• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Tuesday Night HeroQuest!

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

Re: Tuesday Night HeroQuest!

Postby lucasdp » June 2nd, 2016, 2:54 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:Well at least playing the end of the quest pack when they come back will remind everyone of where they were. It could seem a bit too much like a new game otherwise. ;) Are you doing against the ogre hoard next. Watch out if you are, there's a tone of mistakes in that quest book. You'll need to go through it first and sort them out, it's much less annoying than finding them as you go.

I somewhat arbitrarily decided to go against the accepted chronological order and we are doing RotWL following the original questbook, so it will be time to rescue the Emperor from Kellar's Keep after this. Thanks for the heads-up regarding AtOH, though; I appreciate that! |_P I was considering using Phoenix's localization when we get to that point. Maybe, hopefully, he has caught all the mistakes...
I'll be sure to read through it on my own first...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby lucasdp » June 16th, 2016, 8:09 pm

Court of the Witch Lord this week! Yeeeee-ah!
This was a really fun one, quite fitting for the final quest of an expansion.
First, the traps! oh, my Goddess, the traps! Vrag the Barbarian hit a spear trap right away and that got the ball rolling. Everyone was down by at least one BP before any monsters were even discovered! :twisted:
The orc statues were a nice little element. After Vrag hit a spear trap, Lady Darwin the Dwarf approached an orc statue, preparing to attack, when I let her know that they "appeared to be magical statues." There was discussion around the table about attempting to smash one, and for a few minutes I was getting excited that a hero might lose a weapon, but in the end they decided to play it safe and not mess with the statues.
This is a pretty good dungeon with lots of dead ends and traps, and it took the heroes some good exploring to find the right path. Also, did I mention the traps? :lol:
Vrag finds a secret door while Lady Darwin and Miranda deal with some zombies.

Inevitably, Lady Darwin and Miranda found the correct route and made their way towards the middle room, while Vrag and Gizzard the Wizard were in dead end of the south hallway. Gizzard used Pass Through Rock to catch up to the ladies, while Vrag had to walk all the way around. :lol:
(Quick, tiny cameo here from Lady Darwin's engagement ring, aka the Ring of Devotion, in the upper right corner :D )

When they found the Witch Lord, we had a good battle there! I cast Summon Undead first for some extra troops, then on my next turn I cast Command on Lady Darwin and I had her for three or four turns before the spell was broken! Almost took out Gizzard, too! Then Lady Darwin regained herself, Gizzard healed himself, and I fired a Lightning Bolt at them (taking out one of my own skeletons as well, but nbd, that's a fun spell I haven't used before!)
Gizzard and Vrag both hit the Witch Lord with Fire of Wrath (Barbarian had a spell scroll) and Miranda attempted Genie, but Witch Lord is not affected by Air Spells! Eventually, Miranda took out enough skeletons to make a path to the Witch Lord and take him out with the Spirit Blade.
I made a couple small changes I should note: First, I noticed that the Witch Lord is actually weaker in this encounter than he was when the heroes first met him! He has one less body point for some reason and can be harmed by a couple things beyond just the Spirit Blade (Fire Spells and Magical Throwing Daggers). So I gave him one extra body/mind point, although the extra mind point didn't really come into play. Second, I pretty much ignored the pit trap in the center room. I set the Witch Lord behind it as insurance in case anyone tried to come right up and attack before I got a turn with him. But that didn't happen. And by the time the heroes got anywhere near it, I had already cast Summon Undead. The room was full of monsters, a little chaotic, and actually, now that I think about it, I think all the monsters were blocking the trap anyway. So I kinda just intentionally forgot about it.

Hooray! We finished a quest pack! My lady friend, aka Miranda the Elf, wants a little break from HeroQuest, so I think we're going to play Betrayal at House on the Hill or Zombicide for a couple weeks, then we'll head into Kellar's Keep.

Rewards:
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lucasdp » September 16th, 2016, 3:08 pm

I'm happy to report that Tuesday Night HeroQuest is back on! Now that everyone's summer travels and what-not are over with, we've begun Kellar's Keep.

