• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Condial Greetings

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

Re: Condial Greetings

Postby Sjeng » December 10th, 2011, 9:31 am

Hi and welcome!

Never forget your heroes can buy gear, (armor, weapons and potions) between each quest. That plus the extra spells and mercenaries should do to get them through the next quest book. You could always download some unofficial (player made) and "semi"official (magazine) quests from Phoenix's website to play inbetween.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Condial Greetings

Postby Daedalus » December 11th, 2011, 5:24 pm

Nerrad72 wrote:...In my group I'm the true HQ fan. I'm willing to try anything to keep the game fresh and true to original style of the game. I need to find a good balance soon as I have found my group starting to cheat; not removing BP, making up money and not removing healing potions; no doubt because they keep dying. I use the golf saying of 'your only cheating yourself'

Does anyone use/have any 'Tokens' with a HQ feel, for which I could use to represents gold and healing potions. I'm going to use monopoly money for the time being!

Welcome. You've come to the right place- the Inne is rife with downloadable material! :D
That's the good news. The bad news is you'll need to make the game aids yourself. :(

Go to the Homepage and and click the Quests button. Scroll about 1/4 of the way down to find the Marvel Winter Special. It has skull markers within that have red backgrounds- those should do nicely for damage markers.

Though not ideal, you could also print up extra treasure cards from the quests that contain gold coins. In the European editions you can get denominations of 10, 20, 25, 50, and 100 GCs. To find the cards, go to the Homepage again, click the Gamesystem button, then the English flag (or flag of you choice). Scrolling about 2/3 of the way down you will find the treasure card PDFs.

If you're willing to go a step further and have a graphics program, you can create your own Gold Coin treasure cards of any denomination. Homepage once more, but scroll to the bottom. There you click the Design & Game Tools button, then scroll about 2/5 of the way down to get the European Card Template. You'll also want the HeroQuest Font Pack to get the card text right- it's found 2 entries below. The treasure art is found on the same page as well, a little more than 1/2 of the way down.

Hmmm... HeroQuest Monopoly money. It's a lot of work, but maybe I should should print some.

As for potions, rather than discarding a potion card and recording it, have the player simply keep the card by his character board. You will need to print extra potion cards if they are retained between quests, but if you're with me this far then this shouldn't be a problem. They are found with the gold coin cards in the treasure card PDFs. Alchemist's Shop potions from Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord can also be printed as cards. Click the Cards button at the bottom of the Homepage, then scroll about 1/3 down to find them. You'll also notice many other potion cards available form other expansions you may be using.

If you're willing to DIY, drathe has made the Inne a candy store- enjoy!
..
UNCLE ZARGON
Image
WANTS.. YOU


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 5329
Images: 14
Joined: May 9th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Condial Greetings

Postby Nerrad72 » December 12th, 2011, 5:14 am

Thank you all for your suggestions, especially cynthialee for the brilliant dwarf campaign idea!! That really flouted my boat and I have already started working on it. Rise of the Dwarfs :dwarf:
I plan to give each dwarf an additional special ability, along the lines of your suggestions, with the aid of then carrying them through to the quest campaign.

I am aware of the downloadable material available through this site, an absolute treasure trove which I have mercilessly been downloading, many thanks to daedalus for your pointers. There is so much I often become lost or lose my trail of thought, this is to your credit drathe- Leg End!
I have created additional treasure cards (solely containing gold) which I plan to add to the deck when my group have just started with new heroes, with the aid of speeding up their hero development.

I received my HQ game when I was 7! It was a choice between HQ and some other game called 'key to kingdom' which I have now played and is total pants!! Each time I open my set up I think to the xmas decision I made all those years ago. Oh my.... HQ may of never entered my life!!
My father wasn't into role play board games and couldn't fathom the rules |_P (I remember playing xmas day and my dad making the school boy error of placing out the contents of the rooms at the start). The following year my best friend also got the game and it was then we started, at the age of 8, to interpret the rules. Two decades later, with many revisions of 'our' own rules, we are now playing HQ currently and have been for the last 2 years. Unfortunately some of rules my best friend and I created, to fill in our inability to read let alone understand the rules, are now fondly missed by my group.

Example: Now being able to pass by monsters. We never allowed passing through monsters but also we didn't allow heroes or monsters to move through adjacent tiles where combat was possible. This lead to some strange circumnavigation of rooms to pass foes.

Am I correct in believing that you can do this?? conformation much appreciated.

The alchemist shop has been available since we started kellers keep but it little used. My group go straight to the armoury to blow their money. I have the additional potions from the BQP and EQP. I going to add some dwarf only potions, all alcohol based, I love the drunken dwarf idea cynthialee. |_P to you and to all evil wizards

Ta very much!
User avatar
Nerrad72

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior
 
Posts: 109
Joined: November 11th, 2011, 12:54 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Condial Greetings

Postby cynthialee » December 12th, 2011, 10:59 am

I don't let anyone pass through a place a monster or a hero is occupying. Combat or not.
Makes for some interesting tactics.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1848
Images: 4
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 10:56 am
Location: the forests of Washington State
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Condial Greetings

Postby Nerrad72 » December 12th, 2011, 4:33 pm

I'm sorry I think I wasn't clear, but I was wondering if you can pass a monster i.e. adjacent to it not through it. Blocking is an essential part of the game, the way i used to play somewhat increased this.

My youthful logic was that a monster or a hero couldn't pass a monster without the urge to attack. I also used to play that a hero or monster had a sort of 'zone of control', not allowing anything offensive to pass/move through in the four adjacent tiles around it. The character would be considered 'locked' in combat. Hope I've made sense
User avatar
Nerrad72

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior
 
Posts: 109
Joined: November 11th, 2011, 12:54 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Condial Greetings

Postby Goblin-King » December 12th, 2011, 5:32 pm

What you describe sounds like a rule I thought about for another game I'm making myself.

Basically you can never move FROM a square adjacent to a monster to another square adjacent to a monster.
The logic is that you can't just wade past a monster. It will try to hit you and you will have to deal with that.

But you can always move away from a monster.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Condial Greetings

Postby drathe » December 13th, 2011, 1:35 am

Interesting idea. However, I wouldn't prevent the hero from passing a monster on an adjacent square entirely. Instead, I would work it more like a spear trap. In order to move beyond a square adjacent to a monster, roll one combat die. If a skull is rolled, the hero is blocked by the monster and cannot proceed. If a shield is rolled, the hero evades the monster and may continue their movement.
Image


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
User avatar
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper
 
Posts: 2935
Images: 103
Joined: August 16th, 2008, 2:55 pm
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Previous

Return to Ye Olde Lobby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests