• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

3D Printed Build

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

3D Printed Build

Postby Sandman0077 » August 22nd, 2018, 2:31 am

Hello!

It has been about 3 years since I've updated my last attempt of a 3D build using Hirst Arts molds. Well, I can safely say that I have abandoned that build in lieu of making a 3D Printed version instead. The dental stone was just too much of a process, and I had little time I could devote to it to make it viable.

Instead, I have started modeling a version that can be 3D printed into sections. The design is based on Michael McDowell's 3D printed version, which can be seen on youtube.

I started with the TrueTile dungeon tiles on Thingiverse.com, as they allow a 1/4" wall between rooms without having to factor in any additional spaces to accommodate them. The wall sections are built into the 1.25"x1.25" tiles, allowing at least 1"x1" miniature space at all times, from all angles. Pretty neat design. The walls will be able to clip onto the floor tile pieces, as well as the doorways.

I have expanded the center hallways, just because. Now that I know how many of each type of tile section I'll need, I can start modeling the different floor tiles I've gotten off of Thingiverse. I want to recreate the different floor styles as closely as possible.

I'll update as I go. Thanks for looking!
"The World is not beautiful, and that, in a way, lends it some beauty; Therefore it is."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Sandman0077

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: 3D Printed Build

Postby StratosVX » August 22nd, 2018, 11:53 am

Keep us updated please. This looks like a very cool project.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sandman0077 » August 23rd, 2018, 2:44 am

Thanks! I plan on editing the clip on wall sections to be similar to my dental stone build, with sewers, etc. Stuff to make it interesting. Maybe even some torches, if I can figure out how to make those work within the size constraints.
"The World is not beautiful, and that, in a way, lends it some beauty; Therefore it is."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Sandman0077

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sparkymark » August 26th, 2018, 4:54 pm

Looking forward to your new project. Will the wider passageways work well with the original quests?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Sparkymark

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sandman0077 » August 26th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Sparkymark wrote:Looking forward to your new project. Will the wider passageways work well with the original quests?

No, I don't think it will be a problem. I plan on remaking the maps to accommodate the larger halls, anyways.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Sandman0077

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » August 27th, 2018, 12:14 am

Many of us have boards with double hallways everywhere. The quests work with little to no adaptation.

I have never seen 4-square-hallways, though. :lol:

Maybe you could use the extra squares to make bigger corner-room-sections? I've always felt that the rooms are a little bit too small in Heroquest; also modern games have one thing in common: rooms with more squares.

Even the heroic maps re-interpretation takes the board from 19*20 to 30*30 just to have bigger rooms everywhere.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Sandman0077 » August 27th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Anderas wrote:Many of us have boards with double hallways everywhere. The quests work with little to no adaptation.

I have never seen 4-square-hallways, though. :lol:

Maybe you could use the extra squares to make bigger corner-room-sections? I've always felt that the rooms are a little bit too small in Heroquest; also modern games have one thing in common: rooms with more squares.

Even the heroic maps re-interpretation takes the board from 19*20 to 30*30 just to have bigger rooms everywhere.

I was looking at the board and I can probably extend the rooms out so that all the hallways will be just two squares wide. I don't know, is it better to have the rooms more faithful to the original sizes? The halls are already changed, why change the rooms as well, you know?

I've started the process of converting the 2D room tiles to 3D forms. I originally wanted to just use the tiles I found on Thingiverse, but I'd rather make them accurate to the original.
Demo.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Sandman0077

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » August 27th, 2018, 3:41 pm

That tile is a thing of beauty.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » August 28th, 2018, 1:35 am

Personally, I'd chip away at the edges, just a teeny-tiny bit to have it a leeeedle more flexible when put together.
I might be off with that, though... If the measures are so exact that there's never gonna be an issue, then it'S all fine, of course.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sandman0077 » August 28th, 2018, 8:57 am

knightkrawler wrote:Personally, I'd chip away at the edges, just a teeny-tiny bit to have it a leeeedle more flexible when put together.
I might be off with that, though... If the measures are so exact that there's never gonna be an issue, then it'S all fine, of course.

The floor texture will be applied to pre-measured tiles I made in Blender, so I'm not worried about them not fitting together properly, as they will all print based off of the same size tiles.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Sandman0077

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Project Forge