• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Running the Japanese Quests (and others)

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

Re: Friday Night Dungeon (and snacks)

Postby bastianbux » Monday June 3rd, 2013 3:58pm

I guess I wasn't very clear: In "Quest for the Spirit Blade" the Falling Rock Traps are a completely different breed. For whatever reason they seem to never cause an actual block to fall but are just unending falling rocks. And my guess is that the notes indicate that the ones in this particular quest cannot be disarmed, but I allowed the dwarf to attempt to disarm anyway.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby chaoticprime » Monday June 3rd, 2013 4:55pm

I always allow attempts to thwart impossible-to-thwart circumstances. It makes players feel like the the game has a larger scope.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Monday June 3rd, 2013 6:52pm

I think your instincts were right to allow the new Dwarf player to be a Dwarf and disarm the traps. It wouldn't make much of a first-game experience to deny him his unique ability. Certainly the traps can be searched for, as finding them doesn't involve moving onto the trapped squares. They can be jumped as well for the same reason. Disarming a trap does involve moving into the trapped square. If you wanted to you could reason the Dwarf must roll the red die for damage. He then rolls his disarm attempt. Or you could rule a successful disarm attempt avoids Body Point damage as usual. I prefer the disarm rule superceding the wording of the Quest note, which doesn't mention it can't be disarmed.

Either way, I'd say he can brace the wall and render it safe. Dwarves are good that way. If you feel the trap shouldn't be able to be removed, you could let the Dwarf benefit from his ability by disarming it only for his passing. Essentially, he has a better chance of not suffering damage by not springing the trap, reflected in his disarm die roll.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » Monday June 17th, 2013 6:44pm

One last session in the base game, one last session before I left for a week to Los Angeles for E3.

The quest was actually fairly quick all the way up to the confrontation with the Witch Lord. Then things came grinding to a halt. I used all of the Witch Lords spells on the Elf who had the Spirit Blade, trying my best to kill him. It looked like that might actually happen... I managed to place him under Command, and various other successful spells against him. But he finally ended up prevailing.

And it never occurred to me just how boring the end of the whole base game is for the other characters who do NOT have the Spirit Blade. It seems like poor game design to encourage co-op teaming up against the monsters... only to turn it into a one-on-one duel at the end with the Witch Lord and whomever was lucky enough to find the Spirit Blade. I actually took some pics this time around... but none that were very interesting, and none of the players wanted to be photographed. :P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » Tuesday June 18th, 2013 1:07am

nice legs :P

Those are cool cards you have, them light spells ;) and a female barby! sweet!

RPG Gateway Die Roller's 100

Uncle Zargon
Wants YOU!

HeroQuest YeOldeInn

Image Image Image Image

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Tuesday June 18th, 2013 4:41am

Sjeng wrote:nice legs

I concur. That picture you took is sexy. Blurred, but...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » Tuesday June 18th, 2013 1:47pm

Sjeng wrote:nice legs :P

Those are cool cards you have, them light spells ;) and a female barby! sweet!

She plays the Barbarian perfectly. :D

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with how the Light Spells cards finally turned out. That is version three, by the way, ha ha. I originally printed front and back on separate pieces of card stock and glued them together. Not only were they overly thick for cards, but I had sized them wrong and they were smaller than I'd expected AND terrible quality. So I redid them to get the right size and right thickness... and they were... but the image quality was terrible. So I started over completely from scratch starting out with much higher resolutions; I had stupidly thought that the higher the resolution, the bigger the cards would print. :P They ended up looking and feeling just like the other cards, so I'm glad I went through all that work. :D

The Elf Spells are also a print out job, and also look and feel legit. The players were shocked when I told them that they were printed out at the local copy shop. :p

Tomorrow we start in on Keller's Keep!

I printed out the quest book at work yesterday. Not the best print job, but it doesn't really matter much (the colors were a bit dull, I think we're low on ink). But I'm heading to the copy shop tonight after work to print out the new Artifact Cards and the tiles. I assume that the PDF on this site has the tiles sized correctly so that when I print it out they will be the right size? We'll see! :D

Also, I'm going to have them play KK a little bit differently: there will be no recovering of Body Points in between quests. I'm doing this because as-is, they were practically invincible during the past four or so quests due to all the equipment and the Cleric's Light Spells (he has three different types of healing spells and one resurrection spell). Instead, every time they discover an Alchemist's Bench (every other quest or so) they will be able to purchase from the Alchemist's Shop provided in KK along with my addition of Potions of Healing. This will give them something to spend their gold on and force them to play a bit more conservatively and strategically. I still haven't figured out what I'm doing about spells though. I suppose I could just restore those in between quests. But I feel like that doesn't make much sense and I'd like to find a way for them to be restored. Maybe I can add in Sorcerers Tables every other quest or so and when they find those their spells are restored? Or something?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » Wednesday June 19th, 2013 7:43am

bastianbux wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty happy with how the Light Spells cards finally turned out... They ended up looking and feeling just like the other cards, so I'm glad I went through all that work. :D

FEEL FREE TO SHARE THEM ;)

oop caps xD

RPG Gateway Die Roller's 100

Uncle Zargon
Wants YOU!

HeroQuest YeOldeInn

Image Image Image Image

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby bastianbux » Wednesday June 19th, 2013 4:41pm

I will! Also, can anyone point me to an expanded image of the Alchemist's Shop? I thought for sure I saw one somewhere. I KNOW I saw an expanded Armory as well, but now I can't find them anywhere. :(

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jewels! » Wednesday June 19th, 2013 4:43pm

bastianbux wrote:I will! Also, can anyone point me to an expanded image of the Alchemist's Shop? I thought for sure I saw one somewhere. I KNOW I saw an expanded Armory as well, but now I can't find them anywhere. :(

These?

Image Image

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Jewels!
A diamond in the rough

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Saturday Night DUNGEON!