• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Painting White and Black

Tips and tricks for painting miniatures and anything else.

Painting White and Black

Postby Flacktron » February 12th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Does anyone have any good tips on painting white and black? Whats a good colour base to use and what colours to use to layer it up?
Flacktron

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Painting White and Black

Postby Thor-in » February 12th, 2019, 4:38 pm

Flacktron wrote:Does anyone have any good tips on painting white and black? Whats a good colour base to use and what colours to use to layer it up?

For black you can use black as your base color add dark grays or dark blues to the black depending on if you want it to be a warm black or a cool black. As for white I would start with an off white, like tan mixed with white, then just keep adding more white to the mix and layer up.

Hope this helps
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Flacktron » February 12th, 2019, 6:36 pm

I've seen a painted Batman figure in a shop and when I asked the guy how he painted it he didn't use black at all. It was all blues and greys. I didn't go into details with him to find out how he layered them up but I found it very interesting that t still looked amazing, basically black from a distance until you got up close. There are probably videos I guess on you tube
Flacktron

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Thor-in » February 12th, 2019, 7:30 pm

Yes, you can try Doctor Faust Painting Clinic or Sorastro Painting.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » February 13th, 2019, 4:46 am

The real black black looks unrealistic black to my eyes.

Using dark grey will achieve a good black effect most of the time and still allow for photos to be made.

Then, I have an airbrush. So I would likely spray paint black and then spray paint very thin light grey until I am happy.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » February 13th, 2019, 10:39 am

The artistic way to mix your own black base color is to mix a dark blue and a dark brown. Both should be fairly unbiased.
This means your blue should contain as little red or yellow as possible and your brown should be the most possible equal mix of yellow, red, and blue.
Of course, we're not scientists, so from that base you can go darker by adding a true black if you want it darker or a red if you want it warmer and so on.

Lighten it up with a sky blue for highlighting or soemthing warmer according to taste and texture.
As Anderas has said, true black should never be used flat out.
The blackest paint I use is black ink to put a film or shadow over something very dark in itself.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » February 13th, 2019, 11:20 am

The only time I have ever used pure black is for a base color (it's more of an under coat) under silver or something I wanted darker because acrylic paint can be transparent. I guess maybe I gave some misleading information when I stated "you could use black as your base color". I apologies for that, I didn't actually mean paint it with pure black and call it good. It was more you could use black as your base (under coat) in the recesses as your shade and then layer with watered down dark blues and dark grays as you see fit and highlight your mini.

I agree with both of you that you should never use pure black, because black is not a true cover. It's the absence of all color. If you where to mix every color in the color pallet you would end up with some variation of brown, it will never be black unless you put black into it.

Believe it or not the Orc's I painted and post in my tread about my HQ minis were under coated in black on the red tunic. I only did this because I was using cheap apple barrel acrylic paint from Wal-Mart and that red coverage is garbage. So when I painted my first few coats with a white primer under coat, the tunics looked more of a dark pink then pure red. I do the same thing with gold, I'll under coat it with brown or a mix of gold and brown (kind of a bronze color). Then I'll highlight it with gold. I know that this was off subject the of white and black, but they a tricks I've picked up trying to get the color I was looking for.

Rewards:
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Flacktron » February 13th, 2019, 1:08 pm

Don't worry about it being off topic, this information from all of you is brilliant. I only painted for a few years 10-15 years ago and have recently got back into it since purchasing a HeroQuest set. I'll stick a picture up of a Goblin I found spare in my collection. I've base coated it black then the darkest grey I have is eshin grey so I'll coat it in that and work up from there

Thanks again for your tips
Flacktron

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Flacktron » February 14th, 2019, 11:19 am

I ended up using greys and didn't have any dark blues. Do you guys mix and make your own colours/tones or stick to using pre made colours from manufacturers?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flacktron

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby knightkrawler » February 14th, 2019, 1:42 pm

That's just a tad too light to represent black. If you want to have it black, try going over this with(several) thin coats of black ink until you like the result.
It looks good, though. It might be gray as is, but I compliment you on your blending. |_P
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Painting