• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

New kid in the dungeon

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

New kid in the dungeon

Postby Bfriudo » May 28th, 2017, 10:05 am

Hello everybody. Another Hero Quest freak has joined the ranks today, inspired during yet again another search for cards and stuff. Can't believe I didn't notice this forum during the past years. My apologies...
To be honest, I have been lurking on this forum for a couple of months already, and it does deserve subscriptions. The quantity and quality of the resources is amazing, and rushed me towards yet another complete game overhaul. I hope you want to bear a little of my own HQ experience...
It was a gift from my mother on such a far Christmas, I can't recall which year it was. Although to the day I have only met a couple of guys from the towns and cities around that owned the game, it was for us a huge success. I often read of people not finding others to play the game and that saddens me: this never happened here. Whoever tried to play with us was completely hooked, from the geekest geek to the rough street boy who spends his afternoons harassing other kids, and this went unbelievably on through the years. Til a few years ago, people would still pull our sleeve from time to time asking if we had any new maps or campaigns ready, asking to bring Hero Quest along when we met at their homes, organizing weekly meetings to play yet another map. Having a slightly younger brother with the same interests has only doubled the effect and brought in twice as many people in the thing.
The bad thing is that the game was just too good that we overplayed it, meaning that it's in a pretty battered state by now. Also, being young kids around playing too, it has been often "mishandled", if you allow. One idiot guy marked the treasure cards with small pen marks while my brother was in the toilet once, and then claimed it wasn't him though it was only the two of them. Ah. Since that day I can't let players draw treasure cards, they have to say a number and the master draws from the hidden treasure deck...meh. That guy is still an idiot.
Miniatures are in poor conditions. More than half of the miniatures lost their weapons over time, including heroes (the elf is broken from his base...), furniture has various damage. Fortunately, we managed to strengthen the ranks through Battlemasters, 6th ed. Warhammer (I believe) and some game a friend owned and I believe it was called Zargon's something...
Our painting ability is far from good. Being kids we were just satisfied with putting some color straight on the mini without bothering to give white bases, etc. Also, we used brushes dating back to the 60s...yeah, my father's old brushes he used at school. We managed to get a few decent ones though, but the paint isnt holding too well as the years go by.
The final coup-de-grace was given by my mother's dog. She found Heroquest and happily chewed through some of the box cardboard and god knows what small parts she ingested. Also ate some bookcase...
I will let you know one last anecdote from my HQ gaming experience for now: I never played a game with 2 mummies. All I remember is I was so freaking excited when I opened the box, I broke one of the mummies while removing it from the sprues. The miniature broke right at the ankles and we never managed to keep it on his feet with glue, it would always bend down. Poor mummy. But as a result, you really don't wanna meet a mummy in my maps.
And in case you're wondering: yes the Dwarf is intact.
Bfriudo

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: Italiano
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: New kid in the dungeon

Postby knightkrawler » May 28th, 2017, 11:24 am

Welcome to the forum and many thanks for that recount! |_P

A few things spring to mind:
- for marking cards that idiot should be eaten by that dog
- the plastic glue available today is a blessing
- you're probably talking about Legend of Zagor there
- I can't be mad at the dog
- that dog should have eaten that idiot marking the cards
- the game is there for playing, so fret not because of a battered copy. It's how you see it was loved hard over and over...
if you're looking for replcements, there is everything available for every size of money bag. You can even get paper miniatures. Everything here and then some.
- idiots marking cards AND THEN LYING ABOUT IT should be eaten by dogs
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » May 28th, 2017, 11:54 am

Welcome to the inn!

Agree with kk about that idiot should be eaten by the dog. :x

Also if you are willing to spend a little cash getting a few replacement parts cheap-ish from eBay isn't impossible.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Bfriudo » May 28th, 2017, 12:43 pm

knightkrawler wrote:- for marking cards that idiot should be eaten by that dog

Heh. He would also lie saying his NES games were his parents' and he could not lend them to us, but wanted ours lent. Like hell. Could go on forever, but guess what, destiny or whatever hasn't been kind to this person over time. Time has paid back.

knightkrawler wrote:- the plastic glue available today is a blessing

Yeah I should probably work that out as well as the other damage incurred. But there's lots of weapons and stuff to glue back as well.

knightkrawler wrote:- you're probably talking about Legend of Zagor there

Now that you make me think of it, that might be just right. The miniatures blend very well with HQ although they have round bases. There's some sort of Chaos Champions with sickle-like 2 handers, a very nice troll with wooden club, skeletons with swords/shields, zombies wielding bones, and black miniatures who fit well for replacing damaged heroes.

knightkrawler wrote:- I can't be mad at the dog

Yeah, the dog is fully pardoned already. To be honest, that box should have been stashed in a higher place not in the bottom drawers.

knightkrawler wrote:- that dog should have eaten that idiot marking the cards

Unless the dog learns how to play a Time Travel card from our Warlock char, that can't happen. Or wait, I could go search for him. Or wait, I could spend that time doing you know, HQ stuff.

knightkrawler wrote:- the game is there for playing, so fret not because of a battered copy. It's how you see it was loved hard over and over...

100% agreed. I love my battered HQ and all the fun we have had. The memory of it alone is enough. Just feels a little bad when you look at those perfectly painted and preserved minis. But hey.

knightkrawler wrote:if you're looking for replcements, there is everything available for every size of money bag. You can even get paper miniatures. Everything here and then some.

Yep. Back in the day it was an issue but right it's affordable to get a little stuff for replacement or even minis from different games. Been peeking here and there with my brother to see what we could use. I'm usually more interested in working a well planned campaign than mantaining 100% original minis, although I understand this may sound heresy for someone.

knightkrawler wrote:- idiots marking cards AND THEN LYING ABOUT IT should be eaten by dogs

You know a random dog could always happily chew at him rather than at some random board game. It may happen...
Bfriudo

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Bfriudo » May 28th, 2017, 1:13 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Welcome to the inn!

Agree with kk about that idiot should be eaten by the dog. :x

Also if you are willing to spend a little cash getting a few replacement parts cheap-ish from eBay isn't impossible.

Thanks for the welcome and the tips. There's actually so much stuff around that it's hard to pick or evaluate the prices given our little experience. On a side note, I have to start thanking you for the many card images you posted. Those were promptly snatched and put to use in some huge decks I'm planning. And even if they won't see the light (still not sure about that) it's been fun making new ones.
Bfriudo

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby QorDaq » May 28th, 2017, 6:36 pm

Greetings Bfriudo,

... And welcome to the Inn. Great intro/ bio, I enjoyed reading that.

maj!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » May 28th, 2017, 10:35 pm

What a great tale of HQ filled youth. Your set has survived the greatest of Quests. Welcome.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Ye Olde Lobby