• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Any one still make re-cast minis for hero quest expansions?

Guests may gather here to barter their goods, let others know what items they are searching for and post links to items others may be interested in. Or just vent about the outrageous prices on eBay.
Forum rules
Ye Olde Inn is not responsible for the trades/purchases made in this forum. Please exchange private information and transaction details via PM.

Re: Any one still make re-cast minis for hero quest expansio

Postby knightkrawler » June 11th, 2017, 12:23 pm

AND all buyers keeping the prices up by freakin' buying this *lemony goodness* can burn in hell, too.
There is (theoretically, everybody should have it) something like consumer ethics, and the absence of it from many markets is what keeps prices up in these very markets.
Smoking, in that regard, is no difference than buying a Yogurt with artificially produced strawberry cheesecake bits in it
or buying an OOP boardgame for 15 times its original value.

The problem on ebay with OOP stuff is, you can invent your price.
The nice person Goblin-King linked to doesn't need the money
and he will laugh his ass off if someone buys this *lemony goodness*. So go ahead, give him 2,000 bucks
so he can buy 3 more setsfor 350 bucks each and offer them for 1,500 each, and, if unlucky, sell them for 500 in two years.

I could go on and on about people like that guy.
I wanted to use words in stories like ladyboy hooker, arseface, and so on.
I guess I just did. Connect the dots.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby ladybird48 » June 11th, 2017, 5:39 pm

Big Bene wrote:Look good on his photos, let's see how the shipped figures come out.

But...
wtf...

300 € ?!

I say, let's make some moulds for the inn, and send them around to members to make their own casts.

Actually that's a good idea I'm defiantly down for that maybe we all put in for the materials and then I can make some molds and send them off. I was actually wanting to get into making some casts but the original figures are just ridicules. If any one else wants in on this let me know id be happy to contribute to that idea.
ladybird48

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby ladybird48 » June 11th, 2017, 6:09 pm

knightkrawler wrote:AND all buyers keeping the prices up by freakin' buying this *lemony goodness* can burn in hell, too.
There is (theoretically, everybody should have it) something like consumer ethics, and the absence of it from many markets is what keeps prices up in these very markets.
Smoking, in that regard, is no difference than buying a Yogurt with artificially produced strawberry cheesecake bits in it
or buying an OOP boardgame for 15 times its original value.

The problem on ebay with OOP stuff is, you can invent your price.
The nice person Goblin-King linked to doesn't need the money
and he will laugh his ass off if someone buys this *lemony goodness*. So go ahead, give him 2,000 bucks
so he can buy 3 more setsfor 350 bucks each and offer them for 1,500 each, and, if unlucky, sell them for 500 in two years.

I could go on and on about people like that guy.
I wanted to use words in stories like ladyboy hooker, arseface, and so on.
I guess I just did. Connect the dots.

Lol everything you just said is exactly how ive been feeling for the last couple weeks. I don't blame you and actually I completely agree with you except that I don't really care about the figures being originals I just want to play the damn game lol. I normally would never spend this kind of money on a game. but recently I've really gotten into it It brings me back to when I was little and my brother and I would visit my uncles. We would beg him to play it with us and when he did it was some of the best memories I have of growing up. Recently he decided to send me that same copy for my birthday saying he bought it brand new when he was 19 and played it with his siblings and friends for many years, now it needs to be enjoyed by someone else who will take care of it.
So my brother and I beat the base game and I wanted to play all the expansions and came to find these prices are way out of my price range. luckily I found this guy. Which by the way he is a great guy very cool person and very talented he does a lot of other things besides hero quest stuff but anyway in the end im paying $175 for all the minis I need to enjoy my game, support a young artist, and help the community out with this idea that Big Bene came up with. I don't see anything wrong with any of that?
Finally just so you all know I did get on ebay and find golden boy and I did message him just too see what his figures looked like and what his prices where when I was wanting to 3d print some for a comparison to the test prints I got. and he said he is no longer making re-casts. So the world is safe lol. As for you knightKrawler if you would like them ill send you the first molds I make for the minis I get so you may make your own figures to enjoy.This forum is a very cool place and there's no need for insulting anyone.
ladybird48

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » June 11th, 2017, 7:35 pm

Thantos is in the process of making some molds for the figures from the barbarian quest pack. His intention was to sell the recasts fairly cheap for those that want them, not to make a huge profit. I can get behind that. I have a hard time with the people that sell recasts for $20 a piece on eBay.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Fallensaviour » June 11th, 2017, 8:18 pm

knightkrawler wrote:
Fallensaviour wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:I have a rule of thumb. I won't pay money for a mini that I could knead from gummibears.

Okay ,did you look at his Facebook photos?
These minis look amazing?
Are you insinuating he maybe golden Boy?....because there is no comparison between the two judging by his photos.

I can't and I won't because I don't do facebook.
I don't mean his - or anyone's - talent and methods to resculpt.
I do mean the minis you guys want in the first place, to be precise I wouldn't pay any money to any one who reproduces a Polar Warbear, Frozen Horror, Ice Gremlin, Giant Wolf, Elf Warrior, Elf Archer, Elf Sorceress, or Yeti because of the bad quality AND taste they're in.
I get it, it's The Nostalgia, but from a little outside the hobby Hero Quest these miniatures are outright shitty and ridiculous and look like rubber toys from chewing gum machines.
I am well aware that I might get some flak here now...

