• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroScribe for Twisted Catacombs?

Discuss Icons for use on Cards and Quest Maps.

Re: HeroScribe for Twisted Catacombs?

Postby Jasper Akhkharu » February 28th, 2015, 9:39 am

drathe... did you do any of the coding when you helped out Derfel? Ive run into some errors with getting the cygwin stuff to work with the older tools that HS uses. I think it may be a 64-bit problem, so was wondering if you are using a 32 or 64 system. HeroScribe is an older program, so I'm wondering if the tools may have become outdated to the point where they aren't compatible with a 64-bit.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Jasper Akhkharu

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby drathe » March 1st, 2015, 2:30 am

Yes, I did the coding too. I'm on 32-bit.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby StratosVX » October 13th, 2015, 10:12 am

Jasper Akhkharu wrote:drathe... did you do any of the coding when you helped out Derfel? Ive run into some errors with getting the cygwin stuff to work with the older tools that HS uses. I think it may be a 64-bit problem, so was wondering if you are using a 32 or 64 system. HeroScribe is an older program, so I'm wondering if the tools may have become outdated to the point where they aren't compatible with a 64-bit.

I recently tried to install the cygwin files and was unsuccessful. I'm looking for work arounds. I was successful in getting maps made, but haven't tried icons yet.

Rewards:
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Jasper Akhkharu » November 3rd, 2015, 10:04 am

Its been a while since I've done anything on this, but if I recall correctly, the issue is converting raster images to vector images - HeroScribe uses vectors (.eps file extensions). The cygwin software is used for only that - the conversion element.

Adobe Illustrator is the most prevalent software for doing this. You used to be able to buy the software outright, but Adobe has switched to subscription only, which is $20/month for a single program. I was interested in making vector icons for TC and tried all of this out but had the same cygwin problem.

The actual coding inolved with getting the icons into HeroScribe is all basic python stuff, which i should be able to handle.

Rewards:
Jasper Akhkharu

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » November 3rd, 2015, 11:54 am

I've been able to use Photoshop to get my raster and sample images, and I use Terminal to make the gzip files for the vector images. I can get the icons to show up in Heroscribe just fine and they get placed on the map just fine. The issue I'm running into is with the exported files. When I export the maps as png images, everything lines up just as I had laid them out. However, when I export as an .eps file (my preferred method of export), none of the icons are where I placed them. They are shifted so the center of my icon is lined up on the top right corner (I believe it was the top right) of where I had actually placed them on the map. Adjusting the offset doesn't fix the issue, it just adjusts where the icon gets laid out on the map, but the eps export still has the same issue. I emailed Derfel to see if he has any ideas why it is doing that, but I haven't heard back yet.

Rewards:
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Jasper Akhkharu » November 6th, 2015, 10:26 am

Aside from exporting the maps in another format, i dont have any suggestons. It seems that HeroScribe may be nearing the end of its life. Its still a great program for doing what it does, but the software is getting old now. Lately I have been using a lot of Battle Map tiles (Heroic Maps, SkeletonKey Games and Lord Zsezse being my favorites so far) and I've been experimenting with using PDFs and layers to make maps with the HeroScribe Icons. I've had some pretty good results, although setting things up (scaling them, making them black-an-white, etc) is tedious.

Rewards:
Jasper Akhkharu

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » November 6th, 2015, 10:42 am

You can generate vector files here

http://www.autotracer.org/

Count Mohawk was banging my nose on it. It works well!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » April 5th, 2016, 5:29 pm

StratosVX wrote:I've been able to use Photoshop to get my raster and sample images, and I use Terminal to make the gzip files for the vector images. I can get the icons to show up in Heroscribe just fine and they get placed on the map just fine. The issue I'm running into is with the exported files. When I export the maps as png images, everything lines up just as I had laid them out. However, when I export as an .eps file (my preferred method of export), none of the icons are where I placed them. They are shifted so the center of my icon is lined up on the top right corner (I believe it was the top right) of where I had actually placed them on the map. Adjusting the offset doesn't fix the issue, it just adjusts where the icon gets laid out on the map, but the eps export still has the same issue. I emailed Derfel to see if he has any ideas why it is doing that, but I haven't heard back yet.

Hey Stratos,

Any ideas how to fix this? I am generating new icons directly in the vector package InkScape (I run linux), and the export to .eps has this same offset. The offset only appears in the exported .pdf, as the rasters are obviously fine.

I'm guessing that the usual eps format used in the base icons declares a reference coordinate system that is in the top right and this other standard declares (or does not or vice versa) it in the middle of the icon. So when HeroScribe draws our new stuff, we get the center landing in the top right of the box.

The EPS is just text, so a well placed text command in each file should fix it. Otherwise we just need someone who can create these files correctly to open our files in their tool and re-save to the compatible standard. Not exactly what I had in mind, but that *should* work too.

ideas?

Thanks.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » April 6th, 2016, 12:59 am

whitebeard wrote:
StratosVX wrote:I've been able to use Photoshop to get my raster and sample images, and I use Terminal to make the gzip files for the vector images. I can get the icons to show up in Heroscribe just fine and they get placed on the map just fine. The issue I'm running into is with the exported files. When I export the maps as png images, everything lines up just as I had laid them out. However, when I export as an .eps file (my preferred method of export), none of the icons are where I placed them. They are shifted so the center of my icon is lined up on the top right corner (I believe it was the top right) of where I had actually placed them on the map. Adjusting the offset doesn't fix the issue, it just adjusts where the icon gets laid out on the map, but the eps export still has the same issue. I emailed Derfel to see if he has any ideas why it is doing that, but I haven't heard back yet.

Hey Stratos,

Any ideas how to fix this? I am generating new icons directly in the vector package InkScape (I run linux), and the export to .eps has this same offset. The offset only appears in the exported .pdf, as the rasters are obviously fine.

I'm guessing that the usual eps format used in the base icons declares a reference coordinate system that is in the top right and this other standard declares (or does not or vice versa) it in the middle of the icon. So when HeroScribe draws our new stuff, we get the center landing in the top right of the box.

The EPS is just text, so a well placed text command in each file should fix it. Otherwise we just need someone who can create these files correctly to open our files in their tool and re-save to the compatible standard. Not exactly what I had in mind, but that *should* work too.

ideas?

Thanks.

I wish I did. I use Inkscape too, so maybe it has something to do with that program? Nothing I tried would fix this. Lately though I've been thinking of ways to make HS more user friendly to see if I might be able to (one day, probably in a few years with my schedule) alter the programming to be easier to import icons and maps. I have some ideas, but I don't know how feasible they are. If you do come up with a solution, for the above problem though, I'd love to hear it. I've compared the icons I've created and ones that come with HS in a text editor, but there are so many differences I have no idea what to change to try to compensate for the offset.

Rewards:
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Jasper Akhkharu » April 7th, 2016, 11:24 am

So my current project has been to make a HeroScribe-style map maker using Photoshop, exclusively. Ive been scaling map images (i use a lot of modular tiles like Lord Zsezse Works, Heroic Maps, SkeletonKey Games, etc.) and this has worked well. Photoshop's layers will basically let you drag and drop icons onto the map andplace them anywhere, so it should avoid any problems like those you guys have been having.

Once i finish sizing all my maps and converting them to black-and-white, i will be able to play around with icons. Im using PSE so i cant make icons themselves, but this should resolve any issues with icon placement.

I can keep ppl updated with this if anyone is interested. HeroScribe has just become too outdated for me to use effectively anymore :cry:

Rewards:
Jasper Akhkharu

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Icons