• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Japanese HeroQuest: Rulebook Translation

Members who have translated, or would like to translate any Resources that weren't originally released in their language, or is unavailable on the Home Page may post their progress and results in this forum.

Re: Japanese HeroQuest: Rulebook Translation

Postby TMU » September 1st, 2013, 4:10 am

Happy birthday AerynB |_P
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sjeng » September 1st, 2013, 4:41 am

yay! happy birthday! :D
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby AerynB » September 1st, 2013, 10:08 am

Hey! Thanks, guys! Didn't expect to see birthday wishes in my translation thread. Cool idea!!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby neoprofit » December 4th, 2013, 4:00 am

AerynB wrote:Thanks, drathe! That would be great! No hurry just yet, though. I'd still like someone who's more familiar with Japanese to take a look at my rough google-aided translation and approve it. Maybe that ScooterAB guy will come on back and take a look.

I will take a look at some of the .jpg's you have up here and tell you what I see.
1b - first 4 frames, perfect
はいっているもの or 入っている物... literally "entering things", contents is a good translation. It is referring to the stuff in the box.
一冊 means one copy. 一枚 means one sheet. ゴマ... is puzzling. The only thing I can think is that it was misspelled and it meant ゴム instead, which is rubber. コ actually means 箇 here, military units.
1c - 邪神 was translated as Cthulhu? They misspelled キャラクターパネル... That's why it is translated bad. 64枚 64 sheets
1d - コ is a counter that one uses when a specific counter doesn't exist for the objects, roughly means articles or pieces. マス is a cell of a graph, 分 is a part. Translations are all good here.
on 3 it says "One lone player becomes グリンデッド". Your translation to Grimdead sounds nicer... but that would actually be グリムデッド. The demon lord's name is Grindead.

Since it looks that the translator is kind of doing its job more or less, you should just point out some of the stuff you are uncertain about.
Would you mind giving me the original text instead of the pictures in case there are obscure kanji?
neoprofit

Postby AerynB » December 5th, 2013, 9:52 am

Hmm... there's a link to the original scans of the Japanese stuff somewhere. Let me see if I can dig it up. Also, I think I included a pdf download of my translation efforts (at least I hope I did) in the topic post. Lemme check. ... ... Yep, you should be download my pdf from the first post in this thread. The jpegs were my first attempt.

This is a link where all the Japanese cards, rule book, and quest book are.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B47Van3 ... ring&pli=1
knightkrawler first posted it.
viewtopic.php?f=143&t=166&hilit=japanese+heroquest&start=30#p17883
This thread has some good info and images.

Here's another place to download the Japanese scans.
viewtopic.php?f=143&t=166&start=30#p14027

Hope this helps.
And sorry for not replying until today. :oops:

Also, I've started learning katakana since doing this project, and I see what you mean about my translation to Grimdead. I've learned that the "n" character only changes to an "m" sound before b's and p's so it really should have been Grindead. Too bad Grimdead sounds so much better, unless he's like a grinning dead thing. ;) Anyway, I can't thank you enough for clarifying this for me. I really do appreciate it.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Bob-Bob » June 7th, 2014, 2:47 am

Hey Aeryn, I dunno if you're still around...but much like Malcadon's thread I can help you out with proofreading the text here. :)
Bob-Bob

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Bob-Bob » June 23rd, 2014, 9:21 pm

Well I've done it. Me and my friend bluesun have finally completed a proper translation of the Japanese rules.

Here is my text dump of the actual rule book, which I painstakingly tried to format as close to the real thing as possible.

Here is the actual translation, which I tried to fit into the same format as the document above. It wasn't easy, believe me.

Sorry about the lack of images in both documents. All I had was the PDF that has been passed around this forum, so individual diagrams weren't really an option for me. If you have the same PDF it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out what image is supposed to be what.
Bob-Bob

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Bob-Bob » June 23rd, 2014, 9:28 pm

For those who don't want or can't view Google Documents, I've also decided to put all the translated text into actual posts. It's not in the exact format as the document, but it gets the point across. I'll start with the Introduction, then move onto the Beginner Rules, Intermediate Rules and Expert Rules.

