• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

"Action! Heroquest" Weekly Rundown

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

"Action! Heroquest" Weekly Rundown

Postby chaoticprime » October 23rd, 2013, 4:56 am

Players:
Barbarian - Jenn (short sword)
Dwarf - Jenn (hand axe)
Elf - Jared (short sword, Deep Sleep, Double Image, Hypnotic Blaze)
Wizard - Jared (Dagger, Detection, Fire, Air)

Quest Pack: Rise of the Chaos God (w/more enemies)
Quest: Summoning of Strength

Rule Mods: Equipment Limits, Evil Wizard Deck, Pass/Fail Combat, Potion Deck, Movement Modes, Search Marks, Scatter, Scoring Mode, Two Weapon Fighting

Equipment Limits: There are only as many available items to purchase from the Armoury as there are Equipment Cards to represent them.

Evil Wizard Deck: The Evil Wizard player draws one card at the start of each of his turns where there are no monsters in revealed portions of the board. He may have no more than three cards in his hand at a time, except for when just after drawing a fourth card, which he may add to his hand only be first choosing one card already in his hand and discarding it instead.

Pass/Fail Combat: Attack vs Defense rolls do not directly relate to the amount of damage that can result. Instead, all types of weapons inflict one single point of damage when any attack roll succeeds.

Potion Deck: This is a deck of 60 equipment cards that is each a type of potion found within the game. The six potion-type cards in the Treasure Deck will be replaced with cards that read "Random Potion." This card instructs the player to then draw a potion card, at random, from the deck. Potion cards are removed from the game after being used. Potions reclaimed by the Evil Wizard are returned to the deck.

Movement Modes: Any Hero player, after rolling the two red dice for their movement normally, may elect to instead move exactly seven squares--but only if there are no monsters in any revealed area of the board, and their movement would not move them onto any squares previously unrevealed at the start of that player's turn. Basically, you can only do this if there are no monsters and you are backtracking or idling.

Search Marks: These are 1" iconic tiles that signify each occasion when a Search for Treasure may occur. Search marks are placed on the board in specific locations whenever a room's contents are revealed. Place one icon beneath the first, and only the first, monster that is revealed in the room. Place one icon on or under each object in the room, including any tiles that are revealed within the room (pit traps, trap-doors, rubble, blocked squares, etc). Do not place search marks beneath doorways. A Hero figure must be adjacent to a search mark to interact with one. Once this interaction has begun, it then assumes the Search for Treasure action normally. The Search Mark icon is available for download at the bottom of the page.

Scatter: Use a Blood Bowl scatter tile to randomly adjust the Quest Book's starting location for each monster revealed in a room. Also, when drawing a Wandering Monster card from the Treasure Deck, roll off of the diagram for the actual position of the monster. If that space is already occupied, or an object or wall, the monster is a no-show. If that space is not adjacent to the Hero that performed the Search, it may not attack immediately, as described, unless there is another Hero currently occupying an adjacent square.

Scoring: Make a scoreboard with player's names in each bracket, including one for the Evil Wizard player. Make stickers of all icons used by Quest maps to indicate Heroes, monsters or traps. Each time a player kills a monster, award them that monster's sticker by placing it in their area on the scoreboard. Each time the player completes a Quest with any particular Hero, award them that Hero's sticker in the same way. Each time a player disarms a trap, award them that trap's sticker. These are strictly for the purposes of having achievements.

Using these rules, gold no longer functions the same way and is now considered an aggregate score for all linked players. Gold found or awarded rarely decreases. Instead, it is a plateau for gaining rewards from the Armoury at the end of each Quest. The players may visit the Armoury each time just before the start of a Quest. Equipment from the Armory must be represented by Equipment Cards, which must be returned each time a Quest is completed, abandoned, or failed. Heroes do not retain equipment between Quests. Gold is not spent to buy equipment, rather the players may choose to do one of the following equipage interactions that each consider the value of the current score: they may obtain one piece of equipment from the armory with value equal to, or less than, the score; they may obtain two items of equipment if the value of each is equal to, or less than, one-half of the score; three items at 1/3rd, or four items at 1/4. Equipment gained must be allocated to any applicable player before beginning the next Quest. If a Hero is killed during a Quest, the value of his equipment will be deducted from the score if it gets claimed by the Evil Wizard player (not including starting equipment or that found during the same quest or potions of any kind). Each player maintains their own individual version of the score, based on their last quest, that must be recorded on the scoreboard. If any two players with different scores link together for a quest, calculate the mean value of their combined scores. Artifacts obtained through play are added to a cache accessible to Heroes linked to them. Before each Quest, all Heroes may each take one Artifact from the cache to use during the Quest.

Two-Weapon Fighting: If fighting with two weapons, you may still only make one attack roll if focusing on a single enemy, only you would be using the combined dice gained from both weapons. When fighting with two weapons you may also make a single attack roll that uses both weapons' combined attack strength against two any targets that are adjacent to you. The targets' defense will be combined for their single defense roll. The attack will either hit both targets, or neither.

Highlights:

All of the rules mods worked perfectly, and with little to no confusion from the players. Great joy was had by Jenn every time she "took an ear," that--of course, being her method of collecting a sticker for having slain a monster.

My finest hour was when Jared moved his Elf into the central room that contained the Quest's primary target. Jared cast Hypnotic Blaze after moving one-square into the room. The boss, a fimir, failed to save and was stunned, while the nearby orc succeeded, and was not. I played the No Escape card and sealed Jared's Elf in the room until the start of my next turn. At the start of my next turn, I played the Swap Monsters card with the boss fimir and an orc from another room. I then activated both of the orcs, and because Jared's elf had been previously wounded and reduced to only two Body Points, the orcs' hacked her up into bloody little chunks. His wizard avenged her death, but dared not search the room for fear of drawing a wandering monster card.

Quest Results:
Monsters Defeated: 15/15 (100%)
Search Marks Found: 15/18 (83%)
Traps Sprung: 0/0
Traps Disarmed: 0/0
Surviving Heroes: 3/4 (75%)
Overall Grade: 86%

Misc. Reports:
Gold Score: 250 points (with Quest reward)
Wandering Monsters: 3
Evil Wizard Cards Played or Discarded: 11
McNuggets Eaten: 20

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: "Action! Heroquest" Weekly Rundown

Postby knightkrawler » October 23rd, 2013, 10:59 am

Do that weekly, by all means! Great read, sounds like fun...
All rule mods will be playtested by myself - sooner or later - if not already implemented during writing the brunt of my houserules in May.
Potion Deck is planned, Pass/Fail Combat will be one of my "Wee Widdle Optional Wules".
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » October 23rd, 2013, 7:45 pm

What evil wizard deck do you use? Is it yours or someone else's? If yours - is it posted?
Also - the potion deck - are there multiples of each? How many?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » October 23rd, 2013, 8:38 pm

torilen wrote:What evil wizard deck do you use? Is it yours or someone else's? If yours - is it posted?
Also - the potion deck - are there multiples of each? How many?

I used my Evil Wizard deck, of course. I made multiples of each card. The deck is incomplete, by far, but it worked well for last night. It is posted here; here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1943

The Potion Deck contains two of each of the follows potion types, and contains a total of sixty cards:

Air Walk, Battle, Battle Rage, Charm, Defense, Dexterity, Frost Skin, Healing 1 Red Die, Healing 2 BP, Healing 4 BP, Heroic Brew, Holy Water, Icy Strength, Magic Resistance Damage Spells, Magical Aptitude, Magical Resistance Fire Spells, Magical Resistance Spells, Mysterious, Recall, Rejuvenation, Restoration, Restoration, Greater, Speed, Speed, Stone Passage (Elven Cloak), Strength, Venom Antidote, Vision, Warmth and Wolfsbane.

