• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Display case for minis build

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Re: Display case for minis build

Postby phoenixcinder » June 16th, 2020, 8:05 pm

whitebeard wrote:Just send me whatever info you have on where these LEDs came from. And what type of battery you are using (as well as the new one you plan to use). And I'll take a quick look.

Currently using these lights and battery pack
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01KL9 ... UTF8&psc=1

I am waiting for this to come in the mail
https://www.extremeglow.com/store/p/400 ... Light.aspx

I got the version that takes d cell batteries, so I will be just snipping off the lights this came with and wiring it to the current lights I am using
phoenixcinder

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby whitebeard » June 17th, 2020, 9:12 am

Thanks for sending. I looked it over and these lights are very cool.

As an end product, as opposed to electrical supplies, we would need to disassemble these and document the circuit. There might be a resistor hiding inside the battery box... and since you are still using this, you are automatically good to go.

Running just one LED on the battery pack seems to be within spec, so I don't expect any damage. The other supplier calls them 4.5 volt LEDs so no resistor would be required there and these are probably setup to work the same way.

The 3 AA battery pack should light 100 lights. Have you already exceeded this number? Or when you light the entire strand, is it dimmer like this? I suspect the original strand was not more dim.

It is somewhat concerning that the new LEDs are bright and the old ones are dim. Maybe there is some minor damage from running only a few lights on the battery pack? It is more likely that the bright ones indicate that there is a bit less resistance in the wiring / solder joints to these LEDs and they are getting a bit more current than the rest. These wires are either much shorter, a different wire type, or you are getting better at soldering as you do more, etc. I would not worry too much about it. The larger battery pack should fix your issues by giving you more available current.

And Very Cool project by the way!
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » June 17th, 2020, 9:58 am

The cheapest LED solutions are sold without no current source and no resistor.
They calculate the internal resistance of the battery and the mini-resistance of the LEDs to delay the breakdown just enough so that the customer doesn't see it in time to send it back.
They stay good for one battery fill, sometimes for two or three battery refills, often then that's it.

If it turns out you accidentally damaged the LED, I would restart with something like this:

Link to Amazon

They have built-in resistors for protection, are self-gluing and need very little work for installation.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby phoenixcinder » June 18th, 2020, 10:12 pm

Testing out some rough pillars in various widths
phoenixcinder

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby phoenixcinder » June 20th, 2020, 1:27 am

Sprayed all the slats with multiple coats of gloss varathane so the light can bounce around better. I will most likely spray the underside of each slat as well for more reflectiveness

Cut some beveled strips to go in front of each of the slats

Each of the strips overhang the slat slightly so if you are eye level to a section the lights will not glare at you. Then I stained them dark to match the exterior of the display case.
phoenixcinder

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby phoenixcinder » June 23rd, 2020, 2:20 am

Got all the posts turned and sliced in half

All the posts in place. Just have to paint them all now
phoenixcinder

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby phoenixcinder » June 28th, 2020, 2:25 am

Getting the lights in the center column secured using a hot glue gun. And testing out the frontal peice to block the light

Testing out with minis

Middle column all cleaned up and lit
phoenixcinder

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby phoenixcinder » July 6th, 2020, 1:49 am

Finally got all the pillars painted up and varathaned Starting to glue them all in.

Really disliked how the pillar supporting the top row doesn't align with all of the other pillars in the column.

So I re-etched the outer columns in the top row to be 3x4 instead of 2x4 to force the front pillar to align with the others

All of the pillars in place, goodbye lego
phoenixcinder

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » July 6th, 2020, 2:08 am

I just love this hobby project!

You could share your icons here, too.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby phoenixcinder » July 6th, 2020, 12:22 pm

Anderas wrote:I just love this hobby project!

You could share your icons here, too.

Icons???
Not using any icons in this build
phoenixcinder

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext