• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroScribe Won't Run Correctly

Discuss Icons for use on Cards and Quest Maps.

HeroScribe Won't Run Correctly

Postby mikemacdee » April 27th, 2016, 7:15 pm

[This topic was moved from General Heroquest Discussion on 7/22/16.]

So I tried installing the All-In-One icon set in HeroScribe, only to have it tell me that it couldn't save my quests, even though it told me that saving old format quests would auto-convert them. So I uninstalled, then reinstalled, and the damn thing won't even OPEN my quests -- it thinks I don't have Java installed for some reason, despite my having the latest version. I tried emailing the creator, Derfel, but he isn't responding.

I'm on Windows 7 using the latest Java. I have no idea what to do besides never mod for HeroQuest again.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Daedalus on July 21st, 2016, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game.
mikemacdee

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HeroScribe Won't Run Correctly

Postby clmckay » April 27th, 2016, 7:27 pm

An awesom forum member - StratosVX - has made a pre installed HeroScribe installation with everything already in it.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... =drive_web

Install the package in this folder. Remember to run the batch file, not the regular executable. That's a common problem with HeroScribe.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby whitebeard » April 27th, 2016, 10:04 pm

Why are you installing anything?

I just download the ".zip" file and run "java -jar HeroScribe.jar" from the command line. Apparently this is equivalent to double clicking the HeroScribe.jar file in windows.

I may be missing a step for windows users, but this worked for me on Linux (and mac before that). Windows by default does not have ghostscript installed (or Java), so you probably need to get that.

Please post the fix when you have it figured out.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mikemacdee » April 27th, 2016, 10:09 pm

I should've specified that I did it both ways -- the installer and the archive -- and neither worked correctly. I'll give it another go using the batch file instead.

whitebeard wrote:I may be missing a step for windows users, but this worked for me on Linux (and mac before that). Windows by default does not have ghostscript installed (or Java), so you probably need to get that.

I have it already. I've been using HeroScribe for years with no trouble. This just suddenly happened.

EDIT: Well this works so far. Maybe that download should be a default download on Ye Olde Inn, if it isn't already. If anything else crops up, I'll post here.

Thanks for the help!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game.
mikemacdee

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » April 28th, 2016, 12:06 am

Before saving a quest you have to set the right path to ghostscript (over preferences). Otherwise it will tell you that it can't save the quest.
Then you should be good to go. I did have the same problem(s) when I originally downloaded the All-In-One pack.
Derfel links to a ghostscript download from his HeroScrive page.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » April 28th, 2016, 1:50 am

The tool needs as well administration rights otherwise it will whine all the day.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » March 29th, 2017, 5:52 am

Geez Loueez, I haven'T done this in a long time.
What Java version do I need now for HeroScribe?

Can someone give me a direct link for a java-download (Windows 64-bit)?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Return to Icons