• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[WIP] Serving the Empire [9 quests]

The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects.

Re: [WIP] custom questpack [9 quests] by unknown author

Postby lestodante » February 16th, 2020, 5:03 pm

QUEST 1 : Anderas, I like the idea of giving that Goblin a small bow, so he can walk around the corridors and the heroes must trap him from 2 directions (the goblin is usually faster than a standard Hero movement roll).
I usually apply a mix of US+EUR rule for falling rocks: when there is an arrow it indicates the point where the rock falls and the rock icon is only the trigger (but is a safe area). If there is no arrow, the rock falls on the same tile that triggers the trap.
I thought that US version was the same. In both situations the rock icon is the trigger.
So now there is the chance that the first Hero goes outside the door and move to the right side so the rock will not fall for now and other heroes can go outside the room OR he moves to the left side triggering the trap and blocking the others inside and finding himself alone; at this point there are several situations that could happen:
1. Wizard cast Pass Through Rock on someone to go helping the first hero, not leaving him alone.
2. a Ring of Return (if he owns one) is invoked to come back inside and everyone else go back to the stairs, they exit all together (mission failed) and re-play the quest from beginning.
3. the solo Hero will continue the quest on his own until he will find the passage or, again the ring of return will help to be teleported inside or pass through rock if he is a spell caster and has it.

Quest 4: for the riddle in the tomb room I was also thinking to put another line, saying something that indicates that you need some friend to go on.
Anyway only 3 corners must be stepped on, I considered the chance that someone could be died during the quest.
I was also considering to create a tile appositely that could give some hints on where to step on.

Pancho wrote:Let’s hope that Hero has his Fimir-fighting hat on that day.

We should make an artifact card for the FIMIR-FIGHTING HAT! :lol:

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Playtest Quest 5: Disappearance of Sir Senet

Postby wallydubbs » February 22nd, 2020, 11:18 pm

I liked this quest, with 2 secret doors in the first quadrant of the board, one with undead beyond, symbolically evident it's leading to a dead end, with all the greenskins leading to the right path.
Leading into room A the heroes bottlenecked themselves as the :barbarian: had poor movement rolls and the :elf: blocked off the door to fire crossbow shots while the :dwarf: got surrounded. The :wizard: tried to get :barbarian: in there with Pass Through Rock but he only rolled :roll1: :roll1:. So they had to go another round with the :elf: casting Veil of Mist on :barbarian: so he could get in the room.

In the 2nd Room the :fimir:s rolled pretty good defense but the :goblin:s and :orc: didn't last long. Leading into another round of play :barbarian: finished the last :fimir: and :wizard: spotted the secret door. :elf: killed one :skeleton: with his crossbow, :dwarf: charged the other and fell into a pit.
The impatient :barbarian: ran ahead into the next room, immediately killing an :orc:, the :wizard: followed, taking out a :goblin: with his staff. :elf: was decided to stay put, fire a crossbow (I assume since the Dwarf is in the pit it could go through him), but he missed. :dwarf: despite being in a pit had his Battle Axe and killed the :skeleton: regardless.
:barbarian: finished off the last :orc: in room B and :wizard: searched for traps. :barbarian: would pick up the two Daggers from the rack next turn.

:elf: rolled :roll1: :roll3: while the :dwarf: ran forward, saw the two :zombie:s, and immediately killed one. The other stalked over towards him but was visible in the hallway, so the :elf: decided to backtrack on his next turn and fired a shot into its skull. The :dwarf: decided to go alone while the :elf: headed back to help the other two.
:barbarian: went into Room C taking out an :orc:. :wizard: cast Rock Skin on him, :elf: had a Potion of Speed, ran into the room, using a quarrel from Lord Lane's quiver, rolling :skull: :skull: :skull:, which not only killed a :goblin: but the :chaoswarrior: behind him. :barbarian: and :wizard: finished off the last :orc: and :goblin: on their next turn, and the :elf: spotted the trap on the chest, but the :dwarf: was out exploring the undead pathway. Luckily the :wizard: had a tool kit. :barbarian: found the secret door, :elf: killed the :goblin: in the hall with his crossbow. The :orc: got a hit on the :elf:, but :barbarian: was standing on the other side of the secret door and took him out with a diagonal attack. He threw caution to the wind walked out onto the spear trap and lost his Rock skin.
:wizard: rolled :skull: trying to disarm the chest trap and it blew up in his face, killing him. But he had a Healing Potions and rolled :roll1:... in his next turn he'd be casting Heal Body on himself.

