• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Nederlands/Dutch

We would like to have a version of Ye Olde Inn available in every language that HeroQuest was released in for fans of each language to enjoy. If you wish to assist us in this grand endeavour, respond in the appropriate section of this forum.

Re: Nederlands/Dutch

Postby Margrave » October 30th, 2013, 4:35 pm

You still have to give the original translators some credit though. They did not have much to work with to begin with, considering that (to the best of my knowledge) the only Dutch fantasy at the time was a rather liberal translation of Lord of the Rings (my stomach still turns whenever I hear the name Balings :? )
Later fantasy boardgames, such as the Legend of Zagor, didn't even try anymore... I recall them translating 'Barrel' (with a picture of a wooden barrel next to it) as 'Ton / geweerloop' (Barrel / gunbarrel) because they couldn't guess which one it was.
All in all I never had any problems with the Dutch translations. I was only 9 or 10 years old at the time and that game was all I knew. The weird names have just become part of the experience to me and keeping with them even lends a certain authenticity to the translations nowadays. :mrgreen:
Margrave

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Previous

Return to Homepage Translations