• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Ral Partha Goes to KS... (Again?)

Guests may gather here to barter their goods, let others know what items they are searching for and post links to items others may be interested in. Or just vent about the outrageous prices on eBay.
Forum rules
Ye Olde Inn is not responsible for the trades/purchases made in this forum. Please exchange private information and transaction details via PM.

Ral Partha Goes to KS... (Again?)

Postby QorDaq » April 21st, 2016, 6:01 pm

Wow, some classic Ral Partha minis are going back into production through KS. And some new stuff too.

Ral Partha was one of my all-time favorite mini companies for years (and many years ago), when I was still painting and playing regularly. They always had awesome lines and just seemed to stand out against the competition back "In the Day".

Anyway, if anyone is curious, the link is HERE.

I'd be curious to hear what others feel about Ral Partha (old or new)...

maj!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Ral Partha Goes to KS... (Again?)

Postby whitebeard » April 21st, 2016, 7:38 pm

Yeah, I used to love these. I dug mine out when I started playing Dungeon! and then HeroQuest with my son several years ago now. He thought they were fantastic!

But the scale is wrong for HQ and there is just no going back for me. If I recall they are 25mm and the same scale as the Descent minis which I have seen.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby QorDaq » April 21st, 2016, 9:45 pm

whitebeard wrote:Yeah, I used to love these. I dug mine out when I started playing Dungeon! and then HeroQuest with my son several years ago now. He thought they were fantastic!

But the scale is wrong for HQ and there is just no going back for me. If I recall they are 25mm and the same scale as the Descent minis which I have seen.

Yeah, assuming that these are truly reprints from the old casts they are definitely not heroic scale pieces. Which, again going back not just a few years but a few decades, was one of the things I loved about them. Of course miniatures have evolved a lot, as have the standards in scale, in the interim. One of their solid competitors of yore was Grenadier, and in comparison I always liked how much more "Realistic" the Ral Partha stuff tended to be... Cleaner, better scaled, etc...

These days I don't paint, and I don't collect metal any more, but it took a long time for me to make the switch to larger plastic minis. Regardless, when I saw this KS go up there was a bit of nostalgia for me. Kind of like when Judges Guild recently made some of their archival material available via KS.

QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lucasdp » April 22nd, 2016, 12:21 am

I like Ral Partha minis! I've picked up a few for proxies and NPCs here and there. I think y'all are right that they're 25mm; they do look a little small on the HeroQuest board. But I love that vintage style. Sometimes I'd rather have a vintage proxy that's a little too small than a modern proxy that's a little too big...
I'm watching this KS and I might end up backing if I can narrow down which ones I "gotta have." That "one zombie from each race" set is pretty tempting...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » April 22nd, 2016, 9:33 am

Oooh, skeletal centaurs. So much good stuff

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lucasdp » April 27th, 2016, 10:57 pm

Miniatures aside, has anyone played the "Chaos Wars" game that RP is attaching to this KS? Just curious...

Rewards:
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby QorDaq » April 28th, 2016, 3:02 pm

lucasdp wrote:Miniatures aside, has anyone played the "Chaos Wars" game that RP is attaching to this KS? Just curious...

Nope, and in fact I had not heard of it until the KS went up. I am way out of the loop on metal minis in general, as well as games that rely upon them.

QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lucasdp » May 11th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Interesting update on this project, I thought might be applicable to some of us here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... ts/1571401

It seems they realized lots of folks use these minis for things other than the war game they've associated with this KS, so they're offering some new/different assortments; two adventurer packs (collection of heroes and NPCs) and what they're calling "Role-playing packs" that will feature just a few individual sculpts of each race/class, rather than doubling up on all the sculpts to build an entire army.

Also, the next stretch goal is a re-release of the "classic" Ral Partha game, The Witch's Cauldron. Anyone ever play this back in the day?

Rewards:
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby QorDaq » May 11th, 2016, 6:46 pm

Never heard of Witch's Cauldron no. Which is funny because it appears to be yet another very early model for a Crawler from what I've read. It's interesting to note just how many older proto-crawler games were made that I never knew about... Heh.

QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Return to Ye Olde Market