure that the villager is grateful and offers 15 gold coins, all that can be spared. However, should other Heroes also search the same room (or corridor) their greed will upset the blacksmith.

B)This note states that if the Heroes don't defeat the Orcs, the blacksmith is killed and the Heroes must search the room to recover their weapons. However, the Orcs must first be removed from the room before a search can be made. Doesn't this entail killing the Orcs anyway? Also, there is no mention that the Heroes regain their weapons if the blacksmith survives, yet there they are if he dies. Was a trade-in implied? If this is the case, clarification would help, in my opinion.

I don't think it is a good idea to allow the players to choose any Armory item from the blacksmith. (Okay, what do you want? Battle Axe. Battle Axe. Battle Axe. Chain Mail--I'll give it to the Dwarf.) Rather, they should be limited to about 200 gold coins for an easy starting Quest, as with the original Quest Book. I'd instead recommend no more than 200 good coin credit from the blacksmith. Combined with treasure searches, that should get a couple items.

Another idea would be to allow the Heroes to sell their starting equipment and buy new equipment, both for half price. Combined with treasure searches, this could make a broadsword or two affordable.

Since looting the villager's possessions should be frowned upon by the blacksmith in my opinion, he should offer less of a deal--if any--to greedy Heroes. For instance, the 200 gold-coin credit could be cut down to half. In the half-price sell/buy option, the buy could be limited to just one item.

To represent the blacksmith's recognition and disapproval of stolen goods, each Hero with treasure not offered by grateful villagers must roll a combat die for each Treasure Card otherwise looted. If any black shields are rolled, the blacksmith reduces his bargain accordingly.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » September 7th, 2018, 7:55 pm

Daedalus wrote:I've got some comments and loads of fluff options for ya.

Corner Ye Olde Inn
HeroQuest
Olde Agin's Inn Tiles: Guest Rooms, The Pub, The Cellar

HeroQuest
Agin's Inn Tiles: Guest Rooms, The Pub, The Dark Cellar

These tiles are a little large and would take up most of the board. So I was sticking with TMU's drawing for a small pub.

As this Quest stands, the Heroes are free to loot the village at will. Isn't this what the monsters are doing?

I agree. There should be some sort of penalty for searching for treasure.

I don't see an exit as necessary as the Heroes are staying in the village. I'd remove it and move those Fimir, maybe to room E.

Quests need some sort of exit as an ending. They leave the village because it was just ransacked.

I also wonder if the Parchment Text should be quoted in Mentor's voice. Something like this:

It should be in Mentor's voice. I put a basic story and assumed whoever is finishing placing all the Quests together will make it all flow together.

There's also the weaponless rule from the EU Quest Book to choose from, but I'd modify it for balance. I'd recommend changing:

The rule could be vague by stating use the weaponless rules from the original Quest Book. I wouldn't want to modify original rules and throw people off. Plus this is only Quest 1 and not meant to get over-complicated.

Saving the blacksmith is a good idea. I think it would be even more interesting to include several more villagers on the board in need of rescue. Should their monsters be defeated, tell the first Hero to search for treasure that the villager is grateful and offers 15 gold coins, all that can be spared. However, should other Heroes also search the same room (or corridor) their greed will upset the blacksmith.

I like adding more villagers for treasure but it could get overcrowded fast.

B)This note states that if the Heroes don't defeat the Orcs, the blacksmith is killed and the Heroes must search the room to recover their weapons. However, the Orcs must first be removed from the room before a search can be made. Doesn't this entail killing the Orcs anyway? Also, there is no mention that the Heroes regain their weapons if the blacksmith survives, yet there they are if he dies. Was a trade-in implied? If this is the case, clarification would help, in my opinion.

Since looting the villager's possessions should be frowned upon by the blacksmith in my opinion, he should offer less of a deal--if any--to greedy Heroes. For instance, the 200 gold-coin credit could be cut down to half. In the half-price sell/buy option, the buy could be limited to just one item.

They would have to kill the Orcs with their bare-hands before the EWP's turn. If they fail to do so the Orcs try to kill the blacksmith. If the blacksmith dies then the Heroes can only get their starting weapons. If he lives they can choose a weapon instead of their starting weapon. (not both) Perhaps they can trade in their starting weapon at half value towards another item instead. His offer is off the table to any Hero if they do any treasure searches (looting the village).
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 9th, 2018, 7:29 pm

j_dean80 wrote:
Daedalus wrote:I've got some comments and loads of fluff options for ya.

