• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest Quest Contest (Dice Give Away!)

Topics and Polling Stations for Previous Contests.

Re: HeroQuest Quest Contest (Dice Give Away!)

Postby Decipher » November 2nd, 2017, 1:57 am

j_dean80 was drawn for 1st place
lestodante was drawn for 2nd place

Thanks for participating everyone who did. Wish I could send everyone dice but that's out of my budget this close to Christmas.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby lestodante » November 3rd, 2017, 1:19 pm

Thanks a lot for the chance!!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » November 3rd, 2017, 7:10 pm

Thank you for running the contest Decipher.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby Decipher » November 16th, 2017, 9:25 pm

whitebeard wrote:Thank you for running the contest Decipher.
|_P

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » December 24th, 2017, 2:42 am

Thanks for the contest, Decipher! All entries were fine submissions, as you'd expect from Inn members. I have some comments.

whitebeard wrote:I give you "Unrest"

Unrest.pdf

Gotta love those sliding blocks, but do the ever turn out to be deadly! "All monsters, heroes, and dungeon features are restored to their pre-encounter state." At first, I took this to mean the entire board is immediately adjusted, whether visible to the Heroes or not. That way the necessary, sole route for escape can be deduced and Pass Through Rock isn't as likely to be wasted on an incorrect route.

However, following movement rules, monsters and blocked squares shouldn't be placed until they come into view of a Hero. Pass Through Rock gets a Hero past the first blocked square in the middle corridor, but it seems unlikely to me that the second blocked square obstructing the exit in the top corridor will be anticipated by most groups without actually seeing it moved on the board. A TPK would then result with everybody stranded.

Placing everything back immediately is the safer option to finish this Quest, so I'd go with mechanics over the 'realism' of LoS (apparently your intent.) A small addition can clarify the difference: "All monsters, heroes, and dungeon features are restored to their pre-encounter state." > All monsters, heroes, and dungeon features on the gameboard are restored to their pre-encounter state.

To avoid a TPK, a single Hero must make it back to the party alone through at least a respawning Skeleton and undead Chaos Warrior--EVIL! Well, a good challenge can be satisfying. How well equipped should the Heroes be to survive this trap?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » December 24th, 2017, 5:51 am

You mean because you have to move one of two moving blocks to get access to the evil one? I guess you reset the board only to the point in time when the heroes were directly in front of the door, no?

If you reset the moving blocks to their very initial position then this is indeed a deadly trap. Didn't look at it like that until now. :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » December 24th, 2017, 5:33 pm

Hopefully whitebeard can let us know the extent of the spell effect. On to another entry:

Gold Bearer wrote:
Wandering monster: pit trap, nice. Did you get the ideas for the movable blocks and undead chaos warriors from my recent quests? :)

This might show up in a sequel to the Lost Bretonnian Armoury that I'm slowly finishing the details of. The idea was that there would be another board with three levels before this one but it works as it is. I don't know how to make PDFs. Don't worry about putting me in the draw either, it's just to contribute.
ImageImage

I like how you handed the multiple stairways in the Quest Notes to cover availability options.

At first, Room D confused me, especially the reference to the wandering monster rules. Upon a later read, I understood it referred to the Wandering Monster die roll listed at the bottom of the Quest Notes. Does ". . . roll a combat die for each . . ." refer to each Hero in the room or each coffin? I guess you mean coffin.

I like the reactive feel of this surprise room. It's not necessary, but this clarification works for me and might help: If any Heroes enter this room, on your turn place one Quest Wandering Monster on each coffin. They may move and attack immediately. If still closed, the door to Room C also opens.

You've got some nice undead specials in this Quest. I think you've made fine use of the Quest notes to include them.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » December 24th, 2017, 9:06 pm

Daedalus wrote:Thanks for the contest, Decipher! All entries were fine submissions, as you'd expect from Inn members. I have some comments.

