• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Casting plastics and taking names.

Guests may gather here to barter their goods, let others know what items they are searching for and post links to items others may be interested in. Or just vent about the outrageous prices on eBay.
Forum rules
Ye Olde Inn is not responsible for the trades/purchases made in this forum. Please exchange private information and transaction details via PM.

Re: Casting plastics and taking names.

Postby Goblin-King » October 31st, 2011, 3:20 pm

As long as you don't try to sell them commercially (i.e. a store or on ebay) you should be fine.
And even if you did I kinda doubt anyone would care really... MB are obviousley not interested in making money on this game!!!

Back to casting: Doesn't anyone perhaps have some expansion figures they would loan out temporarily to a project like this? For the greater good? :bites-lip:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby cynthialee » October 31st, 2011, 3:39 pm

If I had them I would but I have just recently started to get my HQ stuff replaced.

Got a bid on a copy of Against the Ogre Hoard on ebay but I am not going to hold my breath.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » November 1st, 2011, 2:29 pm

I was just searching around ebay and there is someone selling recast stuff of some of the expansion pack mini's.

But his work looks like crap.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » November 1st, 2011, 2:39 pm

Yeah, those white ones from Italy? XD
But even if they didn't look like crap (which they do!) I don't think I would buy them.
Personally I'm somewhat against a person making a profit on bootleg merchandise like that.
Doing it non-profitable in a "closed group" like this is something completley different - in my opinion!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » November 1st, 2011, 3:12 pm

I do not begrudge a person a few bucks for their efforts.

But his product is crap and he charges too much.

Now if MB or some other game company were actually doing something wit this game I would feel diferant about someone casting mini's and turning a buck.
But as it is...the game is just languishing in obscurity. If anything we are keeping it alive so there is a potential market if they ever reprint.
Hell they could just reprint the stuff they already have and not make any more content and still make some money. Wonder why they don't bother.... Granted it wouldn't be a big money maker but not everything has to be a top seller to make money.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Ethica » November 2nd, 2011, 9:56 am

It's a real shame his results aren't better. I did see a nice troll with a HQ base that he'd cast, defects on troll skin might not be so detrimental too.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » November 2nd, 2011, 9:58 am

cynthialee wrote:I do not begrudge a person a few bucks for their efforts.

But his product is crap and he charges too much.

I agree. This is not just material costs - this is ripping people desperate to get the figures off.

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Big Bene » November 2nd, 2011, 10:47 am

Hi!

Sorry, havn't been around some time...

Uncle Zargon wrote:Ok here is the scoop on casting and mould making. All hero quest miniatures are 2 piece gravity fed moulds (easy!).
agreed
Uncle Zargon wrote: I wouldn't do pewter because itd be way to expensive for everybody involved. The mould cost is 30-40 dollars per model in materials alone. Not to mention the absurd cost of food safe pewter.
Sorry, I have to disagree. Foodsave pewter is about 10-12 € per kg, when you take the time to look it up at ebay. The good thing about pewter (as opposed to resin) is that it's reuseable. You can take leftovers, or "scrap metal" like old tin cans, plates etc, and meld them down. With resin, you have to use new material. The material cost of a figure of foodsave pewter would be somewhat less than 1€. Plus, casting resin is much more difficult, and you always have some waste (with pewter, you can melt down and reuse your waste, as well as any miscast minis). Moreover, we don't need foodsave pewter. For normal gaming purposes, standard casting tin (with 10-30% of lead) is perfectly safe. Just don't place it in your mouth too long...
Uncle Zargon wrote:As for expansion models I have only a couple so until I get my grub hooks on more Ill have to stick to the original game list.
Goblin-King wrote:Back to casting: Doesn't anyone perhaps have some expansion figures they would loan out temporarily to a project like this? For the greater good? :bites-lip:

@Uncle Zargon, are you aware of this thread?
Most of us have enough of the basic miniatures, we look for a way to provide the more seldom ones to those who can't get them.The problem is not to find someone who can do the casting, the problem is somone who is willing to provide the prototypes (i. e. the originals of the expansion set minis).
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Uncle Zargon » November 5th, 2011, 7:40 am

So I went to my local resin and plastic retailer and priced out the cost for moulds resins and even the dye needed to make the light blue plastic for the expansion minis. It all came to a little over 100$ CA. As far as expansion minis I have the wolfs, the ogre with spiked club, and kneeling elf archer all from the elf expansion pack.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Uncle Zargon

Postby Goblin-King » November 5th, 2011, 7:56 am

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the MotM ogres is the same as red AtOH ogres?
I find that these are not THAT hard to come by.
Personally I would be very interested in some good replicas of the wolves and elf archers.

On a sidenote... Have you tried making moulds for HQ figures before? A couple quwations pop to my mind.
Don't they get a double "mould-line"? Original and from new mould?

And does the original take any damage - Or even have just a risk of taking damage?
Last edited by Goblin-King on November 5th, 2011, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Market