• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

3D Environment

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Re: 3D Environment

Postby Spookyhappyfun » May 28th, 2020, 10:13 am

The head nodding when you switch races seems a bit odd, but otherwise, it's great!

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Dezziedc » June 2nd, 2020, 7:16 am

Spookyhappyfun wrote:The head nodding when you switch races seems a bit odd, but otherwise, it's great!

Yeah Spooky - that was something that was unintentional but I left in there originally as a sort of "looking at the mouse click" type of feature of Character creation. But I'll need to look at fixing it because looking at that over and over gets pretty old quickly.

In the meantime I've been playing around with the monsters and AI. Essentially I've been able to get 1 to Patrol and attack within a certain range. I've also been able to get this specific one to randomize the weapon selection as well as the order of the attacks (ie a range of animations that are played out randomly). My thought with the weapon randomisation is that in the board game, you really don't place the monsters into the game based on the weapon unless you have a named enemy in the game and the weapon might signify some sort of status. So for the Maze and given they are all orcs - I've included the 4 weapon options included as part of the miniatures. However, instead of including a notched sword, I've replaced it with a hammer.

The below example only shows 3 of the weapons in 4 restarts - they've just been randomised. At the moment I'm toying with health and doing damage etc so that isn't working yet, but you can see the health bar above the orc that I'll end up modifying and tweaking for damage etc.

Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby Dezziedc » June 6th, 2020, 2:22 am

A different take on the Dungeons - this is saving Sir Ragnar.

Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Spookyhappyfun » June 11th, 2020, 12:13 pm

My god! That's so cool!

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Dezziedc » June 12th, 2020, 4:15 am

Spookyhappyfun wrote:My god! That's so cool!

Thanks Spooky - here's a flythrough of that same area that I just completed.

Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Weltenlaeufer » June 22nd, 2020, 5:57 pm

:shock: :shock: :o :o

Epic!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Dezziedc » July 11th, 2020, 6:28 am

Weltenlaeufer wrote::shock: :shock: :o :o

Epic!

Thanks Welt.

I've been busy working on player UI and cleaning up a couple of the environments that I was working on. It's moving slowly forward. So many things to add and every time I add or change something I think of something else I need to do or I want to add. It's never ending!!! Given I'm only doing this in my spare time it sometimes feels like it's getting bigger than first planned!!! I probably need to put some sort of plan in place so it's not getting massive.

Anyway, when I need a break from doing the mundane parts of it, I've been working on a test outdoor environment. Would appreciate some feedback and thoughts on whether this is the sort of environment/feel you would expect when running around outside the dungeons. This is just a small area and like I said, won't be included in the game itself. It's more just a sandbox for me to test things and add new items and shape things differently etc. It's just one type of area that would appear in the world - but much of The Old World appears to be similar. Let me know what you think.

Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Gold Bearer » July 11th, 2020, 7:13 am

Really nice. I'd love to see this turned into traditional turn based HQ, if the original game could be recreated to look like that it would be awesome.

Just a couple of things that I think would help but you might disagree. I think it needs to be darker, it would look better and match the tone of the HQ artwork. I'm not really sure if I mean darker, I think I mean more darker colours.

Also a minor thing, the two doors at the top of those stairs don't look tall enough. It looks to me like the doors go to ground level and the stairs were put there afterwards, covering the bottom half of the doors.

Amazing work!
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Dezziedc » July 11th, 2020, 9:57 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:Really nice. I'd love to see this turned into traditional turn based HQ, if the original game could be recreated to look like that it would be awesome.

Just a couple of things that I think would help but you might disagree. I think it needs to be darker, it would look better and match the tone of the HQ artwork. I'm not really sure if I mean darker, I think I mean more darker colours.

Also a minor thing, the two doors at the top of those stairs don't look tall enough. It looks to me like the doors go to ground level and the stairs were put there afterwards, covering the bottom half of the doors.

Amazing work!

Thanks Gold Bearer.

I've been working on turning it into a more RPG type game at this stage. But it's funny that you mention the turn based thing - over the last couple of weeks I had been thinking of how I would go about turning it into an online turn based game as well. It might be something I explore.

I know what you mean about the darker feel. That was what I was trying to go for with the dungeon and the caves in the videos. The open world video above is sort of outside of the board game so I've just applied an external lighting - but there are heaps of different areas in The Old World so there are opportunities to change the lighting depending on where you are located. The above video is just a test environment to help me get an understanding of setting up environments and building in enough areas to make it interesting. Given it's not in the board game, I have a bit of flexibility with it so I can make changes as needed.

And with the doors, I think it is the angle. It's difficult to get a view the same as the image on the box. There is actually a platform between the top of the stairs and the doors that can't be seen so it's a bit deceptive. The colours with that scene were difficult to get right too. The box is more of an orangey red colour. It was one of the earlier scenes I created and I've learnt alot since then so I might revisit now and have another go at it...
Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Gold Bearer » July 12th, 2020, 7:20 am

I'm probably just being over-critical, it looks great. If you could recreate the original game and it's expansions with the official turn based rules (EU and US options) I think that would be the most well received.

There are certain rules that I think need to be altered slightly but I'd only add house rules to fix things that are broken. The dwarf and barbarian being able to cast from scrolls for example.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Project Forge