The Heroes entered the Great Gate and tore through the many Goblins, but eventually stumbled upon some Wandering Orcs after some unsuccessful searches. This put Gizzard the Wizard in a tough situation, but it was early in the quest, so he still had healing spells.
I had some fun with the "secret" Secret Doors and I think I timed their openings pretty well. I opened the first after they found the entrance to the middle room. I meant to open the remaining two on my turn after that, but I forgot. It was fine, though; I opened it on the following turn (so, two rounds after the first was opened) and it gave me a few more monsters to throw at them and forced them to decide if they wanted to go back for the treasure.
They did, and Lady Darwin the Dwarf disarmed the trap, so the Gargoyle remained a statue. They then made their escape; the Fimir at the end almost gave Miranda the Elf some trouble, but she dispatched him effortlessly.

This last Tuesday, we played the Warrior Halls. The traps in the first rooms knocked off a couple body points right at the start, but the heroes eventually made it past them. They made their way to the center room and managed to only set off two of the traps in there while fighting the enchanted suits of armor (Chaos Warriors).
I did make one small house rule here, which is that the enchanted suits of armor should have zero mind points. This doesn't make a huge difference, of course, but it does prevent the Wizard from playing Sleep. ;)
The enchanted Chaos armor did some damage to the heroes, but they persevered. Then Vrag the Barbarian and Lady Darwin went west, while Gizzard and Miranda went east. Gizzard triggered the falling block trap in the east room and jumped into the room. He considered using Pass Through Rock to get back to his companions, but in the end he decided to beef himself up with Courage and Rock Skin and move forward, facing the skeletons and mummies on his own.

He made it through, and the heroes rejoined each other and escaped through the wooden exit door.
They didn't find the secret door to the armory, nor did they explore lower middle hallway to be ambushed by the Fimirs. Has anyone's heroes found those Fimirs? They seem kind of pointless; I guess they're just there to punish heroes who continue searching when the exit has already been found.

So far, these have been pretty fun quests. My heroes are pretty powerful at this point, so Goblins aren't much of a threat, but I'll use those Fimirs when I can :!: and there are so many traps to keep them on their toes! :twisted: I know some here feel Kellar's Keep is kind of a weak questpack, but so far so good for us! I think after our long break, it was nice to have some quests that feel "standard" or "traditional" to refresh our memories on how it all works. I also want to note that we finished these in about an hour and a half; good time for us. Not sure if we've cut down on the AP and the side conversations, or if these quests just move faster.

Next week will be The Spiral Passage. Looking forward to using that rolling boulder.

Rewards:
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » September 16th, 2016, 4:26 pm

Nice to have these batreps backs. |_P
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » September 16th, 2016, 11:45 pm

Thanks for the report!
I am happy that you're back with the reports, as i find them always fun to read.
Spiral stairway is for me one of the quests that looks too long and in the end, frustrating. I didn't play it myself, though : I'd like to know how it plays out in reality!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby lucasdp » September 23rd, 2016, 1:37 pm

This week was The Spiral Passage. Pretty good quest; we had fun with it and there are a couple "new" elements to it that I liked.
First, the heroes encountered the Rolling Boulder trap in the first hallway. Lady Darwin the Dwarf had the best movement roll on her first turn, so she was far enough down the hallway to be safe, but Vrag the Barbarian, Miranda the Elf, and Gizzard the Wizard got hit, taking 3, 3, and 2 BP of damage, respectively. As the boulder rolled down the hallway, Lady Darwin took a chance through the second door, to face a few greenskins rather than get hit by the boulder. Eventually, the boulder crashed at the end of the hall. Vrag, Miranda, and Gizzard caught up to Lady Darwin to finish off the greenskins she had uncovered, and they finally found the secret door to keep moving forward.
The heroes were convinced that there was going to be a Rolling Boulder in every long stretch of hallway, and waffled a bit before stepping out into the East hallway. I actually think that would be a great idea for a new quest, or even a rewrite of this one. It would probably be necessary to lower the boulder's damage from 5 combat die to maybe 3, though, if one were to put the heroes in a quest where they'd be facing it multiple times.
I had some fun with all the traps in this one. The quest note "B" is actually a house rule that's always in effect when searching in a hallway (Can only search to the first trap discovered), but it played out very well in this quest. Especially when Vrag fell in a pit trap, only to be struck by a spear trap when he got out on his next turn. :lol:
As the heroes continued to wind their way down the Spiral Passage, the wooden "false exit" door did what it was supposed to. I placed it on the board with no explanation and, to my surprise, the heroes didn't start meta-gaming and say "Wait, I thought we were looking for the staircase, not that door" or anything like that. They did remark to themselves that it was unusual from the other doors, though, and sounded hopeful that it would be the exit or some treasure. Lo and behold, a room full of Zargon's minions! Miranda and Vrag worked on clearing out that room, while Lady Darwin and Gizzard with his tool kit disarmed the remaining traps (if I recall correctly, Gizzard sprung one, but was able to dodge it).
Then Lady Darwin opened the door to the spiral staircase and the group made a break for the exit, with a few Orcs chasing closely behind.

