• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Running the Japanese Quests (and others)

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

Re: Running the Japanese Quests (and others)

Postby gootchute » January 29th, 2014, 12:18 am

interesting pass through rock situation you had there. I would not have thought to check the final quest for room layouts behind the false doors. I guess it was always my interpretation tat the doors really did lead to nothing and the two rooms were excavated by the Witchlord while the heroes are retrieving the spirit blade.
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby bastianbux » February 13th, 2014, 7:35 pm

gootchute wrote:interesting pass through rock situation you had there. I would not have thought to check the final quest for room layouts behind the false doors. I guess it was always my interpretation tat the doors really did lead to nothing and the two rooms were excavated by the Witchlord while the heroes are retrieving the spirit blade.

That's certainly a valid interpretation. I guess I assume that since it says "sealed by a magical force" or whatever in the Japanese version, then they were actual rooms that are just sealed for whatever reason.

After a few weeks off, we're about to play HeroQuest this weekend. Most of the people who play with me have a weekly D&D session so they haven't been available for HeroQuest. In fact, the only reason they have been free for HeroQuest was that their Dungeon Master needed to take some time off to prepare for their next D&D campaigns.

Unfortunately, the Barbarian won't be able to attend because he and his wife just had their second baby. And the Elf won't be able to attend for some reason or other. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Dwarf couldn't attend. It might just end up being the two wizards, haha.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » February 13th, 2014, 10:16 pm

bastianbux wrote:
gootchute wrote:interesting pass through rock situation you had there. I would not have thought to check the final quest for room layouts behind the false doors. I guess it was always my interpretation tat the doors really did lead to nothing and the two rooms were excavated by the Witchlord while the heroes are retrieving the spirit blade.

That's certainly a valid interpretation. I guess I assume that since it says "sealed by a magical force" or whatever in the Japanese version, then they were actual rooms that are just sealed for whatever reason.

After a few weeks off, we're about to play HeroQuest this weekend. Most of the people who play with me have a weekly D&D session so they haven't been available for HeroQuest. In fact, the only reason they have been free for HeroQuest was that their Dungeon Master needed to take some time off to prepare for their next D&D campaigns.

Unfortunately, the Barbarian won't be able to attend because he and his wife just had their second baby. And the Elf won't be able to attend for some reason or other. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Dwarf couldn't attend. It might just end up being the two wizards, haha.

Fire your friends.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » February 14th, 2014, 7:30 pm

chaoticprime wrote:Fire your friends.

Haha, well, the Barbarian having a new baby is understandable. But the Elf didn't really explain why he couldn't make it. Looks like the Dwarf's wife is going to let him attend, so that's good. Two Wizards and a Dwarf should be enough, I suppose.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » February 17th, 2014, 3:50 pm

Quest 6: The Ghost Ship
We finally were able to put together a group to play HeroQuest this past weekend, but it was an odd group. Neither the Dwarf, Elf, nor Barbarian could make it, so that left the two Wizards. Thankfully Wizard #1's wife was able to attend and played a female Barbarian! :D She was VERY skeptical and worried that it would be too much like D&D (which she hated) but I assured her that it was really just a board game and there was no role playing involved. She seemed to enjoy herself.

This is an odd quest because it begins with the Heroes starting in the central room on a ghost ship and needing to find their way to the upper deck (the stairs). And, for whatever reason, the only way to that exit is via a secret door found in that starting room. Naturally, they didn't think to search that starting room for secret doors until they explored all the regular routes. They were bemused by the absurdity of secret doors being on a ship, and by the whole design of the supposed ship in general. Not to mention the falling rock trap which they accidentally sprung. Why are rocks falling from the ceiling of a ship?

And then some mistakes on my part. The map clearly shows a cupboard, but the quest notes' text says that it is a bookshelf. Whoops. That must have been my fault, I'll have to revise that. And then later on they discover a tomb (on a ship! what?) and the quest notes say that it is the ship's engineer. I can't remember if that was my faulty translation or if the Japanese really did intend for this to be some sort of anachronistic steam boat? I'll have to take a look at the original version and see if that was my fault and revise it to something more appropriate.

All in all, it was a pretty bland quest, but probably a good starting point for the new Barbarian. Not too many enemies, and not too full of traps. She was FAR more careful about searching for traps and secret doors than the other two players, which I found amusing.

Also, I changed how treasure is searched for: I know that the character doesn't have to be anywhere near a treasure chest and that when they search for treasure they just get whatever treasure is in the room, but they had discovered three pit traps that block off the treasure chest by searching for traps, and then they were like: "well, we don't even have to worry about those, because we can just search for treasure safely on this side and still get what's in the chest!" and I then realized how absurd that rule is, so I made them go stand by the chest (but first disarming one of the traps). Has anyone else run into absurd "searching for treasure" issues where the official rules just don't make sense? Did I commit a huge faux pas by making them go stand by the chest?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » February 17th, 2014, 3:54 pm

We do the same. Rooms and furniture can be searched for traps n treasure from anywhere except chests. You need to be adjacent to see if it is trapped, to disarm it and to loot it. Makes more sense that way.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » February 17th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Consider falling rock traps metaphorical for decayed wood and secret doors as holes.
You don't fight by rolling dice either, now do you?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » February 17th, 2014, 4:56 pm

knightkrawler wrote:Consider falling rock traps metaphorical for decayed wood and secret doors as holes.

Good point. I guess I'm a bit of a literalist when it comes to HeroQuest.

You don't fight by rolling dice either, now do you?

Hm? Is this in reference to it not being like D&D? I was purposefully downplaying HQ's RPG elements to make her more comfortable. And, honestly, that's my preferred method of playing the game: I prefer it to be more like a board game and less like an RPG because frankly I don't enjoy role play. :D

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » February 17th, 2014, 5:19 pm

No, I actually meant you don't use dice in a fight in real life. :twisted:
Hopefully. Cause then you'd be bastianbusted.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » February 17th, 2014, 7:13 pm

Oh, hahah. I see. :D

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member