• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Casting plastics and taking names.

Guests may gather here to barter their goods, let others know what items they are searching for and post links to items others may be interested in. Or just vent about the outrageous prices on eBay.
Forum rules
Ye Olde Inn is not responsible for the trades/purchases made in this forum. Please exchange private information and transaction details via PM.

Re: Casting plastics and taking names.

Postby Fallensaviour » September 11th, 2020, 7:56 pm

All this talk made me pull the pin and order a few 3-D prints.
Pictures look great so hopefully they are decent enough.
Female fimir wizard (Meargh) was definitely one of them as well as all the female hero counter parts.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
Fallensaviour

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » September 11th, 2020, 8:36 pm

I've seen a great female barbarian on there. Not sure about the female wizard from the same source...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby RabidWookie » October 19th, 2020, 11:47 pm

Are the cast plastic minis for the expansions still available from anyone? I've finally decided to put together copies of the rarer expansions I don't have, and the rerelease HQ minis are so generic and soulless.
RabidWookie

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby StratosVX » October 20th, 2020, 7:27 pm

I don't believe so

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby RabidWookie » October 21st, 2020, 2:57 am

If not, I'd love to buy from someone looking to sell theirs. I'm not sold on the durability/longevity of 3d prints.
RabidWookie

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » October 21st, 2020, 1:41 pm

We'll see!

Anybody have experience creating moulds out of blue or green stuff? I've wanted to try that to duplicate a few bits...
Last edited by Kurgan on October 21st, 2020, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby cornixt » October 21st, 2020, 1:44 pm

I've made moulds out of blue stuff. Works fairly well as long as you get it hot enough.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » October 22nd, 2020, 1:56 pm

Here is what I wrote about blue stuff on another forum:

I've been playing around with this mould-making material called blue stuff that is sold by Greenstuffworld. There doesn't seem to be much discussion of it on the web, just a few videos. There is a Japanese brand of the same stuff that you can supposedly get at Walmart, which is sold as a toy for shaping little models from it, rather than as a mould. I've had blue stuff a couple of weeks so here is my impression of it so far (pun intended).

The website of Greenstuffworld does not make it clear how much you get. I bought the 8g box. The 4g box would make a single two-part mould for something the size of a 32mm model. It's completely reusable, so once you are finished with a mould you can just reheat it in boiling water and make a new one. It's cheap too, much cheaper than a resin casting kit. But the moulds it makes are not as high quality and are a little more limited in scope since you have to push greenstuff into every part. You can only use hot water to heat it up (if it was microwavable then it would be awesome), and when it cools it maintains its shape but has the characteristics of rubber.

It needs to be really hot to be good enough to make a decent mould. I have to make sure I stick it in just-boiled water or it remains too rubbery to pick up all the detail. Even after a few minutes of sitting, the hot water is no longer good enough. Rubbery-ness is the enemy of making a mould since you lose hard definition. This means that the mould has to be made just seconds after you pull it out, waiting too long gives you a crappy mould. After a bit of experience, you'll notice straight away and can just reheat and redo.

You can use painted models to make a mould, not even varnished, no problem. The blue stuff just peels off it nicely when hardened. I've used several different model types to make moulds - white metal, Reaper Bones, styrene plastic, greenstuff. Not found any that don't work yet.

For a simple press mould, you can use any modelling material that you can remove without deforming too much. Some stuff can get stuck and will stretch and pull as you twist the mould to get it out. I plan to experiment with Sculpey/Fimo to see if I can stop this - maybe line the mould with vaseline first. Hopefully it will work since my main aim is to make dungeon tiles with cheap Sculpey.

If making a two-half mould, make sure that the first half of the mould has cooled before you make the second half. Otherwise, the second half will stick to the first half and you'll have to cut them apart. You can only use self-hardening clays, something that needs to be baked will not work since you can't bake the mould. Fill both halves of the mould with green stuff or similar, then press them together and leave until fully hardened.

Don't overfill the mould halves with green stuff or it creates a thick mould line and the model isn't quite the right shape. This can be hard to judge, since the rubbery-ness of the making the mould can create a soft/curved edge making it unclear where to stop filling. It's very tempting to overfill, but it creates a deformed model that doesn't look good, while an underfilled model is still pretty much the right shape but just needs a few gaps filled.

You can fit an armature inside if you are careful before fitting the two halves of the mould together.

This is where I see you thinking you could make (i.e. copy) a whole army this way. I guess you could, although the mould lines on everything I have made so far are much more visible than anything on a bought model. I would have to find a greenstuff alternative that is better at being filed down. I wouldn't recommend it either, especially if you playing at a GW store since it is obvious to anyone picking it up that it is not made from resin, plastic, or metal. It could pass easily for a Reaper Bones model when painted.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Oftkilted » December 21st, 2020, 4:29 pm

RabidWookie wrote:Are the cast plastic minis for the expansions still available from anyone? I've finally decided to put together copies of the rarer expansions I don't have, and the rerelease HQ minis are so generic and soulless.
StratosVX wrote:I don't believe so

If you’re not specifically looking for plastic I’ve seen Metal versions come up on eBay recently.

The minis I’ve seen are set of minis for:
    - The original set (Gargoyle, and Main Heroes. Others may be available.)
    - Wizards of Morcar (all Wizards, didn’t check for the Henchmen)
    - Against the Ogre Horde
    - Mage of the Mirror (no female elf, no elf warrior)
    - Frozen Horror (all frozen horror base monsters, didn’t check for henchmen)

They also were doing the Gargoyle and the original heroes.

Check with this seller for availability. Drop them a message, they also have done custom orders.

Most work is polished metal, on felt bottomed bases. I’ll see if I can get some pictures posted.
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby RabidWookie » December 21st, 2020, 4:45 pm

Oftkilted wrote:
RabidWookie wrote:Are the cast plastic minis for the expansions still available from anyone? I've finally decided to put together copies of the rarer expansions I don't have, and the rerelease HQ minis are so generic and soulless.
StratosVX wrote:I don't believe so

If you’re not specifically looking for plastic I’ve seen Metal versions come up on eBay recently.

The minis I’ve seen are set of minis for:
    - The original set (Gargoyle, and Main Heroes. Others may be available.)
    - Wizards of Morcar (all Wizards, didn’t check for the Henchmen)
    - Against the Ogre Horde
    - Mage of the Mirror (no female elf, no elf warrior)
    - Frozen Horror (all frozen horror base monsters, didn’t check for henchmen)

They also were doing the Gargoyle and the original heroes.

Check with this seller for availability. Drop them a message, they also have done custom orders.

Most work is polished metal, on felt bottomed bases. I’ll see if I can get some pictures posted.

I'd prefer plastic, as it's lesser weight means far less paint chipping from handling. Do they ever do plastic?
RabidWookie

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Market