By the time the :dwarf: finished off the two :mummy:s The :wizard: defeated the :chaoswarrior: with his Genie spell from his Spell Ring outside room D. :elf: then searched for Treasure but drew a Wandering Monster.

I allowed the :wizard: to cast Swift Wind on the :dwarf: despite not being able to see him.

I'm Room D :barbarian: took out the :orc:, :wizard: cast Courage on him and Tempest on :chaoswarrior:, :elf: fired another one of Lord Lane's quarrel through the :fimir: and :chaoswarrior: , only dealing 1 damage to the :fimir:. :fimir: attacked the :elf: dropping him to 1 BP. Despite having the :barbarian: having Courage and rolling :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :whiteshield:, :chaoswarrior: managed to block 3 of the hits. :elf: couldn't get another shot on the :fimir: so he chose to flee and cast Water of Healing on himself. :wizard: defeated the :goblin: in the room. :barbarian: blocked the :chaoswarrior:'s hits and :fimir: hit the :wizard: for 2 BP. :barbarian: then finished off the :fimir: and :wizard: cast his 2nd Genie against the :chaoswarrior:, though he rolled 2 :skull:s the :chaoswarrior: blocked both. :elf: fired his crossbow at the :chaoswarrior: but it was blocked again, he caught it out of the air! :chaoswarrior: landed 2 hits on :barbarian:. :barbarian: attacked again, still with Courage, 3 :skull:s rolled, but :chaoswarrior: blocked 2. :wizard: flopped on his diagonal attack against :chaoswarrior:. :elf: cast Sleep on him, which miraculously took hold! :dwarf: finally made it to the room and landed the final blow.
They found Sir Senet and completed the quest.

Part of me thinks there should be either a secret door or a hard to open one connecting the small Mummy Room with Room D. I understand there's a divide in this quest between Greenskins and Undead, but in the event that all the heroes follow the path from the first secret door the dead end is just disheartening. I feel if all the heroes take this path and Free Sir Senet it would set off an Alarm, causing the chaos Warriors and greenskins to come running... it's just a possible way to play it.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » February 24th, 2020, 6:00 pm

Simulation:

Quest 2, lair of the Gargoyle

This quest is apparently perfect for a group with 3 dice of equipment. The special gargoyle makes it a very tiny bit more complicated, not really.

I like the waking fimir! :-)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Re: Playtest Quest 5: Disappearance of Sir Senet

Postby lestodante » February 25th, 2020, 5:04 pm

wallydubbs wrote:Part of me thinks there should be either a secret door or a hard to open one connecting the small Mummy Room with Room D. I understand there's a divide in this quest between Greenskins and Undead, but in the event that all the heroes follow the path from the first secret door the dead end is just disheartening. I feel if all the heroes take this path and Free Sir Senet it would set off an Alarm, causing the chaos Warriors and greenskins to come running... it's just a possible way to play it.

Yes, I understand what you mean. But sometimes I like to be evil. I was also thinking to put a reward at the end of the undeads path (thay can eventually search for treasures and be lucky).
But I want the Heroes never have the feeling that everything is obvious. So I preferred to leave the map as it is. They just took the wrong direction and met only troubles! :twisted: :lol:

Anderas wrote:uest 2, lair of the Gargoyle
This quest is apparently perfect for a group with 3 dice of equipment. The special gargoyle makes it a very tiny bit more complicated, not really.
I like the waking fimir!

Thank you Anderas. I try to put something different everytime, without twisting the rules too much. So every quest is different for something in particular.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » February 26th, 2020, 10:32 am

In Quest 6: Domain of the Beast, it says the Gargoyle can drop falling block traps in the squares beside him. I have a few questions here:
1.) Does this require an action? Or can he do it to the first hero that steps up to challenge him?
2.) Do they all fall at once or different times?
3.) After they've fallen can here still attack diagonally?