Introduction

I) Game Overview
One player becomes the Demon King of Darkness, (abbreviated as 'The Demon King' below), and the rest of the players become heroes - a Warrior, a Magician, an Elf and a Dwarf. Hero Quest is not a game in which the players compete amongst themselves for 1st place. It is a game where the party (the term for the team made by the heroes) works together to solve quests (go on adventures). If they clear a quest, the party wins, but if they don't, the Demon King wins.

The heroes grow stronger while completing the 14 quests one by one. Or else, they die along the way. The Demon King controls monsters and attempts to stop the heroes clearing the quests. Also, they aid gameplay by checking the quest book and reading out quest objectives for each of the heroes, and check whether traps* are encountered or not. The conclusion of the game is not revealed here, so by all means, discover it for yourself.

The game difficulty is divided into 3 levels, related to progression through the quests:
Chapter 1: The Departure | Quests 1-3 | Beginner Rules
Chapter 2: The Mission | Quests 4-8 | Intermediate Rules
Chapter 3: The Search | Quests 9-13 | Expert Rules
Final Chapter: The Showdown | Quest 14 | Expert Rules

To begin the game, you can play just by learning the Beginner Rules. The players proceed through the quests, learning the Intermediate Rules after the 1st chapter ends, and the Expert Rules after the 2nd chapter ends.

(WARNING) Do not open the Quest Book until after roles have been chosen.

II) Number of Players
This game can be played by 2-5 players.

III) Necessary Knowledge to Play the Game

Character Abilities

① Body Points (BP), Max. Body Points (Max. BP)
BP is linked with a character’s strength. It decreases when receiving damage in Combat or from a trap, and the character dies if it drops to 0. Lost BP can be recovered using magic or medicine, but it cannot be raised higher than the character’s Max. BP. When heroes level up, their Max. BP increases.

② Mind Points (MP), Max. Mind Points (Max. MP)
MP is linked with a character’s wisdom. Characters die if their MP drops to 0. At the beginning of the game, MP does not have much use, but it becomes necessary in the quests in the latter half of the game. MP cannot be raised higher than the character’s Max. MP.

③ Others
Movement, Attack, and Defense will be explained later.

Note) A hero dies if either of their BP or MP drops to 0.

Contents 

A: Game Board
There are squares and white lines on the game board. Characters stop in the center of these squares. The white lines are walls. Walls cannot be moved through. The game board is separated into rooms and passages.

(Warning)
When this rulebook uses the terms ‘adjacent squares’ or ‘neighboring squares’, these terms mean the 4 squares in front, behind, and to the left and right. The ◯s in diagram A show squares facing Orcs. The term ‘surrounding squares’ means the 8 squares in front, behind, to the left and right, and diagonally adjacent. The ◯s in diagram B show surrounding squares containing Orcs.

B: Character Panels
Character panels show each hero’s characteristics, Attack, Defense, Movement, Body Points, and Mind Points.

C: Character Sheets
Character sheets are used during gameplay to record each hero’s current status. When you begin the next quest, you start with the status displayed on the character sheet. Basically, the character sheet records a hero’s growth.

First, give your character a name, and write it on the character sheet. Next, look at the character panels, and write down your character’s Type, Movement, Attack, Defense, Max. BP, BP, Max. MP, and MP. During the game, whenever these values are raised or lowered, write the new values on your character sheet. You will need to change these values at times, so it’s best to use a pencil and rubber.

During your adventure, write details such as the gold you’ve obtained, and weapons you’ve bought on to the character sheet too. Every time you clear a quest, tick its checkbox.

D: The Quest Book
14 quests are contained within the Quest Book. The Demon King runs the game by following the Quest Book. They must never show it to the heroes. The Quest Book is mainly split into four sections:

① Dungeon Maps
These maps have symbols showing the monsters that the Demon King can move, and their starting positions. The maps also have symbols showing the locations of furniture, dead-ends, traps, hidden doors, and treasure chests. The Demon King must place monsters, furniture, and other objects on the board as the heroes move around the dungeon in accordance with the map. Which symbol mark represents which item of furniture is written on the back of the screen.

