• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Painting techniques

Tips and tricks for painting miniatures and anything else.

Re: Painting techniques

Postby Sjeng » February 5th, 2013, 12:46 pm

yes. :)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Painting techniques

Postby Sjeng » May 19th, 2013, 3:48 pm

Another good product to seal polystyrene with is LATEX! Cheap and plenty of it :)

Another tutorial on painting eyes, much the same as Tasoe tought me: http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/12
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 4536
Images: 92
Joined: July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am
Location: The Netherlands
Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Painting techniques

Postby sajungzak » October 8th, 2013, 12:26 am

To get a shiny finish I have found that mod podge gloss works great. I've used it for making gems out of tiny rhinestones. Without watering it down I make a nice round glob on top. It dries clear and shiny! For blood I would water it down a bit so its not too thick. I use the mod podge matte to protect my paintjobs when I'm done.

Image

Image

The lighting I used for pics make the matte finish I use look shinier that it is normally, but the jewels have the gloss.

I decided to paint my herequest miniatures a few months ago. It seemed daunting at first, but with some practice its not really as hard as I thought. I don't consider myself particularly crafty but I am determined to do the best I possibly can.

this is where I've been posting my progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96


Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
 
Posts: 600
Joined: May 19th, 2013, 4:10 pm
Location: Spokane, Washington
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Painting techniques

Postby torilen » November 1st, 2013, 2:33 pm

I don't know if anyone has attempted this or not...I have not, though I might in the near future.
If it is possible to "puree" some white cloth, mix that in with either a gray-ish paint or simply with
clear glue, and paint the mummies with that. Gives them the white color needed, as well as an
actual cloth texture like they should have.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2081
Joined: October 9th, 2009, 4:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Painting techniques

Postby knightkrawler » December 6th, 2014, 3:59 pm

Update/new recipe for the glistening blood:
Tamiya X-27 Clear Red. It smells awesome. Mind you, I'm me and if I were you I wouldn't take that voluntary snort.
Mix a brushload of this stuff with as much black (any acrylic paint) or other colors as you like.
Mix that with regular clear thick all-purpose glue (Uhu Alleskleber for you guys in Europe).
Have fun.
Don't rinse your brush in the water you use for acrylic paints.
Have fun.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Painting techniques

Postby Anderas » December 7th, 2014, 2:50 am

I have them here, red, green, blue and yellow.
They really are really nice! They are transparent and if you mix with acrylics, they do funny stuff.
I've found use cases for red (blood, splatter and so on), for green (with UHU or with Water effect, as slime), for yellow (no details); just for blue I didn't find anything yet. :)


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear
 
Posts: 3397
Images: 73
Joined: September 20th, 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Painting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest