• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Ninja Turtles "sewer-crawler" on Kickstarter

Guests may gather here to barter their goods, let others know what items they are searching for and post links to items others may be interested in. Or just vent about the outrageous prices on eBay.
Forum rules
Ye Olde Inn is not responsible for the trades/purchases made in this forum. Please exchange private information and transaction details via PM.

Re: Ninja Turtles "sewer-crawler" on Kickstarter

Postby lucasdp » February 24th, 2016, 3:56 pm

I agree with you on human Bebop & Rocksteady. I am 100% baffled by that request. But I haven't read the current comics (which this is based on), so maybe they do something big in that storyline before they mutate?

I can certainly understand your (and anyone else's) criticism or apprehension of this Kickstarter campaign. I'm a bit nervous myself about backing without seeing any sculpts or prototypes of any minis. But with that said, I am in this game, for the Works.

Why am I getting the game? Based on the way my friends play HeroQuest, with an incredible emphasis on teamwork, I'm willing to place the Kickstarter bet that this game will be a big hit with my group. I think the dice-sharing mechanic is interesting and works well within the TMNT theme, and I know my players will squeal with joy when they find out they can go in a different order every round. I'm also super-looking forward to the eventual Krang expansion! If this game plays as well as I hope it does, I think they could knock it right out of the park with that expansion!

Why am I backing the Works? Quite honestly, because this is my first Kickstarter and I'm having fun with it! I want to get Splinter and the Mousers campaign and Bebop & Rocksteady right out the box, even if they likely will be released in retail (with different sculpts, as they've said time and time again). I'm happy to be getting the signed lithograph, but I think the other lithographs are totally unnecessary filler. Is the Works edition worth the extra $60? I think the answer to that is completely subjective...

Anyway, less than 30 hours left! Less than 5k from the next stretch goal! Please check it out if you haven't already, and make that subjective decision for yourself!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby QorDaq » February 24th, 2016, 4:25 pm

So I had a more detailed response, hit send, and the site lost it... Heh

Bottom line for me is, while the campaign has improved in value, I had waffled so many times on this one that I finally had to make a decision and stick with it. I chose to pull my backing after some careful consideration with my Game Budget Hands (Weighing my options). I came to the conclusion that I could live without dropping 160 bucks on a game that I was not 100% determined to own.

That said, it does look like a promising game, it's the Turtles and it's IDW, so there is a chance that it could be around for a while so those who are happy with their investment likely will be glad they backed the KS and got the extras early. The art is highly subjective as far as being a good thing to have in this kind of Kickstarter, however for those who are looking forward to having it I am sure it adds value--but I do not believe it ever should have been part of the elite pledge tier.

I suspect that those who choose to stick with the campaign will probably be glad they did, but I don't personally expect to mourn to deeply for having dropped out. Since I made up my mind to let it go, I have had no niggling second guesses about doing so. Point being, I don't feel the need to judge or warn people off of backing this project but I am happy to have stepped back myself.

maj!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » February 25th, 2016, 5:13 am

I ultimately ended dropping out as well.

The value is currently acceptable, but I asked myself if I would buy this if it wasn't TMNT.
I wouldn't, and combined with some of the uncertainties that still haunts this KS I opted out.

And luckily I'm not left with that "oh man!" feeling, but rather the "oh well" feeling.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lucasdp » February 25th, 2016, 6:19 pm

The KS hit 825k+ so all stretch goals have been unlocked! Three hours left to pledge!

If it turns out I'm the only one at the Inn who backs it, I will definitely let you all know my thoughts, how it plays, if it is worth the price, etc., as soon as I can. Scheduled for a July delivery, but we'll see what kind of shipping delays they may run into...

But for now, excitement as the KS draws to a close! Cowabunga!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby QorDaq » February 25th, 2016, 6:47 pm

That'd be great Lucas, I'm definitely curious to hear how the game plays and on the final quality of the contents and the like. Also glad for those that did back the campaign that the final SG was met...*Woot*...!

maj!

QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » February 26th, 2016, 3:18 pm

I'm all in for Masmorra atm. Looks amazing. Wish I had backed the original Arcadia Quest now :(
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby QorDaq » February 26th, 2016, 3:30 pm

Sjeng wrote:I'm all in for Masmorra atm. Looks amazing. Wish I had backed the original Arcadia Quest now :(

Unlike with the Turtles; I did not let myself even get tempted by Masmorra as I never invested in AQ--it was easy though because I am not a fan of Chibi-style art. I do, however, kind of wish I had a set of the AQ tiles. I have also considered picking up the AQ dice just to have, and the very similar dice in Masmorra look cool too. Not the monster dice but the combat dice.

maj!

QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » February 26th, 2016, 4:17 pm

Skipping Masmorra as well. I'm a Super Dungeon Explore guy. I like the minis better and frankly don't want to invest in two different chibi games.

Though SDE is going through an existential crisis right now...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby QorDaq » February 26th, 2016, 4:28 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Skipping Masmorra as well. I'm a Super Dungeon Explore guy. I like the minis better and frankly don't want to invest in two different chibi games.

Though SDE is going through an existential crisis right now...

I almost hate to derail this thread further, but...

I have never played SDE, though I have always been curious about the game-play. What is the nature of the shake up in the world of Super Dungeon Explore?

maj!

QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » February 26th, 2016, 5:12 pm

This is hardly a derail here at Ye Olde Inn. We are actually still talking about board games on page 5. I actually think that's some kind of record! :D

Anyways...
SDE originally used an "Adventure Tracker" to time certain events in the game. You moved a token along a board every time any damage was dealt. Eventually this would trigger the mini-boss and finally the actual boss.
In addition all damage dealt by heroes moved a second token on another track that would trigger loot at certain intervals.
Mechanically this worked really really great, but it was admittedly rather cumbersome to actually use.
Finally, the Dark Consul player were allowed to move all his units each round. Again it worked great mechanically, but it was a pain to actually remember which of the many units had actually been activated.

Then along came Forgotten King with a whole new ruleset that promised to "streamline" the game.
The adventure tracker was tossed. Instead the events became tied up to the destruction of spawnpoints. This meant that the heroes had zero interest in destroying the spawnpoints or even press forward, but rather hang back and grind for loot.
The consul only moves 4 points worth of creatures each turn. This means a lot of creatures will just stand around unused most of the time as you obviously prefer to just activate the strongest ones over and over. If everyone got a go, it made sense for a group to contain several weak units. Getting to attack with weak units is better than nothing. But now it's more like, attack with your strong units or spend the turn spawning those strong units. It's never an option to attack with weak units.
In addition, a whole lot of extra rules were added like adventure cards with traps and creeps, special keys, coins and actions that complicated something as simple as opening a chest.

Long story short... the "streamlining" meant the game got more complex and took even longer to play. Even the smallest game with 3 heroes easily takes 4 hours. The first 2 will probably be spent on the first tile.
Apparently there's now yet another iteration of the rules on the way in addition with "Legends" on it's way.

SPM is kinda getting the reputation of being great miniature designers/producers, but poor game designers - a sentiment I'm frankly getting behind more and more.
But who knows? Hopefully Legends and the new ruleset will be the things to blow us all away.

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Market