• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Skull and Shield needed

Members requiring unique/custom artwork to complete their projects may request assistance from the Artists group within this forum.
Forum rules
Members: If a request requires specifics, please be as descriptive as possible. When your requests are filled, please edit the your first post and insert [Complete] at the beginning of the topic title.

Artists: If you are planning on filling a request, please make a post as soon as possible and let everyone else know your intentions. This will allow other Artists to focus on open requests.

Re: Skull and Shield needed

Postby knightkrawler » August 28th, 2015, 2:55 am

sorcerersapprentice wrote:...working on some now...

There's a hint. Nicely done, sorcapp. They clearly convey what they are supposed to and look great. I like the red on black idea for "evil".
But aren't the designs too tinily detailed to actually look good in the small dice sizes?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby sorcerersapprentice » August 28th, 2015, 4:05 am

knightkrawler wrote:
sorcerersapprentice wrote:...working on some now...

There's a hint. Nicely done, sorcapp. They clearly convey what they are supposed to and look great. I like the red on black idea for "evil".
But aren't the designs too tinily detailed to actually look good in the small dice sizes?

Hi kk. Thanks mate, appreciated :) I've ordered a set for myself to see, how they roll, if they are too light, how well the stickers adhere & adhere under duress, as well as how visible/readable the symbols are at a glance/distance, and so on - so I will let you know.

But you may well be right, unless you have eagle vision like I do, such small symbols may be too small to clearly see during play so an alternative would be to have a single full-sized symbol and then a qualifier, such as Roman Numerals or 'X4' as in the following:

Something Wicked This Way Comes...

http://gametilewarehouse.wix.com/rpgtilesupply
sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » August 28th, 2015, 2:04 pm

sorcerersapprentice wrote:Not sure if you're saying my images are copyrighted or somehow I took these from the net and posted them here.. - if so, no, and no, these are mine and these images can be used for HQ dice freely.

So you used no source artwork from the net to create these?
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby sorcerersapprentice » August 28th, 2015, 10:18 pm

Oh, I see what you're saying. I missed the drawing bit. Hang on.

sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby sorcerersapprentice » August 28th, 2015, 11:40 pm

Ok I'm drawing an original gryphon, skull and dragon now that you can use with my permission. Q: do you prefer a passive gryphon or an aggressive one? I'm wondering how to do a skull in a heraldry style to suit the other two symbols...

sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby sorcerersapprentice » August 28th, 2015, 11:43 pm

Also, since the skull indicates a hit for both evil and good characters - maybe it should be two different colours. Black down one side, white down the other - or even replace the skull with say a white broadsword and a black jagged cleaver clashing with each other?

sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby sorcerersapprentice » August 29th, 2015, 12:28 am

Here's a Gryphon. It will need some electronic touching up and to be silhouetted but the bones are there and I'll bring you the meat soon.
(Edit) Because in HQ the Dark Forces and Heroic Forces are diametrically opposed, its probably better if the dragon stays dynamic while the gryphon remains stoic.

sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby sorcerersapprentice » August 29th, 2015, 1:23 am

Ok Torilen, here is one Gryphon hand-drawn and blacked in by me on a white shield that you can use in your project.

sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » August 29th, 2015, 1:27 am

Oh, wow, you're an actual artist!! I mean that sans sarcasm, if that's not clear. I can barely draw worth beans; I'm a touch better at computer-generated art but not by much.

I think it's probably best to leave the skull as a skull, if only because you're fulfilling a request and the requester specifically said "skull" in the opening post. Crossed swords are a viable alternative, though; I've seen it done that way in other games.

whitebeard wrote:
sorcerersapprentice wrote:Not sure if you're saying my images are copyrighted or somehow I took these from the net and posted them here.. - if so, no, and no, these are mine and these images can be used for HQ dice freely.

So you used no source artwork from the net to create these?

Let me just add, if Sorc-App did take the artwork from somewhere but could demonstrate that said artwork was either public domain or a reasonable facsimile thereof (some Creative Commons licensing allows for derivative works), it wouldn't matter that the art wasn't original to him.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby sorcerersapprentice » August 29th, 2015, 1:39 am

I am an actual artist yep. I prefer computer-generated art nowadays but I still draw, paint, sketch etc when necessary. Well looking again Torilen actually wanted the original Heroquest art, which I've drawn here, but not entirely sure on sharing it in case I do break some laws. He said it was for a kickstarter (I really need to stop trying to read/do so many things at once - im taking other requests on other forums too) too so that would put it in the public domain not just private use which I assumed it was for to begin with. To be honest I thought whitebeard was questioning my skulls with the roman numerals/xqualifiers. duh.

The dragon n skull were in the public domain, the gryphon I think can be traced back to tattootribes.com.

But obviously if you're going to sell these on a kickstarter you can't use that art. Sorry about that. So here is a Gryphon you have my permission to use, and I'll get onto a skull and a shield with a dragon.

(Oh, and you can see my GTW calling card in the image with a heroquest dice for good measure, just so you know I didn't rip a pic from somewhere.)

sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Artchive Requests