• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack

Brainstorming topics for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.

Re: Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack

Postby MrBigB » December 4th, 2013, 11:58 am

Hero_Of_Retro wrote:Cool! Is GIMP a good program to use for the work on the cards and that, ive been looking for something better than MS Paint. :lol: But really im not too sure whats really best.


GIMP is an open source program that is more or less a clone of Photoshop. I'm sure there is stuff Photoshop can do but GIMP can't, but what GIMP does do for free is pretty impressive in my book.

You can try it here: http://www.gimp.org
"Hey guys, I'm having a really good time."


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle
 
Posts: 133
Joined: November 6th, 2013, 2:04 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack

Postby Hero_Of_Retro » December 4th, 2013, 12:00 pm

Thank you, I will give this a good look. |_P


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Hero_Of_Retro

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 389
Images: 2
Joined: May 8th, 2013, 4:16 pm
Location: Scotland. UK.
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack

Postby Goblin-King » December 4th, 2013, 12:13 pm

I think someone should volunteer to be editor of cards.
If 10 different people design and create cards it's bound to vary in quality and overall look.
Let different people write and create images, but let one person put it together.

As for the cards...
I think the logo should be on the text-side, small in the bottom corner.

I've seen people create cards with the (C) MB 19XX bla bla in the bottom.
For starters not even all original cards have this. So it's not mandatory for the "right" look.
And second, the material is not even all (c) MB etc. I think we should simply omit that text.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack

Postby Hero_Of_Retro » December 4th, 2013, 12:31 pm

My best so far is rough drafts. :) barely close to standard.. :P but now that I have something better to use.. will take me a while to understand how everything works. Hope to be a better editor soon though. :D


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Hero_Of_Retro

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman
 
Posts: 389
Images: 2
Joined: May 8th, 2013, 4:16 pm
Location: Scotland. UK.
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack

Postby Patroclus » December 4th, 2013, 12:51 pm

About the quests I am still saying that, for the best result, we should do a contest for each quest. For example if the first quest is “the mines of grey mountains, where the heroes should find the talisman vs skaven”, we should gather as many quests as possible for this first quest and do a poll to choose the best. And I think 10 quests are enough for an expansion. Also, the names of the winners of each quest contest will go to the “special thanks” page at the end of the booklet.

About the cards you could give me images of 500x375 pixels (or something like that) to use the HQ Card Maker for the best results- and creates cards for both versions (NA, EU) with just one click.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 658
Images: 19
Joined: January 31st, 2011, 9:07 am
Location: Athens, Greece
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack

Postby Goblin-King » December 4th, 2013, 1:10 pm

Patroclus wrote:About the cards you could give me images of 500x375 pixels (or something like that) to use the HQ Card Maker for the best results- and creates cards for both versions (NA, EU) with just one click.

Seems like you just volunteered to be editor of cards. Excellent! |_P

Depending on the amount of cards I might volunteer to draw some original drawings. I'm not gonna do 50 though! :lol:
I think with a little study I could probably make them look pretty Gary Chalk-like.

Designing quests... I don't hate the poll idea per se, but personally I'm not gonna make 10+ quests just to have most discarded. I'd rather concentrate on a few well thought out quests.
Anyways, I'm thinking that no submitted quest is anyone's personal baby. Any quest is open to suggestions and changes. Same goes for any submitted material for that matter. :2cents:


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack

Postby MrBigB » December 4th, 2013, 1:47 pm

Patroclus wrote:About the cards you could give me images of 500x375 pixels (or something like that) to use the HQ Card Maker for the best results- and creates cards for both versions (NA, EU) with just one click.


I'd be happy to help make/edit any of the cards as well :-)

Goblin-King wrote:As for the cards...
I think the logo should be on the text-side, small in the bottom corner.

I've seen people create cards with the (C) MB 19XX bla bla in the bottom.
For starters not even all original cards have this. So it's not mandatory for the "right" look.
And second, the material is not even all (c) MB etc. I think we should simply omit that text.


Like this?
Image
"Hey guys, I'm having a really good time."


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
User avatar
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle
 
Posts: 133
Joined: November 6th, 2013, 2:04 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack

Postby Goblin-King » December 4th, 2013, 1:56 pm

Exactly- perhaps a tad smaller though. Some cards may have more text and needs the extra space.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror
 
Posts: 3545
Images: 85
Joined: September 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm
Location: Sønderholm, Denmark
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack

Postby Sjeng » December 4th, 2013, 2:34 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Until we get the poll, I'll use this time to share the plot I had considered myself.

* Village is raided by EVIL. Only four (heroes) escape - rest is killed or kidnapped. Heroes are contacted by Mentor.
* Raid seems too well coordinated - too accurate for sandpeople. Something's wrong. Heroes sent to investigate EVIL lair. Maybe free villagers?
* Discovers that SUPER EVIL seems to be guiding EVIL.
* Travel to AREA
* Investigate SUPER EVIL LAIR.
* SUPER EVIL are gathering slaves from all over the surrounding lands to be sacrificed at the SUPER EVIL temple in EVIL AREA - In order to awaken/summon SUPER AVATAR OF EVIL
* Must travel to temple. On the way nearby town is destroyed! Oh noes! SUPER AVATAR OF EVIL has already been summoned.
* Abort and instead gather X,Y and Z to unsommon. Go on crazy adventures.
* Travel to Temple to finally kill all SUPER EVIL and unsummon SUPER AVATAR OF EVIL.

