• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Do I, or don't I want to paint?

Tips and tricks for painting miniatures and anything else.

Do I, or don't I want to paint?

Postby Markus Darwath » December 6th, 2022, 2:12 am

So, at 52yo I have never painted a mini. I have quite a few, mostly from HeroQuest. On the one hand, I would like them to look better. On the other I have a list of factors working against me. I'm lazy, and terrible at time management, so I really just have very little time to devote to such efforts. Next biggest obstacle is my eyesight when it comes to working with fine details. I need massively bright light and/or magnification to read the print on the side of a tylenol bottle, for example. I also don't have space for a large work table where I can leave projects out for long periods of time. And finally there's a general lack of artistic talent. I'm much better at writing than visual creations.

All of this leaves the question, what can be done to paint miniatures very quickly, with minimal tedium, and not need to leave things sitting out for prolonged periods of drying and curing? Or am I better off to just keep gaming with unpainted minis and not worry about it?

I guess another way of saying all this is that I would like to have painted miniatures, but I'm not at all convinced I want to do the actual painting.
Markus Darwath

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Do I, or don't I want to paint?

Postby customized » September 13th, 2023, 7:40 pm

I know this is pretty old, but did you end up painting anything?

What I think would be cool is to paint the minis up like playing pieces. Spray the heroes in silver or gold, and monsters in either a uniform monster color or unique to their type (green, gray, bone).

I think metallic spray paint with a dark wash over them would look cool, like those old chess sets from the 80s.

I bet a pewter look could be achievable without having to paint small details, or taking forever.

customized

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby SirRick » September 13th, 2023, 8:32 pm

I would never attempt to paint my minis at this point (aside from a few I painted as a kid) for a number of reasons:

1: I’m not good enough.

2: I don’t have the patience to do it.

3: It’s harder to differentiate the various minis at a glance when they are painted.

4: They are typically worth more if unpainted if you tried to get rid of them at some point, but why would you?

5: I found myself regretting painting the few that I did paint because they looked bad. I did remove the paint eventually, but my lack of knowledge led to some figures getting discolored from the methods I used.

I have seen my fair share of expertly painted minis in various Warhammer army books, and they look amazing. If I could paint that well I would definitely paint my minis, but like I said before, I don’t have the time or patience to learn and do it.

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » September 16th, 2023, 1:12 pm

if you don't start painting you will never learn to paint. Neither you can discover you have a hidden talent at painting minis.
But I would take some extra minis to take the test, so you will not ruin your loved miniatures eventually.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » September 16th, 2023, 3:01 pm

I paint a mini each year for the Christmas Exchange. I always feel bad for my recipient because I’m not very good. I do enjoy participating, but it does get tedious. I have to agree with SirRick, if I were good I would paint my set, but I’m not, so I don’t.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Markus Darwath » November 6th, 2023, 8:08 pm

The replies are appreciated, even though I haven't been here in a long time. I've not yet started to paint anything. I've always got too many projects started but not carried through. :)
Markus Darwath

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Postby Kurgan » November 6th, 2023, 8:52 pm

Get yourself some Krylon spray paint. The stuff works great on the remake minis (just let it cure for a few days).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Markus Darwath » November 6th, 2023, 11:28 pm

Kurgan wrote:Get yourself some Krylon spray paint. The stuff works great on the remake minis (just let it cure for a few days).

I assume you mean for base and zenithal coats?
Markus Darwath

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » November 9th, 2023, 11:24 am

I appreciate this response won't help your decision, but I have to say I agree 100% with your initial post and would be interested to find out if you attempt to go with the paint option and if so, how it turns out - although I suspect it still won't end my 34 year procrastination (so far) on exactly the same decision either way!
Last edited by Bareheaded Warrior on November 10th, 2023, 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Markus Darwath » November 9th, 2023, 8:40 pm

Unfortunately, I have a long list of other projects to get to before I can reasonably consider starting to paint, and having to actually work and make money gets in the way of those. It just hit me how many figures I have at this point, because in the attempt to clean up my home office I needed to purchase better storage for my non-Avalon Hill minis. I've got in the neighborhood of 200. Plus I have managed at this point to purchase everything Avalon Hill has so far put into wide release for the new HQ (retail PoT and SQT arrived yesterday.)
Markus Darwath

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Next

Return to Painting