② The Book of Adventure
The Book of Adventure contains the objectives of each quest, and the rewards obtained when they are cleared. Before playing the game, the Demon King reads from this book to the heroes.

③ Quest Rules
Each quest has its own rules. Before each quest begins, the Demon King should read the quest rules carefully. They must not be read to the heroes in advance. The quest rules explain the contents of treasure chests, events that happen when the heroes reach certain rooms, and the actions that the heroes should take.

④ End Of Quest
The endings of each quest. Explains what is learned when clearing each quest, and the story connecting to the next quest. When the heroes clear a quest, the Demon King should read this section to them.

E: Screen
This is used so that the heroes do not see the quest book and other items. The Demon King sits behind the screen, and places the game board so that the words HERO QUEST can be read from their position. There is a list of furniture on the back of the screen.

F: Combat Dice

Use these in combat, when defending, and when a level up occurs. When you need to roll 5 or more dice, roll 2 times. In the explanatory text and on the cards, they are abbreviated as ‘C. Dice’ at times.

G: Monster Cards
The monster cards show monsters’ abilities. There is a card for every race of monster, and each card lists that race’s Attack, Defense, Movement, Body Points, Mind Points, and the gold obtained when defeating them.

H: Legendary Treasure Cards
It is said that there are 5 legendary treasures in this world. To be able to clear the final chapter, the heroes must obtain all of them. The locations of each legendary treasure are shrouded in mystery. Are they found in treasure chests? Or are they being carried by terrifying monsters? More details can be found in the quest rules. These cards must not be mixed with the Ordinary Treasure Cards (see page 13).

I: Other Cards
How to use these will be described as necessary.

IV) Game Setup

1. Deciding Roles
Before the game can begin, players must each choose their own role. Everyone should roll a die, and then each player chooses the role they wish to play, beginning with the player who rolled the highest number and then going in order. If nobody has chosen to be the Demon King when it is the last player’s turn, the last player to choose automatically becomes the Demon King. When there are less than 5 players, players control 2 or more heroes each. However, the Demon King may not also control a hero.

When roles have been decided, the heroes each take the following.
● The plastic figure for their character
● The character panel for their character
● A character sheet

The Demon King takes the following items.
● The Quest Book
● The plastic figures for the monsters
● The furniture, doors, treasure chests, and similar items
● The cards
● The markers for traps and secret doors
● The screen

Note) The Demon King Grimdead does not have a plastic figure or character panel.

2. If this is your first time playing this game
The heroes must write certain details on their character sheets. (See the ‘Character Sheets’ section on page 4)

3. Setup
This section remains the same for the Beginner Rules, Intermediate Rules and Expert Rules.

① The Demon King begins by checking the dungeon map and placing the stairs tile on the heroes’ starting position on the game board. (In certain quests, the starting position is something other than stairs, and in these cases, do not place the stairs tile on the game board.)

② The Demon King read the Book Of Adventure to the heroes, to let them know what they should do. Next, the Demon King should read the quest rules silently.

③ The stairs are the entrance and exit of the dungeon. The heroes place their plastic figures on the squares adjacent to the stairs. When there is a special starting position, follow the quest rules instead.

④ The Demon King places the contents (doors, furniture, etc.) of the room the heroes start in. They must not place any other areas yet. (‘Placement’ is described on page 9)

* This specifically uses the English word "Trap", then puts the Japanese word for "trap" in parenthesis next to it. Actual English words are used here a lot because they sound foreign and fantastical.
Last edited by Bob-Bob on June 24th, 2014, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob-Bob

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Bob-Bob » June 23rd, 2014, 10:33 pm

Chapter 1: Beginner Rules

By learning the Beginner Rules, you can play chapter one. In the Beginner Rules, only the Monster Cards are used. Also, markers for traps and secret doors are not used. The Beginner Rules from the basis of the rules of the entire game, so be sure to read them well and understand them before playing.