Corner Ye Olde Inn
<snip>

These tiles are a little large and would take up most of the board. So I was sticking with TMU's drawing for a small pub.

I overloaded options there. Only one or two could possibly work. Big Bene's corner yeoldinn is the most workable with some modifications that needn't affect the Quest-flow. The main advantage is it is already available.

If TMU's MrBigB's plan is kept, either bed and chair tiles will need to be created or they should be dropped. (Come me to think of it, we might get lucky and get permission from Valnar Nightrunner or some other Inn member to use their furniture tiles.) Also, one of the tables on the map needs to be dropped, as the Game System only contains two. Perhaps a fireplace and throne can be added in if chair and bed tiles aren't made or a table is dropped.

j_dean80 wrote:
I don't see an exit as necessary as the Heroes are staying in the village. I'd remove it and move those Fimir, maybe to room E.

Quests need some sort of exit as an ending. They leave the village because it was just ransacked.

I get ya. The Parchment Text can fluff-fix this by explaining why the Heroes must exit. Perhaps mention of rescuing captured villagers or pursuing the culprits to their lair can fit the exit into the Quest objectives.

j_dean80 wrote:

The rule could be vague by stating use the weaponless rules from the original Quest Book. I wouldn't want to modify original rules and throw people off. Plus this is only Quest 1 and not meant to get over-complicated.

Good point about about a simple start. I'd even say the weaponless start would best be dropped for that reason. Quest 3 relies on the no-weapon McGuffin, so it would be stronger to first feature that rule there, whatever the form. The special in this Quest is rescuing the blacksmith and possibly other villagers.

I appreciate your effort to accommodate my suggestion, but we shouldn't rely on a separate Quest Book for how to run ours. Any special rule belongs in the Quest using it or at the beginning of the Quest Pack. The unmodified EU rule wouldn't apply in a first Quest anyways, as the characters' weaponless, starting combat dice don't improve when they recover their starting weapons.

j_dean80 wrote:

I like adding more villagers for treasure but it could get overcrowded fast.

Well, it is a town, but perhaps you're right. What about adding in one villager in each of 3 or 4 of the larger rooms and increasing each villager reward to 5 gold coins times the result of two red dice? That way the Heroes can earn an honest reward and both the Elf and Dwarf get a chance at a sword upgrade with the blacksmith's discount favor.

If we use villagers, they don't need stats (or figs.) If a monster can get at the square marked with a "V" on Morcar's/Zargon's turn, it may attack and kill him/her (denying the reward.) Some villagers can be harder to rescue through initial placement.

j_dean80 wrote:They would have to kill the Orcs with their bare-hands before the EWP's turn. If they fail to do so the Orcs try to kill the blacksmith. If the blacksmith dies then the Heroes can only get their starting weapons. If he lives they can choose a weapon instead of their starting weapon. (not both) Perhaps they can trade in their starting weapon at half value towards another item instead. His offer is off the table to any Hero if they do any treasure searches (looting the village).

I see now. I was thinking the case covered if the Heroes left him behind for some reason. :? I'd suggest changing:
    "The "X" represents the Blacksmith. If the Heroes fail to defeat the Orcs, they will attack the blacksmith. If the blacksmith is defeated, the Heroes must perform a treasure search for their starting weapons. If the blacksmith survives, he will give each Hero one piece of their choosing from the game system Armory.
    The Blacksmith has the following stats: Movement:0 Attack:2 Defend:2 Body:2 Mind:2"
The new text:
    The "X" represents the Blacksmith. The first Hero to enter the room controls him on his turn, but the Blacksmith may not leave the armory. He will be attacked by the Orcs if they aren't immediately killed. [The first Hero to search for treasure will find the Heroes' equipment on the weapons rack.*] If the Blacksmith survives, the Heroes may buy and sell equipment as if they were visiting the Armory between Quests. Everything is half cost, but one combat die must be rolled for each Treasure Card gained looted. If a black shield is rolled, the Blacksmith disapproves and the discount is forfeited.
    Blacksmith: Movement:2 Attack:1 Defend:2 Body:2 Mind:2

*may be removed if the Heroes start with weapons

I lowered the Blacksmith's Attack Dice since I feel he shouldn't outshine the Heroes, particularly if they are fighting without weapons. He has his original move back as needed player control was added. I doubt it will matter much, but the Heroes may now protect him against one Orc through positioning.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to HQ25th Quests