• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Casting plastics and taking names.

Guests may gather here to barter their goods, let others know what items they are searching for and post links to items others may be interested in. Or just vent about the outrageous prices on eBay.
Forum rules
Ye Olde Inn is not responsible for the trades/purchases made in this forum. Please exchange private information and transaction details via PM.

Re: Casting plastics and taking names.

Postby Patroclus » March 5th, 2012, 4:20 pm

I painted the one mage and the orc in black. I think the black color shows the details of pewter better, when I use camera with flash.

Soon I’ll post more pictures from the other expansions.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby mako-heart » March 5th, 2012, 6:03 pm

the base is all sorts of wanked. also do you think recasting is devaluing the real HQ models? I think so....
ALL YOUR WALL SPELL BASES ARE BELONG TO US!!!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mako-heart

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby tasoe » March 5th, 2012, 6:18 pm

mako-heart wrote:the base is all sorts of wanked. Also do you think recasting is devaluing the real HQ models? I think so....

I think recasting the rare miniatures is the best that anyone can do for someone who cannot afford the extremely overpriced original ones.
It's not devaluing the original HQ models. It's because their value is so high that drove us to search for cheaper alternatives.
Recasts are a cheap alternative to the rare figures and if more alternatives are available, maybe the price of the original will drop a little.
People who own the rare pieces take advantage of us die-hard fans of HQ and selling them at crazy prices. If more of us acquire recasts then the demand of the original will drop and hopefully so will their price (not their value).

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mako-heart » March 5th, 2012, 6:30 pm

I'm contemplating contacting Patroclus about sending my rares to him , But i'm scared i'd never see them again. i want a pewter sinestra...
ALL YOUR WALL SPELL BASES ARE BELONG TO US!!!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mako-heart

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Nephew of Mentor » March 6th, 2012, 1:29 am

I think we need to be careful in treating value and price as synonymous. As far as recasting and dropping the prices, I hope like crazy that the prices drop. If there is anyone out there worried about the price of their game dropping I'm sorry to say that maybe you own the game for the wrong reason. If this game is just a money maker to you then you kind of deserve it. Games should really have their value measured by their being played. I empathize with those who want to own the game as a collector's item, but I empathize even more with those who want to own the game as a game. I feel a little like those who own it but don't play it are a little selfish. And those who treat it solely as a means of making money are especially selfish.

It makes me sad to see the pieces on ebay being sold and to know that someone out there purchased a complete game for one set amount only to part it out(making it even rarer and more expensive) and then to sell the pieces for a combined total even greater than what they originally paid. I understand that's how the trade of money for goods and services works, but damn, it's just sad that the more this happens the closer this game is to extinction.
Sure it's pretty scary when the witch lord returns but what you should really be afraid of is "Resurrection of the Witch Lord". Resurrected baddies always come back more threatening than ever, usually kind of demonic with wings and horns and hell fire to announce their arrival. Think Gannondorf or Mother Brain from Super Metroid.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Nerrad72 » March 6th, 2012, 4:41 am

I would love a pewter or original set. Having none of the rares, I've had to use my imagination and convert mini's I alrady had.
Recent conversations include; warhammer 40k imperial guard ogre and one orc shamen with commissar yarik?(sp) banner pole for wand.
Pictures up when i've finished painting-um
Nerrad72

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » March 6th, 2012, 6:41 am

The WoM figrues aren't that hard to come by. I picked up a set for £25 the other day.

Also, I agree with Nephew of Mentor. And If perfect reproductions were widely available I think they would have high value but realistic cost. Costs of original sets would initially fall but would eventually rise again when players die out and the only people interested are collectors who want unpainted originals on sprues in sealed boxes.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Patroclus » March 6th, 2012, 9:12 am

Yes, I know. The bases are the weakest point of the minis and I am not sure if I could do it better :?

About devaluing, I agree about the difference of value and price. But even if we talk about the price, Picasso has millions of illustrated copies but the prices of the original paints will never fall. I want to say that the originals are always what we are looking for, and want to have, and that is enough to keep the prices extremely high for just a bunch of minis and some tiles. Even if I give them for free, this will never change, because all of us want one day to have the original, and the next time we find a box at low price, we all going to bid and raise the price again.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » March 6th, 2012, 9:44 am

mako-heart wrote:also do you think recasting is devaluing the real HQ models? I think so....

I hope so!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » March 6th, 2012, 5:39 pm

mako-heart wrote:the base is all sorts of wanked. also do you think recasting is devaluing the real HQ models? I think so....

Good spot- you get what you pay for. That kind of casting flaw should be easily cleaned up with a hobby or utility knife and small metal files--and perhaps some epoxy putty such as Greenstuff. Of course, if you've never worked with modding metal minis before, it may not be so easy. Cutting away from the fingers is paramount.

cynthialee wrote:The mercinaries would be the hard part I think. You would have to make a full set of each mercinary type, because there is no way you are going to be able to make the merc's with interchangeable weapons in pewter.

There is a way pioneered by a 40K fan, but it requires modding. Replace the interchangeable weapons' pegs and Mercenaries' sockets with rare-earth magnets superglued into place. You'd need to cut out the peg and drill out the socket to accommodate a pair of tiny ones. I think they go for about a quarter each.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Market