I) Turn Order
Play begins with the player on the immediate left of the Demon King, and proceeds around the table in anti-clockwise order. When all the heroes have taken a turn, the Demon King takes their turn.

On a Hero’s Turn  
The following actions can be taken.
・Move (‘Movement’ is described on page 8)
・Combat or Magic (‘Combat’ is described on page 9, ‘Magic’ is described on page 11)
The player can Move and enter Combat (or use Magic) in any order they desire. However, they cannot use some of their Movement, enter Combat, and then use the rest of their Movement afterward. Also, even if a player does not use all of their Movement in one turn, it does not carry over to their next turn. If a hero steps into a new passage or room, the Demon King places doors, furniture, monsters and other objects according to the map. (‘Placement’ is described on page 9)

On the Demon King’s Turn
When the Demon King’s Turn comes, they can move all of the monsters currently on the game board in whatever order they like. They do not have to move all monsters if they do not want to. Each monster can take the following actions.
・Move
・Combat
Monsters can also Move and enter Combat in any order they desire.

The End of the Game 
Play continues until the heroes escape from the dungeon or die. The game ends when there are no longer any heroes remaining on the game board.

If the heroes achieve the objectives listed in the Book of Adventure, they clear the current quest. However, they must leave the dungeon alive. If a hero stands on the stairs tile, they can escape the dungeon. Monsters may never stand on the stairs tile.

Returning alive is the most important part of raising a character. There may be times when you have to run away again and again without having completed the quest objective. But do not worry. Even if you do not complete a quest, you can challenge it as many times as you wish. (See 'When starting another game' on page 11)

II) What Can and Can’t Be Seen
In Hero Quest, what range on the game board can be seen by a player’s figure is very important. All figures and furniture in the same room as the player can be seen. Passages can be seen down so long as there are no turns. When on a square adjacent to a door, the room (or passage) on the other side of the door can be seen. See Diagram 1 for examples. 

III) Movement

How to Move 

[Movement]
Movement* distance is measured in squares. The furthest distance a character can move is their Movement. Before moving a hero, roll the number of dice listed under Movement on their character sheet. The total of the numbers on the rolled dice is their Movement. As long as they do not exceed their Movement, characters may move as many times as they want. They also do not have to move at all. Monsters have their Movement specified on their cards, so they do not need to roll dice when moving.

[Rules of Movement]
Neither heroes nor monsters can move in the following ways:
▢ Diagonally
▢ Through squares occupied by enemies
▢ To squares occupied by another figure
Because of these rules, there are times at which characters may be unable to move.
See diagram 2 for an example.

What Heroes Can Do While Moving  

Heroes can do the following actions during Movement.
● Open doors  
● Pick up treasure

[Doors]
Heroes and monsters have to go through doors in order to go into and out of rooms. A hero can open a door by proclaiming “Open the door” when on a square adjacent to the door. If they do not want to open a door, they can pass by without opening it. Movement is not used up when opening a door. If a hero still has Movement remaining after opening a door, they can continue moving. Monsters cannot open doors on their own. Once a door is open, it cannot be closed for the rest of the game. When a door is opened, the Demon King picks up the closed door and places an open door in its place. When a door is opened, the Demon King must look at the quest book and place what can be seen beyond it.

[Picking up treasure]
A hero can obtain the contents of a treasure chest by proclaiming “Open the treasure chest” when on a square adjacent to the treasure chest. The Demon King then informs the hero of the contents of the chest. The hero which obtained the treasure writes on to their character sheet what they have discovered. Movement is not used up when opening a treasure chest, but when a treasure is obtained, the hero cannot continue moving even if they still have Movement remaining. Monsters cannot open treasure chests.

Placement - The Demon King’s Role

[How to Place]
Nothing is to be placed on areas of the game board which no hero has yet entered. The heroes enter these areas by moving. When a hero enters an unknown room or passage, the Demon King temporarily stops the hero, looks at the map, and places doors, furniture, monsters, treasure chests and other objects in it.

(Warning) If the heroes continue on with quests without defeating any monsters, there may rarely be times when there are not enough figures for additional monsters. If this occurs, use figures of other monsters not being used in their place temporarily.

[Dead Ends]
The symbol [wall] on the map denotes a dead end. The moment this square comes into a hero’s view, the Demon King must place a rock marker on the board. Squares containing rock markers cannot be passed through by heroes or monsters. Monsters may not pass through squares which contain rock markers before the markers are placed, either.

You have reached end of the rules for Movement. If a hero has not yet entered Combat (or used Magic), they may enter Combat (or use Magic).

IV) Combat
You can only enter combat against enemies on neighboring squares. You cannot enter combat diagonally. Combat occurs in the following order.

Attacking the Enemy 
First, the Attack against the enemy is decided by rolling the Combat Dice. Roll the amount of dice listed under Attack on the character sheet (or for monsters, the monster card). The number of skulls that are rolled are their Attack. If no skulls are rolled, you cannot attack at all, so the enemy has no need to defend either. If one or more skulls are rolled, the enemy must defend against the attack.

The Enemy’s Defense
When receiving an attack, roll the amount of dice listed under Defense on the character sheet (or for monsters, the monster card) to determine the Defense against the attack. For heroes, the number of white shields that are rolled are their Defense, and for monsters, the number of black shields that are rolled are their Defense.

Damage Calculation
When receiving an attack, damage is calculated as follows.
● Damage = Attack - Defense

For each point of damage done to a character, they lose one Body Point. If the Defense is more than the Attack, the damage is 0.
If a hero receives an attack, they must decrease the BP on their character sheet by the amount of damage taken. If their BP drops to 0, the hero dies.
Monsters with 1 BP die as soon as they receive damage. Monsters with 2 BP will never die unless they receive 2 or more points of damage in one attack. Even if they are dealt 1 point of damage, their BP is restored to 2 by the time the next hero attacks.

Dealing with Combat Results
Depending on the results of combat, proceed as follows.
● If no Attack takes place, or no damage is dealt to the enemy.
⇨ Nothing happens. Play continues as-is after combat.
● If a hero defeats a monster
⇨ The monster is removed from the board. The hero that defeated the monster receives the money listed on the monster card as a reward. Combat ends after adding the money to the hero’s character sheet.
● If a hero takes damage
⇨ If they have BP remaining, they continue play as-is after combat.
● If a hero dies
⇨ The dead hero is removed from the board. All of the hero’s gold and belongings are removed from the game.

You have reached the end of the rules for combat. If you have not moved yet, you can move.

V) Beginner Magic
Under the Beginner Rules, only the Magician can use Beginner Magic. Only 1 type of Magic can be used under the Beginner Rules. It is also written on the back of the Character Panel.
▢ First Aid:
Magic that can be cast on yourself, or on an ally. The hero who has this magic cast on them recovers 1 BP.

Casting Magic   
On the Magician’s turn, they may use Magic instead of entering Combat. Magic can be cast on yourself, or another target which can be seen. Magic can be used as many times as wanted during the game.

VI) When Starting Another Game
Before starting a new or previously challenged quest, restore the heroes’ BP and MP to their maximum values. However, note that when challenging the same quest again, all the monsters that have been defeated are replenished.

VII) Revival
If a hero unluckily happens to die, they may be revived, but only once. By donating all of the gold they held to a temple, they are revived exactly as they were just before dying. Players who wish to revive themselves must write that they have 0 gold on their character sheet. Revived heroes can be used in following quests as normal.

You have reached the end of the Beginner Rules.

* The word originally used here literally meant "Movement Force" or "Movement Strength" in Japanese. In Japanese RPGs it is not uncommon for stats to be called "Attack Force/Strength" or "Defense Force/Strength" or the like, but they're usually shortened. The same was done here.
Last edited by Bob-Bob on June 24th, 2014, 11:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bob-Bob

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Bob-Bob » June 24th, 2014, 1:10 am

Chapter 2: Intermediate Rules

Even more difficult quests await in chapter 2. Players must learn the Intermediate Rules to play chapter 2. The Intermediate Rules add various additional rules onto the Beginner Rules.

Gameplay under the Intermediate Rules
As well as Monster Cards, Treasure Cards and Equipment Cards are used. In general, rules are the same as the Beginner Rules, except for the addition of the parts labeled in bold.
● The Magician and the Elf can now use Intermediate Magic.
● Heroes can choose to take one action out of each of (a) and (b):
(a) Move or use a Heal Potion
(b) Combat, Magic, or Search
The order of the two actions from (a) and (b) does not matter.
● Dungeons have traps* hidden in them.
● There are hidden doors in dungeons.
● There are hidden treasures.
● The dwarf can disarm traps.
● You can equip equipment such as weapons and armor.
● If you save up gold, you can attempt to level up.

I) Intermediate Magic

Types of Magic
In chapter 2, the Magician and Elf can now use Intermediate Magic. The following 2 types of Magic can be used in chapter 2. They are also listed on the back of the Magician and Elf’s character panel.
▢ Healing:
Magic that can be cast on yourself or on an ally. Roll 4 Combat Dice, and the hero this Magic was cast on recovers BP equal to the amount of white shields that were rolled.
▢ Holy Flame:
Magic to attack 1 enemy. Roll 2 Combat Dice, and the enemy receives damage equal to the amount of skulls that were rolled. However, Monsters on which you cast this spell can roll a number of Combat Dice equal to their MP for Defense. Undead Monsters have 0 MP, so this Magic is very effective on Undead Monsters.

Note) Undead means monsters with no life force, animated by dark powers, meaning Skeletons, Zombies and Mummies.

Choosing Magic
During the game, the Magician can use both types of Magic. The Elf can only use one type of Magic per quest. Before playing, the Elf must decide which Magic they wish to use that quest, and write it on their character sheet.

Casting Magic
On their turns, the Magician and Elf may choose to use Magic once during their turn instead of entering Combat. Magic can be cast on yourself or on a target you can see. Under the Intermediate Rules, you may use each Magic as many times as you want.

II) Search
There are hidden doors, traps, and hidden treasures in dungeons starting from Quest 4. On their turn, heroes may choose to to search for them by Searching instead of entering Combat or using Magic.

Types of Search
The following 2 types of search can be done.
● Treasure Search:
To check whether there is any treasure* hidden.
● Trap Search:
Trap Searches can find hidden doors, and all types of traps.
If a hero decides to Search, they must decide whether they want to conduct a Treasure Search or a Trap Search, and announce this to the Demon King. Players cannot do both types of search at once.

Treasure Search

[Range of a Treasure Search]
Treasures are only hidden inside rooms, so Treasure Searches can only be done inside rooms.

[How to do a Treasure Search]
① When a hero declares a Treasure Search, the Demon King looks at the map, and checks if there is any treasure hidden in the room the hero is currently in.
② If something is found, then award the treasure to the hero conducting the Search, as stated in the Quest Rules. A Treasure Search cannot find traps or hidden doors.
③ If there is no treasure in the room, then the hero conducting the Search draws 1 Treasure Card. Treasure Cards will be described in the next section.

[Treasure Cards]
If there is no treasure in a room being Treasure Searched, draw one Treasure Card. Before drawing a card, shuffle the cards well. The Treasure Cards contain the following.

● Treasure, Gold, Jewels (6 cards):
If you draw one of these cards, write the money onto your character sheet, and discard the card, placing it to the side of the Treasure Card pile.

● Various Medicines (7 cards):
These cards are placed in front of you, and can be used whenever you decide. Each card contains instructions on how to use it. These cards can only be used during the quest currently being played. After they are used, discard them, placing them to the side of the Treasure Card pile. If cards are not used during the quest, return them to the Treasure Card pile.

● Traps (3 cards):
Follow the instructions states on the card, then return the card to the Treasure Card pile, and shuffle it well.

