• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

3D printed LOL …

Tips and Tricks that don't quite fit into the above categories.

3D printed LOL …

Postby iKarith » June 15th, 2021, 9:24 pm

So here's this thing from Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Heroquest/comments/d6ltxk/3d_printed_heroquest_minis_furniture_doors_tiles/

Someone 3D printed their own HeroQuest set. But look at the furniture:

Look at the sorcerer's table.

They had to make it a true and proper replica of the typical HeroQuest set I guess? :lol: :lol: :lol:
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: 3D printed LOL …

Postby torilen » June 15th, 2021, 10:25 pm

I don't see any problems. I'd play with those. Of course, I have no artistic talent outside of writing
and a bit of musical ability. Nothing for drawing and crafting, really.

But honestly, issues? Sides of pieces could use a little more fancying-up.

Do you not like that they tried to make it look just like the original HQ?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby iKarith » June 16th, 2021, 12:55 am

torilen wrote:I don't see any problems. I'd play with those. Of course, I have no artistic talent outside of writing
and a bit of musical ability. Nothing for drawing and crafting, really.

But honestly, issues? Sides of pieces could use a little more fancying-up.

Do you not like that they tried to make it look just like the original HQ?

I think you missed what I thought was funny… Broken candlestick on one side. It looks like he made a sorcerer's table with one candlestick broken off. Possibly it snapped loff like the originals did. I just assumed he made it "snapped off" on purpose because it's a more authentic experience that way. :mrgreen:

Rewards:
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby bleugh » June 16th, 2021, 5:30 am

The candlesticks on that table from thingiverse are very fragile, the designer modelled them a little too thin and they snap easy!
- i know, mine did.

Still, it's easy enough to snap them entirely and glue on / model new ones - i'm in the middle of doing that now
bleugh

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby torilen » June 16th, 2021, 9:08 am

iKarith - yes, I did miss that. I get the laughing now. Yup - wanted it to look authentic.
I can send the maker pictures of my heroes - elf is missing half the sword and one hand. :lol:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Kurgan » June 16th, 2021, 12:44 pm

Yes, classic. :lol:

This looks like a refinement of the set I bought from a guy on ebay awhile back (maybe a year or more ago now). Basically the models look like they were slightly tweaked and the resolution (I mean the material used in the final product) of the prints is a much higher quality (the ones I had were a bit... stringy... to say the least, which worked fine with the bookcases and cupboards or treasure chests but not so good with the weapons racks and so forth).

STL remakes of all of the HeroQuest components are out there and some of them are quite good looking I think (much more detailed than the scans of the actual miniatures). Thanks for sharing the pics.

I have yet to 3d print anything myself (unless you count through BGM, I sent the STLs and they turned out great, albeit quite expensive). The people I know who own 3d printers still have them in the box, waiting for them to have time to set them up and learn how to use them...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby iKarith » June 17th, 2021, 7:08 am

If someone in the US is making resin candlesticks that are a bit more robust, I still want a few sets in clear resin. If they can't be original, I want my sorcerer's tables to have candles that light up! Back in 2012 or so I thought about doing these with plastic fiber optic cables and essentially capri sun straws with a couple of beads added. I've since concluded that 3D printing or casting in resin is probably the better way to do it.

Rewards:
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Thor-in » June 17th, 2021, 8:06 am

I actually like those. I have been slowly replacing all the original stuff with reprints or stuff from Thantos.

I have always been a "I want only the original game because it's vintage". Then the older I get and the cost to buy the vintage game sets have gotten so I high. I'm more like yeah no, reprint is for me.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Thantos » June 17th, 2021, 8:51 am

iKarith wrote:If someone in the US is making resin candlesticks that are a bit more robust, I still want a few sets in clear resin. If they can't be original, I want my sorcerer's tables to have candles that light up! Back in 2012 or so I thought about doing these with plastic fiber optic cables and essentially capri sun straws with a couple of beads added. I've since concluded that 3D printing or casting in resin is probably the better way to do it.

Do have a mould for HQ candles somewhere here. I was casting them with a bit of brass rod through them which helped them stay together a bit better!

Can dig it out next time im going through the mould store if you like. UK based though |_P

Thor-in wrote:I actually like those. I have been slowly replacing all the original stuff with reprints or stuff from Thanos.

:redheart: :D Always a big thanks from me, for the support!
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby iKarith » June 18th, 2021, 11:01 am

Thantos wrote:
iKarith wrote:If someone in the US is making resin candlesticks that are a bit more robust, I still want a few sets in clear resin. If they can't be original, I want my sorcerer's tables to have candles that light up! Back in 2012 or so I thought about doing these with plastic fiber optic cables and essentially capri sun straws with a couple of beads added. I've since concluded that 3D printing or casting in resin is probably the better way to do it.

Do have a mould for HQ candles somewhere here. I was casting them with a bit of brass rod through them which helped them stay together a bit better!

Can dig it out next time im going through the mould store if you like. UK based though |_P

That'll make for high shipping even for a small packet. I just got my dice from .de and have ordered retro computer bits from .pl and .pt … the last one from .pl was brutal not because of cost, but because it was during the holidays. Took forEVER! If you dig them up, you can put me down for three sets of them within a couple of weeks depending on the timing.

Thantos wrote:
Thor-in wrote:I actually like those. I have been slowly replacing all the original stuff with reprints or stuff from Thanos.

:redheart: :D Always a big thanks from me, for the support!

I'm also a fan—though that one's a little harder for me to commit to ordering the entire set like I rather want to. Back in 2012 I saw AHQ and the AHQ Paint Set both for sale by the same UK seller, for a price that was a steal in 2012 and today would be insane. The seller wasn't sure I really wanted them given the cost to ship. I told them that yes, I really did, because I wasn't going to get them in the US otherwise.

I think I paid $125 or so in shipping? Games are a fairly good size that isn't friendly for parcels, and they're a bit heavy. Especially that paint set full of vintage 1989 Citadel paints. A few have separated a bit, but a good shake seemed to have done a fair bit to fix that. No doubt every single bottle can be either used right now, or restored completely by someone who knows a bit about paint chemistries. I haven't had the courage to crack them open myself. I don't have the skill enough to be worth it yet.

As for AHQ … sold as complete. It was, but a few of the tiles were punched and every door that was assembled had cracked or just plain snapped off hinges. I'm not even sure how I'd start to go about fixing those things, what was GW even thinking with those things?

Anyway, when I make my fortune doing … nerd … I'm definitely going to order a full set from you. If I don't make the fortune, it might take more careful budgeting, a longer timespan, and multiple orders. *sigh*

Rewards:
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Return to Other Hobby Tips