Use some, all or nothing at all :)


Most of these are roughly what I was thinking hehe. I am stealing that Evil Avatar idea though, I love it. I'll copy paste yours and add my thoughts.

Q1 * Village is raided by EVIL. Only four (heroes) escape - rest is killed or kidnapped. Heroes are contacted by Mentor. Basic orc/goblin/fimir emenies.
Q2-Q3 * Raid seems too well coordinated - too accurate for sandpeople. Something's wrong. Heroes sent to investigate EVIL lair. Maybe free villagers? (2 part quest, upper level and lower level lair) Basic orc/goblin/fimir emenies.
Q4-Q5 * Discovers that SUPER EVIL seems to be guiding EVIL. * Travel to AREA. (a trip through a dangerous area, maybe two) Basic orc/goblin/fimir emenies plus chaos enemies.
Q6-Q7 * Investigate SUPER EVIL LAIR. (multi level) * SUPER EVIL are gathering slaves from all over the surrounding lands to be sacrificed at the SUPER EVIL temple in EVIL AREA - In order to awaken/summon SUPER AVATAR OF EVIL Basic orc/goblin/fimir emenies plus chaos enemies, perhaps some undead here and there.
Q8-Q9 * Must travel to temple. (another voyage through a cave or crypt or something. Undead enemies.) On the way nearby town is destroyed! Oh noes! SUPER AVATAR OF EVIL has already been summoned. ("town map" quest)
Q10-Q19* Abort and instead gather X,Y and Z and Q to unsommon. Go on crazy adventures. Perhaps 2 maps per item, and a final quest to combine the artifacts, which leaves 1 quest to improvise something. I would suggest these 4 artifacts to be hero-boosting items, such as the amulet of the north. Something specific for each hero. Anything allowed per quest set. Skaven included.
Then, at the end, they can combine the items into an artifact that can destroy the Avatar by forging them together in a lost Dwarven forge, now controlled by Chaos Dwarves.
Q20-Q25* Travel to Temple to finally kill all SUPER EVIL and unsummon SUPER AVATAR OF EVIL. Any sort of enemy, including skaven, chaos baddies, etc..

We can include a variety of environments. Think crypts, swamps, deserts, cities, caves, dungeons, castles, towers, sewers... Nice looking tiles can be made to put on the HQ board.

Feel free to add ideas, and to take your pick of a quest, and flesh it out with your ideas. Please 1 quest each, so we can have 25 quest makers. Everybody else is welcome to add thoughts and critisizm, or even cooperate with someone to create one or two quests together.

Go, spew ideas, post them here. I hope I'll have at least half of you to pick a quest and thin of something before christmas, so we can try and string them together for a fluent storyline.
Use anything you like. All existing monsters are allowed, including the ones I listed. If you want to add chaos beastmen, go ahead. Chaos demons, sure! As long as it fits the theme and isn't too difficult to proxy.
You may use ANY traps / artifacts / spells from all released sets within reason of course.

Go wild for now. When we gather everything, we will start fleshing things out, and then balancing it, so the difficulty curve will rise normally without overpowering the heroes too soon, or making it way too difficult for them.
Feel free to create new spells, items, weapons, potions etc. I encourage new game mechanics such as new traps, tricks etc. Rolling boulders and revolving rooms are nice, but try giving them a little twist, so we're not copying thing exactly as they are now. Use any AHQ/WHQ ideas you can incorporate in HQ.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Ye Olde Inn 25th Anniversary HeroQuest quest pack

Postby Patroclus » December 4th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Goblin-King wrote:...
Designing quests... I don't hate the poll idea per se, but personally I'm not gonna make 10+ quests just to have most discarded. I'd rather concentrate on a few well thought out quests.
Anyways, I'm thinking that no submitted quest is anyone's personal baby. Any quest is open to suggestions and changes. Same goes for any submitted material for that matter. :2cents:

I understand GK, but no quest is wasted. Everyone could play those quests even if they won’t win the competition. But for sure, the one quest which is going to win will be the best. At the end we will have a book with the best of the bests, and this is something... But as I said I understand that it is not so nice if some of us won’t win at all. But I still believe that 10 quests are enough. If there are more, no one could play them, and I want to see this time some real dungeon reports.

Goblin-King wrote:Seems like you just volunteered to be editor of cards. Excellent! |_P

Yes, I could make the cards with the program easily as ready to print in the right dimensions for both versions. The only thing I need are the images. The titles and the texts could be plain text and I will just do copy-paste in the program.

Sorry for the spamming but if you want to add anything on the template just download those two and do your changes without changing the dimensions.
Image
Image
Last edited by Patroclus on June 25th, 2014, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 658
Images: 19
Joined: January 31st, 2011, 9:07 am
Location: Athens, Greece
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Brainstorming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest