• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Blackthorn's Dungeon

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

Blackthorn's Dungeon

Postby Blackthorn » January 2nd, 2013, 12:06 am

Last Sunday was the first time I ever hosted a five player HeroQuest session and it was a lot of fun. My friend JT and his son joined me and my two kids (ages 13 and 21) and ran though The Trial. Many monsters were vanquished and snacks of dubious nutritional value were consumed. Here are some highlights:

For this quest, my daughter chose to use the female elf miniature :elf: from the Elf Quest Pack which added a splash of color to our drab dungeon.

The quest went along smoothly and unlike our typical HQ sessions, the Wizard :wizard: was not under utilized. He even ventured off on his a own a few times, but met with an unexpected foe ;)

Simon the Dwarf :dwarf: and Sonic the Barbarian :barbarian: (our youngest players) also ventured off on their own in search of treasure. When the Simon entered this room, my daughter said "Uh oh, there's the alter. You've disturbed their Sunday service!"

The Barbarian assumed his usual "meat shield" role throughout much of the quest until he was reduced to one body point by a wandering orc :orc: . He sought assistance from the spellcasters, but by the time he reached them they had entered the center room and had used their healing spells to save their own skins.

JT, who played the Wizard "Tim the Enchanter" thought long and hard about which spells to use, and his careful consideration saved the day on more than one occasion. His fire spells (and yes, we did make him say "Fire of Wrath") were instrumental in taking down two Chaos Warriors :chaoswarrior: :chaoswarrior: and his Genie spell proved to be the bane of Verag the Gargoyle :gargoyle:

After the Gargoyle was defeated, Astrid the Elf took on the other monsters in the center room and told Tim to seek safer quarters until help arrived. Tim the Enchanter wrestled with the decision and it nearly cost him his life (it was actually quite dramatic with my daughter calling out "I've got this, save yourself!" and JT looking at the elf miniature surrounded by orcs :orc: :elf: :orc: and replying "I can't leave you like this").

In the end, Verag was destroyed, the heroes survived, and only and four rooms in the dungeon were left unexplored. Everyone enjoyed themselves and JT and his son are now HeroQuest fans who have committed to rescuing Sir Ragnar later this month.
Last edited by Blackthorn on January 2nd, 2013, 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Blackthorn's Dungeon: The Trial

Postby SomeCallMeTim » January 2nd, 2013, 1:02 am

A hard battle was fought,and we got lucky! If we had kept the party together, we may not have come so close to defeat!

Next time perhaps the young warriors will listen to the wisdom of their elders. Or not :)
SomeCallMeTim

Hero:

Re: Blackthorn's Dungeon

Postby Sjeng » January 2nd, 2013, 5:26 am

welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of HeroQuest, JT! :D
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby jimmeuh » January 2nd, 2013, 6:09 am

Great to be able to play with your kids!
I've asked my daughter yesterday... but I guess she wasnt in the mood.

Or maybe a 1-year old is just to young...
jimmeuh

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » January 2nd, 2013, 4:21 pm

snacks of dubious nutritional value

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Around Beernut's place it's more like liquids of dubious liver toxicating!

COOL to see a new game group created!
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maike05 » January 2nd, 2013, 7:08 pm

Really cool pics and storytelling !

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Blackthorn » January 2nd, 2013, 8:48 pm

Maike05 wrote:Really cool pics and storytelling !

Thanks! :D

Sjeng wrote:welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of HeroQuest, JT! :D

JT and I should start a new usergroup for HeroQuest players over 40. I have a suspicion it would just be the two of us :oops:
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Blackthorn » January 7th, 2013, 12:45 am

Tonight the adventurers faced their second quest, The Rescue of Sir Ragnar. My daughter couldn't particpate because she starts college tomorrow (she really has to sort out her priorities) so JT's daughter assumed the role of a nameless elf :elf: who twice came to the aid of his companions through careful use of his Earth Spells.

Though Tim the Enchanter :wizard: rose to the occasion during the initial quest, he did not fare so well this time around. Jealous over the treasure his companions had accumulated, he searched the first chest before checking for traps (can you guess what happened?). He later attempted to fortify his combat abilities by casting the Courage spell on himself, only to roll mostly shields during his next few attacks :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :whiteshield:. After being beaten down by Goblins :goblin:, he was revived by an extra healing potion that was somewhat reluctantly given to him by Simon the Dwarf :dwarf: .

Sonic the Barbarian :barbarian: lived up to his two mind points by venturing off on his own again (apparently my son remembered the location of Sir Ragnar's cell and kept it to himself). After vanquishing several monsters single-handedly, he took a well deserved nap before searching for secret doors.

By the time Sonic found the captured knight he was down to two body points and his companions, with their healing spells and potions, were on the other side of the dungeon. Luckily, when the alarm sounded only three orcs :orc: :orc: :orc: remained and the heroes managed to defeat them before Sir Ragnar took a single step (which made it seem silly to worry about which miniature to use for him).

Overall, it was a successful quest. Sonic had enough treasure to buy himself a shield and a dagger while Simon is wisely saving his gold for a crossbow. All four heroes vowed to enter the Lair of the Orc Warlord in search of further adventure.....after the barbarian catches up on his sleep.
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby jimmeuh » January 7th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Sweet.
Just like I remember when I played this quest for the first time as a kid :)
(mhm.. damn thats a long time ago :))

everyone wanting all the treasure... not seeing the co-op possibilities this game had :)
It was everyone for itself!

But it'll be ok, they'll learn eventually when facing the wizards of Morcar ;)
jimmeuh

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » January 7th, 2013, 7:25 pm

Umm...what the heck is that red and black thing that looks like a robot??

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Next

Return to Saturday Night DUNGEON!