• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

ShuffleQuest Playtest: The Trial

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

ShuffleQuest Playtest: The Trial

Postby gootchute » December 5th, 2013, 9:35 pm

Hi everyone.

I have concocted a way to use HeroQuest modular tiles to replay old quests with random layouts. It utilizes nothing other than a short set of rules and a regular deck of playing cards. I call it ShuffleQuest.

Would anyone be interested in hosting the file, or should I just put it in my dropbox?

EDIT The rules: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3xsql20w81xvlv/ShuffleQuest.pdf

I took the time to play-test this concept with the first (USA) quest. Enjoy the story...

Our four heroes hesitantly enter the catacombs of Fellmarg's tomb, their quest: to eradicate the lurking threat of Verag, a recently awoken gargoyle who has taken up residence in the ancient acropolis. The corners of the room are thick with grave dust, but the path to the only door is well-worn. Something has been stirring in this darkness...

Beyond the door lies a corridor twisting out of sight in both directions. Morgart the barbarian slams the only door in the hall off of its rickety hinges, startling a goblin trying futilely to spar with a fimir. Volynar the elf peers down the closest corner to spy more twisting passages. Meanwhile, as Ject the wizard surveys the entrance chamber for clues, a scouting orc rushes down the spiral staircase vaulting over Dorgin the dwarf, and brings his blade down narrowly missing Ject.

Volynar the elf continues on his own to find an orc and goblin preparing a foul meal of manflesh in what looks to have once been a study chamber. The rest of the group ventures in the opposite direction to find more hallways.

After swiftly and single-handedly slaying his opponents, Volynar opens the next door to find it packed with the minions of chaos. A deafening roar echoes through the catacombs as Verag, the four gargoyle, unleashes his battle-shout. The rest of the party rushes to help the beleaguered elf.

Dorgin holds off the hoard in order to give Morgart time to arrive, as Volyna and Ject weave spells against the armored warrior charging at their stout ally.

After a hard-fought battle the minions of Verag are slain. Just as the gargoyle is about to get the upper hand in its clash with Morgart, Ject intercedes with a summoned Djinn which distracts it long enough for Dorgin to dutifully dispatch the dastardly death-dealer.

Looting Verag's throne room yields riches beyond imagining for these four intrepid adventurers. After a quick rest and some healing words, they continue to explore. The next room contains the animated remains of some of Fellmarg's champions. They are struck down with little trouble

The elf and dwarf split form the others to track down some goblins hiding under a table.

Morgart crunches across the skeleton's remains to find more greenskins in the next chamber.

After encountering more undead, disaster strikes as Morgart is laid-low by a horrifying mummy! The rest of the group fights on against the stinking corpses...

Before they can mourn the loss of their barbaric companion, Ject stumbles across a pressure plate which opens into a library inhabited by two studious warriors of chaos perusing its shelves. After a tough fight our heroes prevail, though their resolve is waning and their weapons hang loosely in their bloodied hands.

Knowing that Fellmarg's tomb has yet to be discovered the heroes search the walls of all the places they have visited. Eventually the secret portal is found by moving the jawbone of a skull bricked into the wall of Verag's throne room.

Tragically Volynar falls in the ensuing conflict. Fellmarg's undead remains are eventually vanquished and his tomb looted.

Weary and grief-laden Ject and Dorgin trudge their path back to the spiral stairs. Much gold and glory has been found this day, but friends have fallen, and adventuring does not seem quite as glamorous as it once did in the eyes of these wearied warriors!

:greyheart: :barbarian: :redheart: :dwarf: :greyheart: :elf: :redheart: :wizard:

An overview of the dungeon. The rules worked out quite well, although generating corridors can be tedious sometimes. Overall I think this is an interesting way to freshen up those old quests on your next play-through. Let me know how it works for you! (pending the posting of my rules)

And here is the score of monsters slain. The dwarf has clearly been the mightiest warrior this day!
Last edited by gootchute on December 8th, 2013, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: ShuffleQuest Playtest: The Trial

Postby chaoticprime » December 6th, 2013, 2:24 am

Two down! Hot damn! Good man!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » December 6th, 2013, 3:25 am

Quite interested in how you do this (the placing of the tiles that is)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sotiris » December 6th, 2013, 5:48 am

Yes, which process is followed when a hero opens a door or explores a new corridor? Is it complicated with dice rolls and cards?
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » December 6th, 2013, 6:03 am

gootchute wrote:
An overview of the dungeon. The rules worked out quite well, although generating corridors can be tedious sometimes. Overall I think this is an interesting way to freshen up those old quests on your next play-through. Let me know how it works for you! (pending the posting of my rules)

I would really like to see how this system works.

gootchute wrote:Would anyone be interested in hosting the file, or should I just put it in my dropbox?

Dropbox should be fine, I'm sure others use it. I use Google Docs. ;)
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » December 6th, 2013, 6:08 am

That's weird, but it must be still easy to play? Definitely if you've played these quests many times this would make it interesting again :)
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » December 6th, 2013, 12:20 pm

Thanks for posting this. I'm still pondering and pondering and pondering over ways of modular HQ.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Andy P » December 6th, 2013, 1:39 pm

Looking forward to seeing the rules. A random dungeon is easy enough... but how do you make a random dungeon that "feels like" The Trial, or any other specific quest?

It sounds like you played it solo; but this could equally be done with a GM. Wouldn't it make it more challenging for the GM to play tactically, not knowing the layout of the dungeon in advance?
Andy P

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Ragnar IronFist » December 6th, 2013, 10:10 pm

I'd be interested too! I've been wanting to incorporate by AHQ tiles but keep things a bit simpler than AHQ.
Ragnar IronFist

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby gootchute » December 6th, 2013, 11:23 pm

The rules: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3xsql20w81xvlv/ShuffleQuest.pdf

To answer some questions:

chaoticprime wrote:Two down! Hot damn! Good man!

Well if defeating myself is worth praise I guess I'll accept it!

Sotiris wrote:Yes, which process is followed when a hero opens a door or explores a new corridor? Is it complicated with dice rolls and cards?

No dice needed to generate new dungeon. only a deck of playing cards and a chart. The polyhedral dice you see in some of the photos were not used ;)

I have tried to make it as simple as possible but don't know it is clear in the text. Also the whole double-wide corridor thing is awkward to communicate, might drop it.

The goal was to not require a special set of cards in addition to the modular tiles, but also not get trapped in the never ending dungeon generation tables of Advanced HeroQuest. I opted for playing cards. Having to print and cut modular tiles is enough work! Just be sure to have various 2, 3, and 4 square single corridors and a couple of the 2*5 double-wides.

Andy P wrote:Looking forward to seeing the rules. A random dungeon is easy enough... but how do you make a random dungeon that "feels like" The Trial, or any other specific quest?

It sounds like you played it solo; but this could equally be done with a GM. Wouldn't it make it more challenging for the GM to play tactically, not knowing the layout of the dungeon in advance?

I think my colorful descriptions are what made it feel like the Trial. No idea if it would be enjoyable for others to explore. You guessed correctly, this was a solo play-test. I have since tested it with my brother and have been more and more dissatisfied with the corridor generation. Suggestions welcome.

As far as strategizing as the EWP... how much strategy can one have when monsters can't open doors and the heroes carefully explore one room at a time...
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Saturday Night DUNGEON!