● Wandering Monsters (5 cards):
If you draw one of these cards, a monster appears. The monster that appears attacks the hero that drew the card once. Because it is a surprise attack, the hero cannot defend themselves. After attacking, the monster vanishes. Return this card to the Treasure Card pile.

Trap Search

[Range of a Trap Search]
A trap search can be conducted to find hidden doors and traps placed in passages and rooms. At any one time, you may either search all the passage that you can see, or a single room. If you can see both a room and a passage, or multiple rooms, then you must choose and declare which part you which to search. See diagram 3 for an example.

[How to do a Trap Search]
① The hero declares which area they can see in that they would like to conduct a Trap Search.
② When a hero declares that they are conducting a Trap Search, the Demon King looks at the map, and checks whether there are hidden doors or traps hidden in the area being searched.
③ If something was found, place the hidden door markers or trap markers onto the board. Hidden doors and traps will be explained in the next section. Trap Searches will never find treasure.

III) Hidden Doors
Hidden doors are escape routes hidden in walls. Hidden doors should not be placed on the game board until they are found with a Trap Search. By using hidden doors, you can get to areas you may not otherwise be able to. Both heroes and monsters can freely pass through hidden doors. Hidden doors can be discovered from the inside or the outside. Once a hidden door isplaced on the game board, it can never be closed.

IV) Traps
3 types of traps exist, which are as follows.
● Pitfall
● Crush
● Trapped Treasure Chests
Traps appear on the board when either found by a Trap Search, or when a hero passes through the trap’s square. The Demon King must tell heroes of traps as soon as a hero passes through the trap’s square. A hero caught in a trap is stopped, and must follow the rules of the trap. The hero’s turn ends, even if they have not yet finished moving or entered Combat. Monsters will never get caught in traps. Monsters can freely move through squares where traps are hidden, but after the trap marker is placed on the field, must follow the same rules as the heroes.

Pitfalls

[When discovered in a Trap Search]
Pitfalls stay on the board as an obstacle. Pitfalls may not be passed through.

[When caught in the trap]
A hero that falls in a pitfall loses 1 BP. When their next turn comes, they can move normally, but cannot conduct a Search while in the pitfall. Also, when attacking or defending from in a pitfall, use one Combat Die less than usual. Pitfalls stay on the board as an obstacle. Pitfalls may not be passed through.

[Jumping over a pitfall]
Pitfalls are an obstacle blocking the way, but heroes and monsters can jump over them.
When jumping over a pitfall, follow the following rules.
▢ You can only jump in a straight line.
▢ You can only jump over 1 square.
▢ The other side must be empty.
▢ You must have enough Movement to reach the other side, including counting the Movement for passing the pitfall.
▢ Characters must roll 1 Combat Die when trying to jump. If they roll a skull, the jump fails, and they are stuck in the pitfall. Their turn ends, and they must follow the rules listed in the previous section, under ‘When caught in the trap’. If they roll anything other than a skull, they may continue their turn. If they have Movement left over, they may continue to move.

Crush

[When discovered in a Trap Search]
Crush is a trap where an enormous rock falls from the ceiling. The rock stays on the board as an obstacle. The rock may not be passed through.

[When caught in the trap]
The hero that activates a Crush loses 2 BP. The hero is sent back one square in the direction they came from. If there are no open squares next to the Crush, the hero dies. If the hero survives, they can continue moving normally on their next turn, but may not pass through the square with the Crush.

Trapped Treasure Chests  
Some treasure chests are trapped. The rules to follow when activating these traps are explained in the Quest Rules for the quest. To avoid getting caught in these traps, you must conduct a Trap Search before
opening the treasure chest. If a trap is discovered, the Demon King informs the heroes what sort of trap it is. Then, the treasure chest’s trap automatically disengages.