My opinion about these models: they are easily replaced and proxied by miniatures from all over the world made by talented sculptors and awesome companies and less expensive.
Oh, and still legal (which is not a point I strongly make about recasting things that are currently not sold, but then again I do hold the miniature industry dear to my heart, so... it's a point again).
In spite of that, you still want these? You're a nostalgic completionist and I understand and embrace that.
What I still don't get? How a nostalgic completionist still resorts to recasts instead of the originals when a whole quest pack is just a little more expensive...

And that's a little more than you asked for, but there you go |_P
but whatever floats your boat.
(Might read a little arrogant, if not trollish, but I'm always hoping for people in the future reading this thread to maybe make up their minds before they spend this kind of money for something like a recast of a product that was - to me - a blatant excuse for a Hero Quest mini).

Did you look around? Do you have any idea what kind of beautiful miniature collection 300 bucks gets you as an alternative?

LOL....what colour was that piss in your cornflakes this morning....lol
Might read as a little arrogant?......Might read that way ?
No ,it was Arrogant!!!
Trollish,yeah borderline for sure.
So recasts are not for you and that's okay.
But the way you describe the minis you don't like them anyway.
I on the other hand do like them,weird I know being a hero quest site and all....lol
I like all the hero quest figures with the exception of the ogres which I have replaced with ogre bulls from Warhammer.
So a purest or completionest I am not , I have indeed looked around at other sources for other figures as well.
I just prefer the look of the original figures maybe I'm just sentimental,longing to return to my youth....lol

Now I am in my mid forties and been around the block a time or two have three children played 100's of games of hq over the course of the last 27 years.
Pieces get lost,they get broken things happen over time.
I need ;
1 necromancer
1 high Mage
3 wolves (used dire wolves don't like the look)
That's it ,that's all.
So trying to get something I think that is aesthetically appealing to match and keep in theme with the rest of my 100 + HQ figures just happens to be A) either over priced mini original or B) well done recast of originals.
I'll take B. All day every day.
If you don't like my choice.....Whatever.....You don't sit at my table so in the end your opinion doesn't matter... :lol:

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
Fallensaviour

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 12th, 2017, 12:47 am

It's my opinion and wasn't supposed to be yours.
It was a bit of a rant, I'll give you that, but what was so bad about my post?
I gave backgrounds, I gave reasons, I gave hints.

I really don't like the minis in the first place. And I said as much.
I still have to disagree with your assessment of "appealing".
The Frozen Horror and Mage of the Mirror figures don't fit the style of the earlier GW Hero Quest figures, that's exactly my major gripes with them.
Pure nostalgia keeps that market afloat while there's so many awesome miniatures out there.

I am very arrogant in regards to the minis I listed earlier...
They look like *lemony goodness* in my not so humble opinion.

P.S.: The piss was healthily light yellow, but I had asparagus, so it stunk.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » June 12th, 2017, 3:16 am

Well, there are reasons for and against recasts, but there is a demand, in the Inn and elsewhere, and finding a source of good and inexpensive recasts for those members who like them is a rightfull goal.

Regarding the originals, of course there can be different oppinions, too.
Heroquest figures were some of the first plastic 28mm minis at all. They look a little awkward, even the ones from the base game, but I still like them.
And every expansion published by the rightful owner in lilne with the franchise back then is part of the official (which translates into the postmodern "canon") Heroquest world for me. some sculpts I like better, some less, but that again was the fact even with the base game.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Thantos » June 12th, 2017, 4:27 am

Give me 10 days or so and will start moulding some of the minis Stratos sent over, and cast in vacuum cast resin. Will be identical detail to the real thing and a few quid a model to just Ye Olde Inn members who want them, just to cover costs. :)
Dont blow $300 on a set just yet, you crazy overpaying people :P
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » June 12th, 2017, 5:33 am

Thantos wrote:Give me 10 days or so and will start moulding some of the minis Stratos sent over.

Do you have all minis you need? I can help with ogres, mercenaries and the four chaos wizards (I know, not the rarest of all).
I have the original frozen horror (not the pack, just the FH figure), but he is buried in some box since my last moving, but if I find him, I could also send him (provided you send him back).
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Fallensaviour » June 12th, 2017, 7:00 am

knightkrawler wrote:It's my opinion and wasn't supposed to be yours.
It was a bit of a rant, I'll give you that, but what was so bad about my post?
I gave backgrounds, I gave reasons, I gave hints.

I really don't like the minis in the first place. And I said as much.
I still have to disagree with your assessment of "appealing".
The Frozen Horror and Mage of the Mirror figures don't fit the style of the earlier GW Hero Quest figures, that's exactly my major gripes with them.
Pure nostalgia keeps that market afloat while there's so many awesome miniatures out there.

I am very arrogant in regards to the minis I listed earlier...
They look like *lemony goodness* in my not so humble opinion.

P.S.: The piss was healthily light yellow, but I had asparagus, so it stunk.

Other than the arrogance,nothing was wrong with the post at all.
It was Your opinion of which you can freely give.
As was mine.
But again you disagree with "my " assessment of appealing ?
You can disagree all you want but it's "MY" feelings of what is Appealing to "my" game.....lol
I get you don't like them and that's okay.
I do like them and that's okay as well.
No harm no foul.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
Fallensaviour

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Market