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Fredostrike » February 26th, 2020, 10:34 am

I might try this out are all quest complete and working at the moment or is it still a WIP

Thanks
Fredostrike

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby lestodante » February 26th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Fredostrike wrote:I might try this out are all quest complete and working at the moment or is it still a WIP
Thanks

Still work in progress.. Wallydubbs is gently playtesting them.

wallydubbs wrote:In Quest 6: Domain of the Beast, it says the Gargoyle can drop falling block traps in the squares beside him. I have a few questions here:
1.) Does this require an action? Or can he do it to the first hero that steps up to challenge him?
2.) Do they all fall at once or different times?
3.) After they've fallen can here still attack diagonally?

it is a special skill that takes an action. Can be used ONCE and causes 3 rocks to fall at the same time. Since the rocks (as stated by official rules) are considered like a wall, NO, the Heroes can't attack :gargoyle: diagonally through the rocks.

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Fredostrike » February 26th, 2020, 6:15 pm

I wait for a final release then if definitely not good enough yet to playtest new quest i just restarted playing
Fredostrike

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Playtest Quest 6: Domain of the Beast

Postby wallydubbs » February 26th, 2020, 11:39 pm

Now this one played out very unusually, as things that wouldn't normally happen happened and the amount of :blackshield:s rolled was just alarming...

We started off with :barbarian: running off to find some action, but he wasted stung by the Spear Trap on his first move. :wizard: , :elf: and :dwarf: followed more cautiously.
A gem and a Wandering monster were drawn from the Treasure deck on the first two rooms, the :fimir: took another BP from :barbarian:.
Strategy took over when they opened the door to the 2 :chaoswarrior:a. The plan was maneuver the Elf in line with them to get a shot from Lord Lane's quarrel, but the :barbarian: fell in the pit trap. :wizard: cast Tempest on one of them as the :elf: decided to go with a regular crossbow shot, but :chaoswarrior: blocked it. :dwarf: did 1 damage to the :chaoswarrior:. Said :chaoswarrior: then attacked :barbarian: in the pit dropping him to 3BP.
:barbarian: failed to land a hit, while :wizard: cast Ball of Flame on the other one, rolling :roll5: :roll4: . :elf: finished off 1 :chaoswarrior: but it took another round of turns to quell the other. After :dwarf: disarmed the other pit trap :barbarian: once again drew a Wandering monster, but he failed to land any damge.
Before moving onto the next room :wizard: cast Heal Body on :barbarian: from his Spell Ring.
After charging into the next room :barbarian: flopped while attacking an :orc: and the :wizard: attacked the :goblin: for 1 :skull: , but :goblin: rolled :blackshield:.
Noticing the delema :elf: cast Veil of Mist to get the :dwarf: in on the action, but :dwarf: rolled :roll3: :roll1: on his movement and failed to join the fray. The :orc: and :goblin: hit and run, allowing another pair to run and hit, although :barbarian: blocked :wizard: took 2 hits. :barbarian: killed a :goblin: on his next turn, :wizard: flopped and ran, :elf: used Lord Lane's quarrel to kill an :orc: and :goblin:, :dwarf: took out the other :orc: .
By the time they were ready for the next room :elf: killed a :goblin:, the :wizard: had Rock Skin and the :barbarian: was 35 gold richer.
Despite rolling :skull: :skull: :whiteshield: on his attack, the orc in the next room inexplicably rolled :blackshield: :blackshield: on defence. :wizard: tried for Fire of Wrath on :chaoswarrior: but a :roll5: was rolled. :elf: managed to snipe a :goblin: and all :dwarf: hits were blocked by :chaoswarrior:. :wizard: takes another hit from an :orc: and :dwarf: blocks the :chaoswarrior:'s attack. :orc: once again blocks :barbarian:'s attack, but :wizard: managed to get him. :elf: managed :skull: :skull: :skull: from his crossbow on :chaoswarrior: and got the kill. :dwarf: found the room safe of traps. :barbarian: found more gold in the deck, but not wishing to waste his movement opted to go out the room and check the hallway. Seeing the 2 crossbow :orc:s he properly went back in the room and warned the others. :wizard: cast Swift Wind on :dwarf: since they were 9 spaces away from him. :elf: popped out and shot one down, :dwarf: made it to the Southern :orc: and chopping him down before a shot could be fired.
:barbarian: rolled short, when :wizard: went out the door he triggered the spear trap but rolled :blackshield:. :elf: went up to the northern corner, saw the :orc: , :fimir: , :orc:, and fired another one of Lord Lane's quarrel's getting :skull: :whiteshield: :blackshield:. The first :orc: :blackshield: , :fimir: :skull: :blackshield: but it managed to kill the last :orc:. The :orc: then promptly attacked :elf: but didn't do anything damage. :barbarian: failed to tell enough movement to help, but :wizard: managed to make the diagonal attack and kill the :orc:, opening up a space for the :elf: to fire his crossbow... but the :fimir: blocked again and made a poor attack.
Meanwhile the :dwarf: went scouring the middle portion of the board, spotting no traps until he he reached the hallway with the falling block trap, which he did disarm. In the empty room at northern end of the corridor he drew a Wandering monster from the Treasure deck, but killed it on his next turn.

