• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

What a board with 1 inch squares looks like

Tips and Tricks that don't quite fit into the above categories.

What a board with 1 inch squares looks like

Postby Kurgan » March 9th, 2021, 11:33 am

Many have discussed how the Hasbro Remake due this fall will have 1 inch squares (25.4 mm) instead of the standard 22mm squares of the classic HeroQuest board we all use. As most have noted, the actual bases of the plastic figures are slightly wider on the edges than the squares, more like a hexagon shape with nearly 25 mm at the widest points, and 22 mm around the rest.

As many know if you have custom bases (for some of the bigger minis I use) that are 25mm square, you will crowd them out if you put them side by side, likewise if you use a printed board copy that has 20mm squares, you'll quickly get crowded just by regular figures! I also have some minis that have 20mm that fit perfectly...

In the past I printed out a copy of my board using an image I grabbed (limited also by the paper sizes that the print shop had available) which had 20mm squares. Smaller than the original.

So I decided to order a 1 inch square size custom board from BGM (not an advert here). This is also a quad fold board and smooth matte finish (for better recording purposes). The difference between this custom board and the Remake board (as we know it) is that the "Hero Quest" design logo at the bottom is on the short side instead of the long bottom in the remake edition.

But this may give a visual idea of what the Classic components will look like compared to the new size. So these are reference photos to help with that...

Edit: I've probably typed this wrong more than once on these forums... but the original board squares are 22mm, while some of the scans posted will print out as 20mm (which is too small, leading to crowding since the original bases are 22mm and nearly 25 at the points). And where do you measure anyway? Every square has a "gap" or else a white "wall" separating them from the next one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kurgan on March 13th, 2021, 2:27 am, edited 5 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: What a board with 1 inch squares looks like

Postby Kurgan » March 9th, 2021, 11:55 am

Old (top) vs. Custom (bottom)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » March 9th, 2021, 2:58 pm

1 inch squares are better, of course. The only problem, it would not fit into the box!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » March 9th, 2021, 5:24 pm

lestodante wrote:1 inch squares are better, of course. The only problem, it would not fit into the box!

The one I got does, since it's a quad-fold, and I imagine the remake one would too, assuming it is (in the picture the box looks more square than the "long" box we had).

I'm assuming of course that the NA and EU boxes and boards were the same size originally too... but this board folds up and takes up less space than the original one (it's just thicker, is all).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Davane » March 9th, 2021, 7:11 pm

Kurgan wrote:
lestodante wrote:1 inch squares are better, of course. The only problem, it would not fit into the box!

The one I got does, since it's a quad-fold, and I imagine the remake one would too, assuming it is (in the picture the box looks more square than the "long" box we had).

I'm assuming of course that the NA and EU boxes and boards were the same size originally too... but this board folds up and takes up less space than the original one (it's just thicker, is all).

1 inch squares also provides another advantage - HQ is now compatible with WHQ tiles, but loses compatibility with AHQ tiles.

So, on one hand, technically no more AHQ maze level, but on the other hand, you can clip a WHQ door on the side and have the players wander off down a side dungeon complete with objective room.

I do so hope that Hasbro didn't choose 1 inch squares to distance the game further from GW, because THAT backfired!

Oh, and before you ask, the Dungeon Rooms in WHQ are 4 x 4, so with a bit of digital editing, you could easily make versions for the majority of the rooms on the HQ board. The Objective Rooms are 8 x 4, so they could cover TWO adjacent 4 x 4 rooms (Or a 5 x 4 and 3 x 4 room, or whatever). The expansion pack Objective Rooms are actually 8 x 5, so really only fit across the two 4 x 4 rooms in the upper left of the room, or across the central corridor and the two 3 x 5 rooms either side of it to the north of the board. You could even use this trick on the bottom of the board, if you don't mind turning the 4 x 4 room with the corner room to a 4 x 4 room, and the space below it to a 4 x 4 room as well. Now, if only we had a few of THEM lying around... or maybe an 8 x 4 room instead?
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

HeroQuest Combined English Edition Rule Book (HQ CERB)
Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » March 10th, 2021, 2:16 pm

Funnily enough I have been clipping a WHQ door on the side of the board and using it as an entrance / exit for suitable quests since 1995, so it is nice that a quarter of a century later it is now an officially supported idea :lol:

True, it can get a bit crowded on the original HQ board from time to time, perhaps not enough of a problem to shell out £150 but every little helps, just need to justify the other £149 now. I suppose I would have been complaining more if they had made the squares smaller so that is a plus and it is always nice to see a niche where inches can thrive once again.
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Davane » March 10th, 2021, 3:44 pm

Bareheaded Warrior wrote:and it is always nice to see a niche where inches can thrive once again.

Oooh er, missus! ;)
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

HeroQuest Combined English Edition Rule Book (HQ CERB)
Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby lestodante » March 11th, 2021, 3:48 pm

Kurgan wrote:The one I got does, since it's a quad-fold...

Ah.. interesting, can you post more pics of the board alone and how it fold?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » March 11th, 2021, 4:30 pm

Sure I can post some up later on.

My main point is that we shouldn't worry about the new board "not fitting" with the classic pieces. The original board squares are slightly smaller than the classic figure bases or even the classic tiles, whereas they more or less "fit" (or are just slightly smaller) than the new full inch squares.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » March 13th, 2021, 1:44 am

lestodante wrote:Ah.. interesting, can you post more pics of the board alone and how it fold?

More pics... now there's nothing saying the official Remake board will fold the same way of course.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next