• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

DARK COMPANY REWRITING

Discuss the Dark Company Advanced Quest from the Advanced/Master Game Systems

DARK COMPANY REWRITING

Postby gravaillon » February 10th, 2011, 1:43 pm

I'm working on the remastered version of the dark company in the same way that i have already done the Kellar's Keep official remaster.

But it's very hard ! I have some questions...
The 13 quests are the same quest with 4 boards. The dark company is made to play a mega dungeon. I have decided to clarified the maps. So I made a classic quest book with 13 pages, one for each step of the quest. Is it a good idea ? The gameplay will be different because there are a lot of step's quests that are very little (just 4 or 5 rooms and much are empty).
Another problem, is the doors that make the way to another step of the quests. If I decide to split the megaboard to a classic 13 quests book, I must give a number to all doors on the edge of the board, to give a reference on which other quests the game master must go after the heroes passes an edge doors...

Have you got some advices, some tips, some ideas... Thanks for contributions.
See my remastered edition of Heroquest and all the Quest Books on http://www.heroquest-reloaded.blogspot.com
gravaillon

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: Français
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: DARK COMPANY REWRITING

Postby drathe » February 10th, 2011, 1:52 pm

:2cents:

1. You could colour-code all the door icons that lead to another board and add a number to them. (green #1)
  2. You could label the page number and a corresponding letter identifier for each door leading to another map. (p.4-A)

You could make 13 maps, or four maps (one for each board) and follow one of the above, or perhaps someone else may be able to come up with an ideal way of doing it.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby polymathis » February 11th, 2011, 9:01 am

I also tried to break this up into 13 mini quests for my group, but it was far too confusing with the multiple exits, so gave up - my players don't have that kind of attention to work out where they have and havent been across thirteen maps with multiple exits.

In the end I made a giant board by photoshopping four separate HQ boards together without the borders, and adding doors directly to the board (not enough door pieces!). We then played it as a single giant quest... it took eight hours, but the heroes always knew where they were!

Good luck with breaking it up though - I'd be very interested to see the pack if you can manage to make it work.
polymathis

Goblin
Goblin

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jaguar69 » February 11th, 2011, 12:18 pm

polymathis wrote:In the end I made a giant board by photoshopping four separate HQ boards together without the borders, and adding doors directly to the board (not enough door pieces!). We then played it as a single giant quest... it took eight hours, but the heroes always knew where they were!

Good plan polymathis, any chance you can upload this quad board for the rest of us to try, must look absolutly epic!! :)
Jaguar69

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby gravaillon » February 11th, 2011, 3:20 pm

drathe thanks for good advices !
See my remastered edition of Heroquest and all the Quest Books on http://www.heroquest-reloaded.blogspot.com
gravaillon

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby polymathis » February 25th, 2011, 9:30 am

Jaguar69 wrote:Good plan polymathis, any chance you can upload this quad board for the rest of us to try, must look absolutly epic!! :)

I'd love to, but a recent hard drive crash when backing up my files fried both my laptop and my backup... fortunately I still have the printed copy to play with if we ever muster the courage to revisit the Dark Company!

I'll try to recreate the electronic file and post it at some point when I get the time...
polymathis

Goblin
Goblin

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby gravaillon » February 25th, 2011, 12:43 pm

i make the printable giant board for my remastered edition of dark company ! It's a great idea ! thanks polymathis
gravaillon

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HeroQuestFrance » March 22nd, 2011, 3:12 pm

My god then we will have to play outside...
I tried the quest there are ... 20 years ago or may be more.
Too much complicated and not interesting. I gave up too.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
HeroQuestFrance

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby gravaillon » March 22nd, 2011, 4:31 pm

I find it very interesting... Perhaps, we must add artefacts and some new elements, but I like the concept of the giant board... Perhaps we could give a map to player which will make their orientation easier. Just a part of the megadungeon...
gravaillon

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby polymathis » February 23rd, 2012, 3:55 pm

Jaguar69 wrote:
polymathis wrote:In the end I made a giant board by photoshopping four separate HQ boards together without the borders, and adding doors directly to the board (not enough door pieces!). We then played it as a single giant quest... it took eight hours, but the heroes always knew where they were!

Good plan polymathis, any chance you can upload this quad board for the rest of us to try, must look absolutly epic!! :)

Ok, so got around to recovering our giant board - its not pretty - just a quick and dirty photoshop of four boards bolted together with the rubble and doors already in place - but I hope that someone might find it useful. We preferred playing the quest this way rather than keep clearing the board.

For printing, we just printed across multiple sheets of A3 and glued it all together - it worked well enough. The image is at:
https://rapidshare.com/files/3960765238/Dark_Company_Questboard.jpg

Cheers.
polymathis

Goblin
Goblin

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to The Dark Company