Unrest.pdf

Gotta love those sliding blocks, but do the ever turn out to be deadly! "All monsters, heroes, and dungeon features are restored to their pre-encounter state." At first, I took this to mean the entire board is immediately adjusted, whether visible to the Heroes or not. That way the necessary, sole route for escape can be deduced and Pass Through Rock isn't as likely to be wasted on an incorrect route.

However, following movement rules, monsters and blocked squares shouldn't be placed until they come into view of a Hero. Pass Through Rock gets a Hero past the first blocked square in the middle corridor, but it seems unlikely to me that the second blocked square obstructing the exit in the top corridor will be anticipated by most groups without actually seeing it moved on the board. A TPK would then result with everybody stranded.

Placing everything back immediately is the safer option to finish this Quest, so I'd go with mechanics over the 'realism' of LoS (apparently your intent.) A small addition can clarify the difference: "All monsters, heroes, and dungeon features are restored to their pre-encounter state." > All monsters, heroes, and dungeon features on the gameboard are restored to their pre-encounter state.

To avoid a TPK, a single Hero must make it back to the party alone through at least a respawning Skeleton and undead Chaos Warrior--EVIL! Well, a good challenge can be satisfying. How well equipped should the Heroes be to survive this trap?

Sorry for the delay... there are so many comments here to respond to. And I'm not sure I understand most of it. Or exactly what you propose changing.

See note 'G' about when to record the state of the board and heroes. You do this when you read note G which is immediately before opening the door to reveal the necromancer. The spell is a "time shift", so everything moves back to that point. This is how the necromancer knows he is outmatched and cuts his raise undead army spell "short". The effect is still devastating to the heroes. Pass through rock is not required to rescue the heroes. Understanding that any monsters you kill which are behind you, will reappear in front of you is critical to your survival.

EWP may place all revealed undead on the board immediately, or bring them in one room at a time. Following "The Rescue of Sir Ragnar" as a template, I would show the necromancer run out the stairs AND animate undead in all previously explored rooms for EWP to immediately control.

As far as how well equipted the heroes should be, they should be champions of the original 14 quests. This quest is now part of my DungeonsDark expansion, and it is stated over there.

While heroes cannot become trapped forever, the rewards can easily become unobtainable if you just push random blocks around... and yes, pass through rock could get you permanently stuck on the wrong side of a sliding block.

And I do recommend common sense line of sight when pushing blocks to reveal more of a hallway. Not sure if this was even a question?

I'm not sure if the heroes will make it. I have not play tested it yet. There used to be a lot more undead, but I scaled it back to match the figure count from the base set. I think they will if they maneuver intelligently.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » December 26th, 2017, 3:47 am

I see now--thanks for the clarification. I had neglected to reread the upper portion of the Room G note: ". . . he will use a time travel device to restore
everything to this point and escape." That should have set me straight. My focus was only based on the lower part of the note.

My problem was not understanding the "pre-encounter state" as a single point in time. I saw the rooms and corridors as each having separately encountered points in time, defined as when the Heroes successively revealed them in turn. Thus, I interpreted the spell as a ripple washing further and further back over the separately encountered times of each encountered area.

That would reset all features of the entire Quest map. The blocked square tiles in the middle-right and top-right corridors, being moved back to their starting positions, would then obstruct passage to the stairway entrance.

In this scenario (mine, not yours), exit is only possible by casting Pass Through Rock on a Hero. The Hero must then move to the upper-right corridor, move that sliding blocked square again, then continue on to the middle-right corridor and move that sliding blocked square as well. That would clear the return pathway to the stairway for all the Heroes. Anything less would kill of three of the Heroes, at least.

So anyway, I'd say no change is needed here as Anderas got it right. If you wanted, you could change ". . . All monsters, heroes, and dungeon
features are restored to their pre-encounter state." > . . . All monsters, heroes, and dungeon features are restored to their state just before this room was encountered.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » December 26th, 2017, 5:06 am

j_dean80 wrote:I present Scavenger Hunt.

At first, I thought, "Too many fetch requirements for a Quest." Then I remembered the title and thought, now that's a well implemented theme.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Previous Contests