V) The Dwarf’s Special Ability
The Dwarf has the ability to disable traps while moving. Each time the Dwarf moves, they can disable one trap. They can disable Pitfalls and Crushes. To disable a trap, they must be on an adjacent square to the trap they wish to disable. The disabled trap is removed from the game board, and may be passed through freely. The Dwarf does not use up Movement when disabling a trap, but their Movement that turn ends after disabling a trap, even if they have Movement remaining.

VI) Equipment
When a quest ends, the heroes may use the gold they have obtained to buy equipment. You can purchase equipment after Quest 3 in Chapter 1 ends, before Quest 4 in Chapter 2 starts.
Equipment is divided into the following types.
● Weapons
● Armor
● Healing Potions

How to Buy Equipment
Heroes that wish to buy equipment take the card they want, and remove the cost of the equipment from the gold on their character sheet, and write the name of the equipment they’ve bought in the Equipment section.
There is a limited amount of each piece of equipment at the shop. If many heroes all wish to buy the same piece of equipment, they should discuss who will get to buy it. They should consider who gains the biggest advantage from that piece of equipment. Some weapons and armor can only be used by some characters, and not others. Further details are explained on the cards.

[Selling]
The shop will buy equipment that is no longer needed for half its price. When selling equipment, return the card to the Equipment pile, and add half of its price to your character sheet.

[Trading]
You may trade equipment you own for equipment a fellow hero owns. You can also sell equipment to other heroes, or give it to them for free. Trading must be done before each quest begins.

Weapons  
Weapon cards list how many Combat Dice you should roll when attacking on them. Some weapons even allow you to attack diagonally, or at a distance. Further details are explained on the specific cards.
You can only own 1 weapon card at a time. When attacking, you should can decide whether or not to use this weapon for the attack.

[Weapons that can attack diagonally]
Club, Spear, Short Sword, etc.

[Projectile Weapons]
The crossbow can shoot arrows to attack enemies at a distance from you. There is no limit to the amount of times you can use the crossbow, but you cannot use it to attack enemies on squares surrounding you. When attacking enemies at a distance, you can hit any enemy you can see, no matter how far away they are. The combat procedure is followed as normal.
The Spear and Hand-Axe may be used as normal weapons, but can also be used to attack at a distance by throwing them. Weapons are lost when thrown. Return the Equipment Cards for lost weapons to the pile.

Armor  
There are various types of armor, such as Armor, Helmets, Cloaks, and so on. You can equip one of each at the same time. Where some pieces of armor list things such as “Defense +1”, this means that you should roll one more Combat Die when defending. Below is an example.

If Chainmail, a Shield, and a Helmet are equipped:
Chainmail | Defense 3 | Combat Dice
Shield | Defense +1 | Combat Die
Helmet | Defense +1 | Combat Die
-------------------------------
Total | Defense 5 | Combat Dice

Note) Chainmail and Plate Armor cannot be equipped at the same time. Also, you cannot wear 2 pieces of the same type of equipment at the same time.

Heal Potions
Instead of moving, heroes can choose to restore their stamina using a Heal Potion. Drinking Heal Potions bought at the shop restores 2 BP. (However, you cannot surpass your Max. BP.) You cannot give Heal Potions to another hero during a quest. When drinking a Heal Potion, write your new BP on your character sheet, and return the Heal Potion card to the Equipment Card pile.

IV) Level Up
After each quest, heroes may attempt to Level Up by paying 500 gold. If heroes Level Up, their Max. BP increases by 1. If they fail to Level Up, their Max. BP does not change. The 500 gold is not returned.
The conditions for leveling up are as follows.
● Warrior and Dwarf:
Roll 4 Combat Dice, and you Level Up if you roll 2 or more white shields.
● Magician and Elf:
Roll 3 Combat Dice, and you Level Up if you roll 2 or more white shields.

You have reached the end of the Intermediate Rules.

* Like before, the English word "Trap" is here, then the Japanese word for "trap" is in parenthesis next to it.
** The English word "Treasure" is used here, and right next to to is "or treasure", as in the Japanese word for "treasure".
Last edited by Bob-Bob on June 25th, 2014, 12:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bob-Bob

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Resource Translations