We had a good time with this quest and I don't think it dragged the way that some fear it might. This quest took us about 2 hours, maybe 2 hrs 15 mins or so. That's pretty standard for us, although I've noted that the previous two Kellar's Keep quests only took us about 90 minutes. The Rolling Boulder gives the heroes a sense of urgency at the start, and even with the long stretches of hallway at times, the heroes kept pushing forward. There were traps and enough monsters to keep things interesting, and I got a couple Wandering Monsters on top of that. I'm getting better (and having more fun) with the Evil Wizard deck, so I can use that to inject some fun if/when things get slow.
Overall, I think this is a fine quest. Maybe not the best one in Kellar's Keep, but like I said, it didn't take too long or feel like it was dragging.

Anderas, regarding the way my house rule for spells affects the difficulty of quests, I paid closer attention to just how many healing spells the wizard played this time. His rolls to retain spells were extremely lucky that evening and he basically got to play all three of his starting healing spells twice! Factor in a healing potion found during a treasure search, and you can see these Kellar's Keep quests are about as difficult as you estimate. In fact, Gizzard did actually die at one point, but Lady Darwin brought him back with their Rings of Devotion (the second time that house artifact has been used).

Rewards:
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » September 23rd, 2016, 5:05 pm

Again, a great read. Keep 'em coming.
You don't even know how invaluable these comments from you are. |_P
Rewriting KK soonish.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lucasdp » September 26th, 2016, 2:03 pm

KK, I'll certainly be interested to see your rewritten Kellar's Keep, and I'm glad I'm able to help you plan it! Let me know if there are any elements you are particularly curious about and I'll be sure to include how they played out in my reports.

I'm still thinking about rewriting The Spiral Passage with a rolling boulder in all three long corridors... :lol:

Tomorrow night will be The Dwarven Forge. That Fimir with the Rust spells is sure to cause some trouble, and since we're playing Kellar's Keep as one continuous journey, without trips to the Armory or Alchemist's Shop between quests, there's a chance this could really hamstring my heroes... :twisted:
Actually, I'd like to hear what you folks think about that Rust spell... Just non-artifact swords and helmets, right? I ask because Vrag, Lady Darwin, and Miranda are all swinging Battle Axes right now, and I'd really like to take at least one of those out. They all have decent back-up weapons (Broadsword, Spirit Blade, and Crossbow, respectively) so I wouldn't feel bad about taking an ax or two, at all. And even if we're saying the ax has a wooden handle, the "business end" of it is still metal, right?, so I don't think it's a far stretch to say that Rust could affect it as well. What do y'all think?

Rewards:
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » September 26th, 2016, 4:56 pm

I'm interested in the quests played vanilla, or with any changes you want to make to them.
I can go from there with interpreting my own rule system and changes into it all.
As I've already written an Orc-centered quest pack, one half of my rewritten version will focus on Skaven (Brood, as I call them), the other half on Orcs, Goblins, and probably evil Dwarfs.

On you play, I'll read along.

In regards to the Rust spell, yes, I've written my rules in such a way that it only affects Equipment cards, not Artefact cards.
It says the target hero must discard one and the artefact cards don't sport that icon.
That way I can clearly define what Equipment card can be affected and which can't.

