• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Alternative bad guy

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Barbarian Quest Pack: The Frozen Horror.

Alternative bad guy

Postby Draven » April 4th, 2011, 12:02 pm

I downloaded and printed all of the tiles for the Frozen Horror quests along with most from Mage in the mirror. We are currently playing through the Mage set with some alternate ideas due to the fact that we dont have the original minis. Evil female sorcerer has been changed to male for example.

Without the minis for The Frozen Horror, one plan was to use the Stormmaster from Wizards of Morcar as a substitute for the Frozen Horror and just adapt the storyline slightly. I have also got a blue painted Fimir who could also play the part when we get to playing them. Anybody got any alternative opinions on how they would go about it, (I dont fancy buying more minis). Interested to hear if anyone has already completed these quests without original minis, and how thet got around it.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Draven

Zombie
Zombie

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Alternative bad guy

Postby gravaillon » April 4th, 2011, 12:06 pm

minis are really the problem of this quest pak... I have not yet played it (we just finished return of the witch lord), but I know that I don't want to play frozen horror without the adequat minis... No interest ! I must find them !
See my remastered edition of Heroquest and all the Quest Books on http://www.heroquest-reloaded.blogspot.com
gravaillon

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: Français
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Jaguar69 » April 4th, 2011, 12:24 pm

To get the feel right, i think you will just have to buy alternative minis that fit the feel of the monster. Not really any other way unless you buy the Frozen Horror minis which are just at astronomical prices.

There are paper versions that you can print of the actual FH minis, and these will keep the look of the HQ minis, but personally i would want to use an actual mini - original prefarably, but an alternative one more likely.

Alternative mini are suggested in the mini additions section here viewforum.php?f=56
There are some good replacements you can get out there.
Jaguar69

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby scarden » May 29th, 2011, 4:47 pm

I am putting together sets with the printouts here and using appropriate Mage Knight figs on square bases for the missing Minis. It is a work in progress but you can get Mage Knight stuff dirt cheap on e-bay
scarden

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby drathe » May 29th, 2011, 7:23 pm

If you like Mage Knight stuff, you may be interested in this: http://oldscratch.smackwell.com/cgi-bin ... 1305865262

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby LordZeke » May 29th, 2011, 9:23 pm

http://www.onemonk.com/component/conten ... rd-current

Look at the first set on this page... has alot of stuff.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
LordZeke

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Draven » May 30th, 2011, 10:41 am

LordZeke wrote:http://www.onemonk.com/component/content/article/7-forum-hoards/8-forum-hoard-current

Look at the first set on this page... has alot of stuff.

Thanks. They look brilliant.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Draven

Zombie
Zombie

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » July 12th, 2017, 8:44 pm

Draven wrote: Interested to hear if anyone has already completed these quests without original minis, and how thet got around it.

Well for the Female Barbarian, I had this alternative.
Like $3 from Reaper Minis.

Instead of Ice Gremlin, Yeti, Polar Werebear, and Frozen Horror - I've got an Ice Troll, Frost Giant, and Ice Giant.

Looking for closer substitutes, but I like these.
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » August 4th, 2017, 12:58 am

frozen horror replacement minis

aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » August 5th, 2017, 2:08 am

Didn't he say he doesn't fancy buying more minis?
Well, all these possible replacements look great, expecially the female barbarian from Reaper (but don't forget Zealot has one, too).
But I also think that doing an alternate version that works with the standard minis is a great idea. .
I would say, give it a try - and post it here!
Only problem is that I don't know if the FH quests are indeed good enough to make such a project worthwile. I never played them personally, but many inn members have complained they are unbalanced or even unsolveable.
Last edited by Big Bene on August 5th, 2017, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to The Frozen Horror