• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Friday Night Dungeon with my Son

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

Re: Friday Night Dungeon with my Son

Postby Anderas » June 25th, 2016, 2:46 pm

The Trial is a hard one for the very young. It's quite long.
Seems as if you had fun! The next Session, is it already planned?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby torilen » June 25th, 2016, 3:25 pm

Tonight, if we have time. If not, tomorrow night. I at least want to finish The Trial
with him without waiting too long in between sessions.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby torilen » July 3rd, 2016, 5:07 pm

The Trial - part 2:
We're about halfway finished with the Trial now...we'll finish after some craft time with mama.

He has sent the barbarian on a "scouting" mission (my words, not Aaron's) on his own, and ended
up finding Verag, along with the 2 orcs and the Chaos Warrior. I figured, since orcs and goblins
are typically seen as cannon fodder, they would get tossed into the fray first. The Barbarian
stands in the doorway, hacking away, and getting hacked on himself. The wizard healed him
a bit, the Elf gave him "Courage". The Barbarian demolished the second orc to face him, and
now will most likely demolish the chaos warrior.

There are two rooms that were opened that have not been looted yet, and they have yet
to meet the mummy.

... More to come.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby aaronAGN » July 6th, 2017, 8:20 am

torilen wrote:
... More to come.

I hope so.
This is fun.
Cool way to deepen a relationship with your kid.
Hopefully his friends join in some quests.
You'll be the coolest dad in the neighborhood.

By the way, your son has an awesome name.
... My name is Aaron.
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » January 19th, 2020, 6:32 pm

Finally had the time and ambition to pull everything out and play with Aaron this afternoon. We're almost done with the Rescue of Sir Ragnar,
and we MIGHT move on, depending on what time we finish. We only have to find the hidden door and grab Ragnar and get out. All of the
other monsters are dead.

I am playing Morcar and the Wizard, Aaron is playing the Barbarian, Dwarf, and Elf.

Some funny highlights:
1 - goblin came running at the Elf, swung his sword and just missed. Elf smashed him dead.
2 - Barbarian ventures off by himself. Takes down two goblins and an orc. Searches an empty chest and gets a poison needle for his trouble.
3 - Wizard swings his staff at an orc, his staff gets stuck on an out-jut from the ceiling. The orc swipes and misses. They stare at each other dumbfounded.
4 - An orc runs down the stairs into the hideout, trips, and swipes at the barbarian as he falls, figuring he might at least try. Hits at his legs, and the barbarian blocks.
5 - The same orc quickly climbs to his feet and swings as he gets up, misses entirely, and gets smashed by the barbarian.
6 - At one point, the barbarian was going to die. He ran off so the dwarf could step in. The dwarf kills an orc, then runs over and tosses the Barbarian a healing potion
before the other orc can get to them.
7 - The elf and the wizard are in a room. The elf decides to let the wizard open the door (and the wizard calls him several funny names...not in real life to my son...but we all know that's what would've happened). The wizard opens the door, finds an orc and two goblins inside, and immediately calls on his powers to drop a ball of flame right on the orc. It dies in a horrible burning heap.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » January 22nd, 2020, 12:23 am

Sounds like a fun evening! My daughter asked to play that game on saturday. :mrgreen:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » January 22nd, 2020, 10:59 am

I'm thinking about taking it to my mom's on a Saturday here soon, since it is winter and very cold some days.
My practically 8 year old daughter wants to learn to play...my son is 10...and my two nephews are 9. SO...
I would have enough players for the heroes, and everyone can read. It would just be a matter of teaching
daughter and nephews the basics and see where it goes.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » March 22nd, 2020, 9:03 pm

So, since there is nowhere to go and nothing to do - we sat down yesterday to play.
This time it was me as Morcar and the Wizard hero, 10yo son as the dwarf and elf,
and brand new to it 8yo daughter as the barbarian. We were teaching her how to
play.

I figured The Maze would be the best to give her a show of the game and let her
get the feel of things. I told her she could play the dwarf next time, since that
hero can disarm traps AND fight.

Son and daughter laughed and giggled the entire time. Made jokes the whole time.
And for some reason, daughter said that the barbarian was constantly going off into
a corner by himself to eat strawberry ice cream. So, eventually, when she found
an empty room, I described a giant bowl of strawberry ice cream with chocolate
syrup and sprinkles just sitting in the middle of the room, quickly melting. She jumped
on it. :lol: :lol:

All in all, a grand time. She is hooked, and we will be moving on to the third quest in the
base questbook our next go-round. They're both super excited. And by the time all of
eases up, we'll be ready to teach my twin nephews (9yo).

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » March 23rd, 2020, 1:16 am

Strawberry Ice Cream? Yes of course, becausse he is wearing his swim suit! :lol:

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stig » March 23rd, 2020, 4:18 am

That sounds so great! Great tips too for DM parents - making up ice cream and emphasising the fun. Can't wait to get there, my oldest is 2.5, and my youngest is -20 weeks. A few years to finish painting the models!

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Saturday Night DUNGEON!