Several weapons among my Equipment cards have both the metal and the wooden icon, so they can be affected by both Rust and Instant Mould spells.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lucasdp » October 4th, 2016, 12:15 pm

Prepping for the Hall of the Dwarven Kings tonight, I realized that I hadn't updated on last week's Quest 4: The Dwarven Forge.
This one was relatively straightforward, but with a few fun elements to play with (feels like I've said that before :lol: I guess that is why some are critical of KK as a quest pack).
For starters, there's the Orc at the beginning who opens the first door when he dies. This didn't really cause much trouble for our heroes, they were able to get in there and dispatch those greenskins easily. But it did give a nice sense of urgency in the beginning of the quest.
Then Vrag the Barbarian and Gizzard the Wizard wasted a little time in the dead-end, bookshelves room, while Lady Darwin the Dwarf and Miranda the Elf pushed forward.
Miranda got the treasure of the Fire Ring and found the secret door leading to the Forge, while Lady Darwin faced the Fimirs and Orcs in the southwest room and waited for Vrag and Gizzard to catch up. Eventually, Miranda entered the Forge and searched for treasure before traps. Whoops! Poison dart, two body points! But she found the piece of Grin's Stone Map, and then the embers from the forge blasted her at the end of her turn.

The damage caused by the heat from the Forge is something I would adjust if played again. Or, maybe I should say, I would adjust how to present it to the players.
At the end of Miranda's turn, I paraphrased the quest notes, something like: "Burning embers blast out of the forge, threatening a hero that ends his turn here. Roll one combat die."
So, I left out the part about the Dwarf not being affected, because I didn't want to just give that to them so easily, but maybe I could/should have done more to suggest that other heroes might fare differently in the room?
Either way, Miranda managed to not roll a skull, so she didn't lose a body point and she high-tailed it out of that room on her next turn. No search for secret doors, no discovery of the secret chest with 300 Gold Coins.
Looking back at it now, I think I would do the combat die roll for damage from the embers at the beginning of Zargon's turn, rather than at the end of the Hero's turn. This gives other heroes a chance to boldly rush in there withouth knowing the consequences, and frankly, wherever a hero ends their turn is almost always where they will be at the start of Zargon's turn. So that's my :2cents: on that mechanic.

Then, I got to use my Fimir with the Rust spells! After consideration, I decided to house-rule that the Rust spell can destroy Battle Axes. The Fimir rusted Vrag's Battle Axe first thing. The first Goblin and Orc in that room were defeated and I stupidly left the Fimir Spellcaster unguarded for a round. Amazingly, my heroes did not take advantage of this. Vrag, Lady Darwin, and Gizzard arranged themselves in a way to take on the monsters on the following round (I still don't understand thier line of thinking on this plan, but I don't really care because it helped me), while Miranda said, "Screw you guys, I'm not losing any of my stuff," and went into the next room to avoid the spellcaster. I moved the Fimir behind the Orcs and then rusted Lady Darwin's Battle Axe. The Heroes defeated the last two Orcs; down to them and the spellcaster. I rusted Vrag's Helmet. And then finally, Vrag struck down the Fimir Spellcaster with his Broadsword.

On their way out, the Heroes literally said, "There haven't been many traps in this one" right before Lady Darwin fell in the pit trap! :lol: Once they passed that, those last few goblins weren't too much trouble for them, but when they searched for treasure, I used my Evil Wizard Deck - Mimic Card to enchant the fireplace and set it after them! :lol: It didn't really do any damage to them, but it was a little bit of extra fun and gave them a bit of urgency to just finish the damn quest already! ( :lol: Zargon got a little bored after the Fimir Spellcaster was defeated)

Looking forward to the Hall of the Dwarven Kings tonight. Lady Darwin is going to find out that she's not too hamstringed by losing her Ax, because that Spirit Blade will be cleaving some undead flesh soon! Also, after all my searching for decent undead Dwarves, I ended up scooping a KS Dungeon Saga from eBay, so I'll be using their Dwarf Revenants and undead Dwarf King.

Rewards:
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Saturday Night DUNGEON!