• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Weltenlaeufer's 3-D HeroQuest Board Project

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Re: W's 3-D Board Project

Postby Weltenlaeufer » January 3rd, 2020, 3:48 pm

Oh wow! Thanks Lestondante, this looks epic. The small mini on the right as well. Nicely painted demongate!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sparkymark » January 27th, 2020, 4:42 pm

Hey Weltenlaeufer. Great to see someone attempt another 3d board!
Those Hirst Arts molds are fun aren’t they. It will be interesting to see how this develops and see you put your own stamp on it.
Low walls will help move minis around as things soon get cramped. I went for the 3 block high walls mounted in the middle of a tile to give minis a bit more elbow room.
Keep the updates coming!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Sparkymark

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » January 28th, 2020, 10:05 pm

Sparkymark wrote:Hey Weltenlaeufer. Great to see someone attempt another 3d board!
Those Hirst Arts molds are fun aren’t they. It will be interesting to see how this develops and see you put your own stamp on it.
Low walls will help move minis around as things soon get cramped. I went for the 3 block high walls mounted in the middle of a tile to give minis a bit more elbow room.
Keep the updates coming!

Thanks Sparky! Your board is a huge inspiration! Yeah the hirstart molds are super fun. I am still casting. :) I wanna get another mold (egyptian mold) to solve the wallissue so it lines up right until I can start laying it all out. :)

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » March 20th, 2020, 1:52 pm

So far there is still loads of casting to do for the HQ board and I have been a bit lazy on that front. This might change now according to the current situation. I also need one more Hirstarts mold for the HQ project. But I really wanted to start to paint something to see where this is going, so I opened this little sideproject, creating new Dwarven Forge compatible dungeon tiles! I am pretty happy with how they came out for the first try. I glued the pieces on thick paperkarton as the base but I wanna get foamboard instead when I make more.

I love hirstarts, especially the cracked floor tiles, it all really comes together when you start painting them.

These are 3 separate pieces, two 2 by 2 floor tiles and one 2 by 2 floor with wall.

There are still some white spots here and there cause I had no black primer left, had to use white and paint over black, before the drybrushing. I wasnt thorough enough, next time I start with black primer, then straight to 3 layers of drybrushing. I also wanna add some flock/moss here and there, maybe some bloody tiles etc. This is fun! :mrgreen:

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Dezziedc » March 21st, 2020, 3:28 am

Wow!!! Nice work!!!

I have to ask - what are hirstarts?
Dezziedc

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Weltenlaeufer » March 21st, 2020, 5:26 am

Dezziedc wrote:Wow!!! Nice work!!!

I have to ask - what are hirstarts?

Thanks:) Hirstarts make siliconmolds for casting various miniature scale tiles/bricks etc. with modell plaster or dental plaster. Its pretty easy and a fun process, you just mix water with the plaster, fill in the mold, wait 30 minutes and you get a bunch of tiles. Then you build what you want, glue it together and paint. On page 1 of this thread I posted a picture of the mold.

For the pieces above I used two molds, cracked floor mold and the fieldstone wall mold.

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » March 21st, 2020, 5:44 pm

I made a few more prototypes to see how a tile looks with the fieldstone floor instead of cracked floors. I really like both versions, very cool to create different rooms with a different vibe.

I got annoyed just havin paperkarton around for the base so I ordered a sheet of black foamboard.

Once the foamboard arrives I gonna make a batch of both versions to create different rooms. Oh yeah and I gotta make some cornertiles as well.

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » April 15th, 2020, 7:10 pm

I finished a good batch of 2x2 fieldstone-floortiles and 2x2 cracked-floortiles last week.

I painted this batch with
vallejo black primer spray,
drybrush with Dryad Bark,
2nd drybrush Dryad Bark/Mechanical Standard Grey.

The foamboard for the minitiles is a gamechanger. Got one with 3mm thickness and its really sturdy.

I just laid out the new 2x2's on the big foamboard to get an idea on how big the HQ - board is gonna be (originalboard is 26 by 19 fields). This whole vision starts takin shape now that I see it with the painted tiles! I am getting excited to build that thing :D

Still on the fence if I should do a doublefield outerhallway or stick to the narrow one field hallway. Now that I see it I kinda like the look of the double outerfield! :) I wonder how it would change the gameplay though if there is more space to flee and move.

I gonna put the tiles for the whole HQboard on a 5mm thick foamboard, lets see if its gonna be solid enough.

The endboard is gonna be bigger than this, cause I have to put in the walls which is gonna add some centimeters. Gonna keep the walls low as intended! :mrgreen: |_P :orc:

Here are a few of the 2 by 2's. Hirstarts is dope, you can build anything and just putting a few floortiles together already feels like a room.

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » April 19th, 2020, 10:13 am

Jotting down some numbers to see how much there is still to cast:

Original board:
86 outer hallway
62 inner hallway
= 148 hallway stones total

Double Outer Hall Board:
172 outer hallway
62 inner hallway
= 234 hallway stones total

Damn...all of a sudden the single stone hallway sounds more enticing for the lazy dungeonbuilder :lol: :lol:

I still have 24 fieldstone floorpieces left, plenty of the others so they just gonna keep adding while casting the floors. So to get the amount I need for the board its gonna be 14 casts for the first option and 22 casts for the second option (including possible miscasts).

sounds

better

:lol:

Lets see once I hit 14 casts I gonna lay it out and see how it looks. end of rant :lol: |_P

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » April 19th, 2020, 6:48 pm

Update: I knocked out 9 casts a 3 molds today....berserkerstyle.... :fimir: :fimir:

5....more...to...go :bites-lip: :fimir: :lol:

Lets see if its gonna be enough, I have a suspicion there is the need for more walls when I am done but maybe they add up.

I laid out the tiles from my previous casts to figure out the details with the grid. The grid shifts because of the walls which I use on an extra space. The layout is not the final vision, some floors are gonna change and the hallways are gonna be fieldstone. Other than that this is goin in the right direction! :D The walls will stay like this and I need to get one more mold to add some variety. Then its gonna be mounting soon.

The vision is to get the board ready and painted before the end of summer. :)

Last edited by Weltenlaeufer on April 21st, 2020, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Project Forge