• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

A ghost from the past reappears…

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

A ghost from the past reappears…

Postby iKarith » Wednesday March 10th, 2021 1:39am

I might be remembered, but probably more from B1FF's neck of the intarwebz…

I had a more ghostly avatar at the time, began some work with others to update the core rules with most of the common changes that are widely adopted by most everybody. Fell off the map because medical happenings happened, but that was ages ago. My notion was not only to bake in the rules playtesters had found to be effective, but also set everything up so it could be ordered from whomever you could get things printed from. Also wanted to work out good rules for solo play without actually just stealing B1FF's work outright. I don't think DriveThruRPG was a thing back then, and I dunno if they do things like cards or game boards.

GameCrafter existed, as did a couple of places you could get small batch custom card decks printed, but … yeah.

Anyway, heard Hasbro ('til all are one—insert vampire emoji here) has decided to reprint HQ. Interest rekindled! I dunno if I'll be able to get a set though since I wasn't in on the crowdfunded thing. My own original set is complete and painstakingly restored save the candlestick on my alchemist's bench because of course I have a flippin' broken candlestick. *sigh* I had an idea to do that with an LED candle and some fiber optic but it didn't and up happening. Neither did painting the minis. I'm legally blind, so I never developed the skill. Didn't really have others to game with.

So basically a bunch of stuff started that never got finished. Medical stuff will do that to you I guess.

Years later, hi!
"So I guess when renaissance fairs open again, people are gonna go to them and be like, 'I say, I hath not seen thee since the plague!'"
iKarith

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: A ghost from the past reappears…

Postby Kurgan » Wednesday March 10th, 2021 7:42pm

Glad you made it, welcome home though I can't say we've met before...
Kurgan

Swordsman
Swordsman

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Postby iKarith » Thursday March 11th, 2021 3:27am

Kurgan wrote:Glad you made it, welcome home though I can't say we've met before...

Thanks! It's good to be back thinking about this stuff again. With the end of the covidium on the horizon (I'm on Oregon, so "on the horizon might be 2024), I'm hoping I might be able to find some locals interested in playing. I think the major key to making that practical is successful rules for all of the players to be players. Otherwise as the guy trying to organize the game, it's pretty much guaranteed I'd only ever get to be the evil wizard, and I wanna smash some monsters too. :D
"So I guess when renaissance fairs open again, people are gonna go to them and be like, 'I say, I hath not seen thee since the plague!'"
iKarith

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby whitebeard » Thursday March 11th, 2021 10:30am

iKarith wrote:Otherwise as the guy trying to organize the game, it's pretty much guaranteed I'd only ever get to be the evil wizard, and I wanna smash some monsters too. :D

When we play, the heroes are assigned for the game night only. And while I prefer to play the Dwarf. The Wizard can be the most interesting/fun and even spectacular if you add three very minor spell component type artifacts you draw at random at the start of each mission. See the DungeonsDark Artifacts for example. [EDIT: I missed the "evil" part. sorry!]

What is a B1FF? Without knowing this, I honestly I found your re-introduction text quite cryptic. You were re-writing the rules and looking to publish with cards, etc? What I like about HQ is that the rules are so simple they don't need to be written down. But yeah the cards are in limited supply, I printed up my artifacts on GameCrafter.

I now also play Rangers of Shadow Deep and for that game I printed up like 200 blank cards and I write what I need on them. I find this system so nice I will likely do this next time I need cards for HeroQuest... Just put a giant HQ on one side and blank on the other.

Welcome back.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » Thursday March 11th, 2021 1:28pm

Some of us have had good luck playing remotely for the time being... are you able to use Zoom? The free version is pretty un-restricted right now and might be useful to you, especially if you have a spare webcam lying around (or even just a smart phone).
Kurgan

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:

Postby lestodante » Thursday March 11th, 2021 2:41pm

I don't know you, but welcome back!!!

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » Friday March 12th, 2021 3:15pm

whitebeard wrote:What is a B1FF?

Biff was a member of the Old Scratch's HQ forums.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stig » Saturday March 13th, 2021 3:45pm

Biff, I loved OldScratch! Thats what got me here. Welcome. So sad the site disappeared. Had a very "unique" tone |_P

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Destroyed a Zombie!
Stig

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby iKarith » Saturday March 13th, 2021 4:57pm

whitebeard wrote:
iKarith wrote:Otherwise as the guy trying to organize the game, it's pretty much guaranteed I'd only ever get to be the evil wizard, and I wanna smash some monsters too. :D

When we play, the heroes are assigned for the game night only. And while I prefer to play the Dwarf. The Wizard can be the most interesting/fun and even spectacular if you add three very minor spell component type artifacts you draw at random at the start of each mission. See the DungeonsDark Artifacts for example. [EDIT: I missed the "evil" part. sorry!]

Hopefully I'll soon be able to conscript players. :D

whitebeard wrote:What is a B1FF? Without knowing this, I honestly I found your re-introduction text quite cryptic. You were re-writing the rules and looking to publish with cards, etc? What I like about HQ is that the rules are so simple they don't need to be written down. But yeah the cards are in limited supply, I printed up my artifacts on GameCrafter.

I now also play Rangers of Shadow Deep and for that game I printed up like 200 blank cards and I write what I need on them. I find this system so nice I will likely do this next time I need cards for HeroQuest... Just put a giant HQ on one side and blank on the other.

Welcome back.

Who, not what. He's a guy who ran another HQ forum that seems to be gone now. Old Scratch's. Adapted the basic HQ rules and some generally comedic ridiculousness into a print and play game. I probably have a beta version of it around here somewhere. Don't think I got a chance to download the final version (or even if there ultimately was a final version.) His game was more or less HQ rules set to different boards and adventures and the ability to play all as adventurers. His game mechanic alterations would provide the Evil Wizard actions for you.

(Another game that was made based loosely on HQ's rules is Mice and Mystics. Much love for that game!)

Anyway, what a few of us were doing (B1FF wasn't involved in this effort as he already had his own project) was:

- Fold in some of the most popular house rules into the rule book, print and play style.
- Basically steal B1FF's threat card rules (or something like it) to allow single player
- Redo a few art assets to make expansions work with the wide hallway boards people were using
- Put the whole thing somewhere people could contribute translations.

Not really trying to heavily modify the game per se, just to put the common base rules lots of us were actually using into a nice form for people wanting to use them.

Then as now, a few people were having trouble completing their base sets for a fair price, let alone finding expansions. I realized someone could take what we were talking about and what others had been doing (setting up to print cards so they could add their own and have a consistent set, selecting Reaper Bones minis that'd sub for HQ's standards, etc.) a person could take what we did and homebrew the whole game. That wasn't the point—but it was something I thought of and was okay with. After all, HQ was very OOP, and since Hasbro owned the rights to it and the totally unknown competitor of D&D … I figured HQ would only see a reprint if Hell froze over or there was like a global pandemic or something.

And since obviously nothing like that would happen … yeah.

I guess Hell froze over, because it's not like we've been dealing with a global pandemic for over a year now, right? :mrgreen:

But it'd still be nice to put together the stuff I originally had in mind. New HeroQuest will probably not change more than required since Games Workshop isn't involved to maintain nostalgia. Nostalgia is great and all, but … the original game has some balance issues and a few of the rules lend to very predictable samey behavior. Which is why we came up with alternate rules to rebalance things, expand replayability, etc. So … still worth doing it.
iKarith

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby iKarith » Saturday March 13th, 2021 4:59pm

Kurgan wrote:Some of us have had good luck playing remotely for the time being... are you able to use Zoom? The free version is pretty un-restricted right now and might be useful to you, especially if you have a spare webcam lying around (or even just a smart phone).

I've done a little with Google Meet on my phone, but working out something more workable. I'm legally blind so I definitely want my big 27" monitor in front of my eyeballs to try and play a game. Should be able to make something work in a couple of weeks.
iKarith

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Next

Return to Ye Olde Lobby