• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hail and Greetings, fellow questors!

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

Hail and Greetings, fellow questors!

Postby Markus Darwath » November 21st, 2022, 3:24 am

Having newly registered here after lurking a short while, I figured I would introduce myself. My handle (dating myself with the use of that term) is of course at the top of this post. You may feel free to address me by whatever variant of said name you like (Markus, Mark, Darwath, MD... it's all good).

I played a lot of HQ with friends and family back in the 90s. I had acquired not only the base game, but all the expansions I could lay my hands on, Kellar's Keep, Return of the Witch Lord, Barbarian Quest Pack, and Elf Quest pack. Also purchased Advanced Hero Quest by GW and Dragon Strike (I think that was also MB), to end up mostly using the components of those games in expanding Hero Quest. I still have most of the minis, tiles, and cards from all of those sets, but sadly the boxes, boards, and booklets all fell victim to a wet basement situation.

My regular RPG group really got it's start from HQ all those years ago. I'd gotten a group of friends together to play on a weekly basis, and after a while we naturally ran through all the published quests and moved on to home-brew. These sessions started adding more and more role-play until we just jumped over to D&D. At that point about half our group were experienced D&D players and the other half were pretty well brand new to it. Our first foray into D&D started with playtesting a home-brew combat system where we borrowed the opposed roll concept from Hero Quest. Rather than rolling to hit a static armor class, and then random damage by weapon type, we had the targets also roll first to avoid the attack altogether and then to mitigate damage with their armor. This was DM'ed by our most experienced player, who ran us through the Temple of Elemental Evil set in his own campaign world. It ended up taking us nearly 2 years to get through that scenario, after which we decided that although our opposed roll combat was functional and felt more "realistic" it was ultimately too slow in resolving encounters. To this day I still use the HQ minis for D&D combat, freely using them to proxy for both characters and monsters as best I can.

In any event, I found Ye Old Inn after recently learning of the Avalon Hill HQ remake and searching for all HQ related resources I could find. I'm mildly disappointed that I long since missed the chance to get in on all the kickstarter extras, but I've nonetheless ordered everything currently available. I already have the new Kellar's Keep, Return of the Witch Lord, Frozen Horror, and Roue Heir of Elethorn in my possession. Still waiting on the base game as it was temporarily out of stock when I placed my order. Amazon did have it showing as being up for delivery today (Sunday) but apparently ran into some additional shipping delay. I'm hoping I'll have it in time for our "friendsgiving" dinner and game night this Friday.

So there we have it. Sorry I seem to have rambled on quite a bit.
Markus Darwath

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Hail and Greetings, fellow questors!

Postby QorDaq » November 21st, 2022, 4:48 pm

Welcome to the Inn.

Lots of great folks here, and plenty of homebrew and historical resources to peruse.
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » November 21st, 2022, 10:26 pm

Welcome to the Inn, Markus!

I see you have good old school stories, then this is surely a great place for you. Come on, let"s go inside...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: EspaƱol
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lpblanks » November 22nd, 2022, 1:58 pm

Well met! I also lurk way more than I post but always happy to see new folks around these parts.

Looking forward to seeing you around more!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
lpblanks

Skeleton
Skeleton

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Return to Ye Olde Lobby