• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Running the Japanese Quests (and others)

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

Re: Friday Night Dungeon (and snacks)

Postby Daedalus » July 2nd, 2013, 2:34 am

Keep those pics coming ;) Good to see play balance is working. Now to see how they fare against a Troll without a Wizard...or will the friend visit again?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby bastianbux » July 2nd, 2013, 3:15 pm

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I think I did pencil in a Troll for Quest 3 so it will be interesting to see if they take it seriously and choose to surround and attack it all at once or not. The new Wizard is invited to return, but trying to schedule things for the Cleric/Barbarian/Elf is tricky enough as it is, so I doubt he will be able to make it.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » July 9th, 2013, 1:28 pm

I forgot to take pics this time, sorry guys. :(

This was quest 3 of KK and boy was it boring. For those who don't remember, the gimmick of this quest was that it goes around in a spiral towards the middle with almost no branching paths. The only thing truly interesting about it was the bolder that drops and rolls after the heroes at the beginning. I totally didn't read the rules right at first, and allowed the boulder to roll over multiple heroes... but then the barbarian asked: "How do I get over the boulder to rejoin the group?" Ooops. Then, the quest notes tell me to put out the Wooden Door (the exit door) to "trick the heroes" even though they know they are looking for the spiral staircase. They find a room full of monsters. Any other group of heroes would have dashed away to the exit right around the corner, but these heroes have been trained to ALWAYS kill all of the monsters and always search for secret passages. So a long, drawn-out battle began. I finally gave in and strongly hinted that there could be so secret passageways since they'd already explored all the adjacent rooms... but they continued on. Oh, and also the quest notes created broke from tradition and would only allow me to tell them about one trap at a time in corridors which had usually three back-to-back. This breaking of the usual rules annoyed them quite a bit.

All in all, not my favorite of quests and I'm glad it is behind us.

Also, even with me not allowing BP regeneration between quests, this group is doing just fine. I think only one Potion of Healing had been used to save the Barbarian from death. They tried to convince me to let the Cleric hand over a PoH from another room, but I didn't go for that. :P The Cleric did have to use at least two of his three healing spells, but didn't have to use his Resurrection spell. In the next quest I have an Alchemist Shop set up, if I remember correctly, so they will have the opportunity to buy more potions.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » July 9th, 2013, 1:38 pm

Yeah, it's not the most exciting quest, but I kinda liked the spiraling corridors, the stairs and the boulder ideas. I'll have to look up on the blog if we killed everything :P
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 11th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Yeah, the boulder trap is tons of fun. :mrgreen: It's one of the highlights I still remember from the 90s playin HQ.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby roomandu » July 21st, 2013, 10:10 am

G'day all, noob to "Ye Olde Inn" here but used to play this game for hours with many friends and even more food n beers back in the nineties. |_P
After reading from start to finish am thoroughly enjoying the thread. Has brought back many good memories and started me thinking I may have to dig out 'The Ole Games' again with the kids. :D
Would like to offer a suggestion about regen BP's that we used to use as a bit of an odd ball rule occasionally ... being that 'If a living character or monster went 2-3 turns without suffering a wound or being in combat, then 1 BP was regenerated. Unfortunately undead or reanimated don't get this benefit'.
My partner at the time used to be GM for most games and she would get a seriously evil delight in rewarding a BP to characters then having a monster jump out in the next room or corridor and ungraciously remove said BP. :twisted: frustrating to say the least :smack:

Cheers all n keep up the happy gaming
Drew
roomandu

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » July 21st, 2013, 12:46 pm

Hi Drew! welcome to the Inn! Good to see more people picking up the game again. Feel free to comment on anything you read here, and to post pictures or homemade quests etc. :)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby bastianbux » July 22nd, 2013, 8:34 pm

Sorry for the absense. The thing is we actually had to skip our weekly HQ session two weeks ago due to schedules just not aligning. But we did manage to play last week.

It was KK Quest 4, The Dwarven Forge. The quest is pretty linear with really only one branching path in the middle, behind a secret door. The Heroes, who are usually supurb at searching for secret doors everywhere, did not this time. So they made it ALL the way to the final door and remembered that they still hadn't found the map fragment. Breaking the fourth wall, one of them said to me "but we searched for secret doors in every room" and I gave in and said "not EVERY room"... so they sent the Barbarian on a solo quest back through each of the rooms searching for secret doors. She finally found that door and made her way to the treasure chest.

Also, to spice this quest up a bit, I added one of the trolls in the final room.

Without the Wizard on their team this time, they had a more difficult go of it, but the Barbarian used her Heroic Brew to give herself the ability to attack twice and with two good rolls was able to take it down. I honestly thought the Elf would cast his Elf spell which amounts to the same thing, but that worked just as well.

I'm excited to see how the next quest goes since it is a pretty unusual one. :D

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » July 23rd, 2013, 5:56 am

Last night I had my first HeroQuest game with some of my best friends! I played Morcar, and my wife played the Elf. My friends played the other heroes. It was a great success! Up until now, I had only played with my wife and her parents, and my wife would be the DM. But this was a great experience! I set up the gaming table, and we played the Goblin Caves, a beginners quest from the Starter Pack by a guy named Carlos, hosted on Phoenix's website. It was a perfect beginners mission, way more interesting than the Maze.

My friends loved the game, especially the guy playing the Barbarian. He really got into his role hahaha. The dice tower also was a nice touch, they were quite impressed :D

They started to spread out a bit, but my wife stuck with the Wizard, having more experience with the game, and urged the others to stay together. Of course, the Dwarf and Barbarian wanted to loot and plunder once they fully understood the searching for treasure rules, and I managed to do quite some damage with my goblins. But it wasn't a hard quest, and in the end they prevailed. I had a good time seeing them miss many an attack, and my small goblins didn't even have to defend haha. The Wizard used all the damaging fire spells and even the Genie on the last goblin standing: only 1 skull rolled, but I was bad at rolling black shields, so all her spells worked.

Next up is the Rescue of Sir Ragnar!

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby bastianbux » July 23rd, 2013, 5:22 pm

Wow! Everyone gets their own movement dice? Nice! I should probably invest in a dice tower. The Elf like to (seemingly on purpose) toss the dice in such a way as to flip over furniture and monsters. :/ Your dice tower is awesome!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Saturday Night DUNGEON!