• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The tricky new guy jumps in for the introduction

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

The tricky new guy jumps in for the introduction

Postby Necronos » August 11th, 2014, 2:39 am

Hey you guys!

First, I'm new to Hero Quest - I first played it a few weeks ago. My buddy dragged it out of his closet so his son (aged 8) and my daughter (aged 7) could play it. Another friend played Zargon while the myself, my buddy, and the two kids played. I instantly fell in love with the game. So far we're three quests in and it's only getting better!

Second, I want to get my own set of HQ. I looked on ebay and I've been shocked to see how much the whole game goes for. I think I'm just going to use this site as a resource and build my own game. I've experience with other table top games so I know how to make the likes of furniture and I have a few miniatures laying around.

Third, while I was driving home after our last game I noticed that my daughter was a little dour. I asked what the matter was and she said that there was no girls in the game and it disappointed her. So, I'm going to get female versions of all the heroes and use a little bit of photoshop wizardry and change the hero cards so they have pictures of girls on them.

That's me...
Necronos

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: The tricky new guy jumps in for the introduction

Postby Sjeng » August 11th, 2014, 3:14 am

Hi and welcome to the Inn! And welcome to the wonderous world of HeroQuest too :D

Have a look here: gallery/album.php?album_id=23
And get the original board scanned by cyber333, and perhaps the Egyptian one by Iwanhoa too. Print those or have them printed on A3 (or the equivalent US format) or even larger, with the squares about 27mm / 30mm tops. The board will be bigger than the original, giving you more room to move and place furniture. The original 1" board is too crowded.

Then see the Reaper Miniatures website. It's a NA based miniature store, that has some very nice, detailed and cheap "Bones" miniatures. Lots to choose from, male and female heroes, plenty of orcs, goblins, kobolds, evil warriors and sorcerers, monsters, gargoyles etc. They fit in well, and the Bones plastic is a bit bendy, but holds acrylic paint very well. Child proof minis!

And should you want the "classic" models, a user from this forum, "ampersand", sculpted alternative poses for the dwarf, elf and wizard. Thantos, another user, is selling those from his webshop:
http://www.zealotminiatures.co.uk/shop. ... d=32660334
http://www.zealotminiatures.co.uk/shop. ... d=36254798

And he also has some great 3D doors and chests you can use:
http://www.zealotminiatures.co.uk/shop. ... d=26986153
http://www.zealotminiatures.co.uk/shop. ... d=32594391
http://www.zealotminiatures.co.uk/shop. ... d=32828589

Here are my 3D doors in play on my printed larger board: http://yeoldeinn-heroquest.blogspot.nl/ ... inted.html
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Big Bene » August 11th, 2014, 4:35 am

Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » August 11th, 2014, 9:58 am

And as an addition to these, there is also some paper furniture to be found here :) Or was it bed only? Can't remember :D

Welcome and happy gaming!
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Jimwise » August 11th, 2014, 10:12 am

Third, while I was driving home after our last game I noticed that my daughter was a little dour. I asked what the matter was and she said that there was no girls in the game and it disappointed her. So, I'm going to get female versions of all the heroes and use a little bit of photoshop wizardry and change the hero cards so they have pictures of girls on them.

Not to be underestimated! I knew my own girl would feel the same way, so I front loaded her with girl options. I didn't have the skill to create new cards for her, but I was quick to have her copy the important information on her cahracter (wizard) to a character sheet and then flip the card itself to the actions list. Now if I can find a way for her to get a unicorn pet/treasure/companion/whatever (a mini provided by Reaper that I own which she adores!), I may have her for life.

Best of luck! I think creating the game form scratch is awesome! You can buy chunks of HQ, such as card sets and dice, fairly cheap, so filling in the board with your own wealth of choices provided at Ye Olde Inn is a great way to go.
Jimwise
Sultan of Sandwiches
Sultan of Sandwiches
Jimwise

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby sajungzak » August 11th, 2014, 5:00 pm

Sjeng wrote:have them printed on A3 (or the equivalent US format) or even larger, with the squares about 27mm / 30mm

Up to 40mm is better, if you can
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mako-heart » August 11th, 2014, 6:35 pm

@ necronosImage
20140530-IMG_7716.jpg by Delobius, on FlickrImage
20140530-IMG_7718.jpg by Delobius, on FlickrImage
20140530-IMG_7715.jpg by Delobius, on FlickrImage
20140530-IMG_7714.jpg by Delobius, on FlickrImage
20140530-IMG_7713.jpg by Delobius, on FlickrImage
20140530-IMG_7712.jpg by Delobius, on FlickrImage
20140530-IMG_7711.jpg by Delobius, on FlickrImage
20140530-IMG_7708.jpg by Delobius, on FlickrImage
20140530-IMG_7707.jpg by Delobius, on Flickr
pm me i got some pretty cool spare charater cards i can mail you with some other things let me know. free of course ;)
check out my images they are the spare cards i speak of,
Last edited by mako-heart on August 11th, 2014, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALL YOUR WALL SPELL BASES ARE BELONG TO US!!!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mako-heart

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » August 11th, 2014, 6:48 pm

Get them into tabletop! Welcome.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » August 12th, 2014, 2:21 am

sajungzak wrote:
Sjeng wrote:have them printed on A3 (or the equivalent US format) or even larger, with the squares about 27mm / 30mm

Up to 40mm is better, if you can

I have to disagree. 40mm is way too big. 30mm is perfect. Otherwise, you'd also have to get larger furniture and doors etc. The stuff from websites such as Reaper and Zealot fits nicely on 30mm.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Necronos » August 12th, 2014, 2:48 am

Thanks for such the warm welcome!

I've checked out all the links posted and they were very much appreciated.

After talking to my wife about HQ recently it seems that she has been jealous that me and my youngest girl have been going off playing without her. Now the pressure to get a game set up at home as intensified! I can't believe just how completely inviting HQ is for non-table toppers (is that a phrase?) I've played for sometime before and my and my son play Warmachine from time to time, but not is looks like it's about to become an entire family affair :D
Necronos

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Ye Olde Lobby