Here is a link back to the image I used for the card backs: http://deuc.free.fr/blog/files/HeroQues ... Potion.zip

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » October 26th, 2013, 11:11 pm

Players:
Barbarian - Jay (broad sword)
Elf (female) - Kara (short sword, air)
Elf (male) - Gabriel (short sword, earth)

Quest Pack: The Gathering Storm
Quest: Prince Magnus' Bling-Bling

Rule Mods: Elf Luck, Equipment Limits, Evil Wizard Deck, Pass/Fail Combat, Potion Deck, Movement Modes, Search Marks, Scatter, Scoring Mode, Two Weapon Fighting

Elf Luck: When rolling for movement and the results are doubles, the Elf automatically discovers any secret doors that he could "see," and then draws a Treasure Card.

Highlights: When you cast Pass Through Rock, I make you trace your exact intended route before you roll movement. Today that wound up catching the male elf in an eternal prison of immediate suffocation. The boss Chaos Warrior killing the female Elf in his very last turn was great. They also stumbled through EVERY TRAP. EVEN ONE THAT THEY HAD PREVIOUSLY JUMPED OVER, BUT THEN LATER FORGOT ABOUT. The sole surviving Barbarian then had to carry each of the three chests back out, one at a time. That took some time. Don't be sad, two out of three ain't bad.

Quest Results:
Monsters Defeated: 23/23 (100%)
Search Marks Found: 19/20 (95%)
Traps Sprung: 7/7 (-100%)
Traps Disarmed: 0/7 (0%)
Surviving Heroes: 1/3 (33%)
Overall Grade: 43%

Misc. Reports:
Gold Score: 490 points (with Quest reward)
Total Party Gold Score: 740
Wandering Monsters: 3
Evil Wizard Cards Played or Discarded: 16
Toes Broken: 1

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » October 27th, 2013, 3:41 am

Another gem. Elf Luck. There I go.
Reading the sentence in capital letters I'm thinking:
What if there's a piece of equipment that a hero can use to mark the squares trapped? A piece of crayon. And on every trap it's used on the hero rolls to see of afterwards it's still useful or if it breaks or whatever.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » October 27th, 2013, 5:05 am

chaoticprime wrote:Highlights: When you cast Pass Through Rock, I make you trace your exact intended route before you roll movement.

Why on earth would anyone agree with that? I always decide where I walk AFTER I know how far I can walk. The dice dictate where you CAN go, and THEN you choose. Cheap way of killing the heroes. I would not take pride in killing a hero this cheaply if I were Zargon. :2cents:
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » October 27th, 2013, 7:04 am

Sjeng wrote:
chaoticprime wrote:Highlights: When you cast Pass Through Rock, I make you trace your exact intended route before you roll movement.

Why on earth would anyone agree with that? I always decide where I walk AFTER I know how far I can walk. The dice dictate where you CAN go, and THEN you choose. Cheap way of killing the heroes. I would not take pride in killing a hero this cheaply if I were Zargon. :2cents:

How else is it possible for someone to actually get trapped in solid rock? If you so much as touch your movement dice before you declare movement at my table, you're gone. You don't get to cheat by knowing how far you're going to move when you choose to take an action. He cast the spell, pointed to a location eight squares away, and then only rolled a six to get there.

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » October 27th, 2013, 7:47 am

I don't think it's a cheap shot.
Mind you that the Pass Through Rock spell was designed with the rule that you may not move through any square more than once per turn.
This effectively makes the spell a risk similar to the spell using chaoticprime's mod, outweighing the lack of the original UK rule aforementioned in the NA rules.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby TMU » October 27th, 2013, 10:18 am

In my rules, all spells must be used before rolling dice, or after it but then you can no longer move. :2cents:
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Next

Return to Saturday Night DUNGEON!