• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Stripping the paint

Tips and Tricks that don't quite fit into the above categories.

Stripping the paint

Postby Geofonos » May 9th, 2016, 3:16 am

Good day to everyone!
I searched the forum but couldn't quite find a similar topic to this one. If there is, I apologise beforehand and I ask from the admins to move my post accordingly. Onto the subject:
I have acquired a couple of HeroQuest sets of miniatures and furnitures that were badly painted. I got them real cheap, like 15 euro per set, so I though it would be a fun and easy job to strip the paint off completely - I wanted them to look like new. Alas! It turns out this is really a pain in the neck...
I have searched around and tried a bunch of different methods. I've tried soaking them in Dettol for weeks and brushing away with an old toothbrush. I also tried using isopropyl alcohol, Fairy Power spray and brake fluid. The results of all those products were similar. After a good brushing, I am able to get rid about 75% of the paint. The rest of it has nested in tiny nooks and crannies and requires delicate work done with a pointy tip of a compass (I tried using toothpicks but they get wet and break real easily). Ultimatelly, I was able to get all the paint off the miniature but it took me ages. So I'm thinking I have to do it for over 60 small pieces of plastic and I'm getting a headache already!
One of the two sets has had a primer applied which makes it even harder for me to get rid of the paint. I tried using non aceton nail polisher but that didn't give me any good results. It just turns the paint into a muck and when brushed, it is spread all over the miniature making it sticky too.
As you can understand, I'm in quite a pickle. Don't get me wrong, it is a fun job but after a while I get frustrated.
I was wondering if anyone has any better solutions to direct me to. Any help appreciated. Thanks in adance.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Geofonos

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Stripping the paint

Postby slev » May 9th, 2016, 3:53 am

I use dettol then a toothbrush while the detol is still there. This gets rid of enough of the paint taht you can re-prime it.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Schmidt » May 9th, 2016, 5:31 pm

Just use "Husholdningssprit" which, unfortunately, can only be bought in Denmark. The translation is "Ethanol" which I guess is s broad term.
5 minutes in a jar and then rinse in cold water. The last bits of paint comes off with a toothbrush.
Jelly?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » May 9th, 2016, 5:40 pm

I used Everclear and a vibrating toothbrush once. I had oversprayed the primer and it wasn't completely dry yet, but it worked and didn't seem to hurt the mini.

Everclear is grain alcohol. 190 proof. In other words, 95% ethanol. I don't think it's legal everywhere though.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby ampersand » May 9th, 2016, 6:07 pm

slev wrote:I use dettol then a toothbrush while the detol is still there. This gets rid of enough of the paint taht you can re-prime it.

+1 on that.
not the diluted stuff though. get the proper stuff. allow your minis to soak for about 24 hours then use a toothbrush to remove the paint. if you do it right you can pretty much peel it off in 1 go like a skin...sounds weird but it works |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » May 9th, 2016, 9:31 pm

Important note... When using dettol, don't add water or rinse them off whilst brushing. This will make the paint go back to a gloop. Brush them in the tub filled with dettol. Only rinse them with water once you are happy you have brushed away the paint.

I use an old cloth to filter the dettol into a fresh tub, and use it again.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Geofonos » May 10th, 2016, 3:56 am

Thanks guys for all your answers.
Hmmm, it seems that I have used the wrong kind of Dettol. I bought the green one from a supermarket (only that one was available, Green Apple freshness^^) and wasn't really happy with the results. I might have to get the original brown one which is only found in drugstores around here.
The first batch didn't have any primer applied so most of the paint comes off within a minute or two of brushing.
But the second batch had primer applied. That thing seems to be a real pain to get off. Anyway, I'll try the original Dettol for now.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Geofonos

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Big Bene » May 10th, 2016, 4:22 am

I use what Schmidt calles "Husholdningssprit", it's "Brennspiritus" here in Germany.
In Greece, it's called οινόπνευμα and sold in 1/2 litre blue plastic bottles, it's used in every Greek household.
It seems it is pretty uncommon in the anglophone world, as I could not find a translation other then the bulky "denaturated alcohol" or "methylated spirit".

I just let the figures soak over night and then clean them with a tothbrush or cloth. The results are not always the best , sometimes i have to repeat the procedure, but in general, it works.

I would recommend having a bottle on your workbench anyways, for cleaning the minis from every trace of grease before basecoating them - grease is the very enemy of paint.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sparkymark » May 10th, 2016, 2:30 pm

What is the reason for stripping the old paint off ( forgive my ignorance )?
Can you not paint over it as the old paint would just be like a primer?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Sparkymark

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » May 10th, 2016, 2:56 pm

I've never seen the urge either.
I have in fact overprimed, seeing no points of contempt with the finished paintjob because of previously existing layers.

But there are a lot of old minis out there that were painted with improper tools and paints cause they simply didn't know better.
The hobby wasn't a thing and minis were painted with enamel paints and worse things in glaring colors and without concept.
This was especially bad here in Germany because the comapny Revell offered enamel paints in every toy store to go with their scale models.
People used those.

Boy, and those need to be stripped now.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Other Hobby Tips