After :wizard: killed the :fimir: the :elf: spotted the falling block trap all the way down the hall, but the :dwarf: was nowhere to be found, fortunately the :wizard: had a tool kit. The 3 cautiously approached and :barbarian: gave :wizard: his healing potion. Unfortunately :wizard: rolled :skull: and caused the tunnel to cave in, crashing down on the :barbarian:. I allowed the :wizard: to cast Pass Through Rock on :barbarian: even though line of sight was now blocked, but this meant that the :elf: had to take the long way around.

:dwarf: was the first to make it to the line of :orc:s, but was soon followed by :wizard: and :barbarian: from the other end. :wizard: failed to kill an :orc: and :barbarian: was first turn order so he has to wait until :wizard: moved to get an adequate attack in. But :dwarf: was rolling good defense and fair offense. :wizard: rolled :roll6: :roll5: on movement after failing to kill the :orc: again and decided to scopd out the Southern hallway, alerting the :skeleton:, which would slowly give chase. :barbarian: and :dwarf: cleared out the :orc:s by the time the :elf: made it to them and they all regrouped to go after the central Chamber.
:barbarian: made first attack, defeating a :skeleton:. :wizard: cast Courage on him. :elf: moved up to the corner and fired Lord Lane's quarrel through :skeleton:, :fimir:, :chaoswarrior: rolling :skull: :skull: :blackshield:, though it killed the first 2 the :chaoswarrior: blocked both hits. :dwarf: managed to take out a :skeleton:.
The :skeleton: from the southern corridor made it up to the central hall. :chaoswarrior: ran up to the :elf: rolling :skull: :skull: :skull: :blackshield:, but :elf: failed to block. :dwarf: and :barbarian: blocked the remaining :fimir: and :skeleton:.
:wizard: attacked the :skeleton: rolling :skull: :skull: , but the :skeleton: rolled :blackshield: :blackshield: in defense! :barbarian: and :elf: managed to take out :chaoswarrior: on their subsequent attacks and :dwarf: took out the :fimir:. :skeleton: failed to do any damage.
On the next round of turns, despite having Courage :barbarian: flopped on his attack. :wizard: defeated his :skeleton: while and the :elf: took out the last one in the middle room.
They cut through the 4×5 room. :dwarf: fell into a pit trap from the Treasure deck. They fought their way through the :orc:s in the throne room and then into Room B. Despite having only 1BP left the :barbarian: took no damage, but :goblin: managed to get 2 hits on the :dwarf:.
When they made it to the final corridor the :dwarf: disarmed the pit trap. The undead were of no consequence. :elf: cast Water of Healing on :barbarian:. :barbarian: charged the :gargoyle: but flopped on his attack. :wizard: rolled short on movement so couldn't cast his Genie spell. But the :elf: did cast Sleep, which miraculously took hold on the :gargoyle:, who rolled :roll5: :roll5: :roll4: :roll5:. :dwarf: was up next and landed 3BP of damage. :gargoyle: turn to break the spell resulted in :roll5: :roll5: :roll3: :roll2: , stayed asleep and :barbarian: rolled :skull: :skull: :skull: ! The :gargoyle: was dead before he could cast spells, summon falling blocks or even defend!
Next came the 2 :mummy:s and :zombie:. :dwarf: ran in first, failed to get a kill, defending the attacks, :barbarian: took out the :zombie: with a diagonal attack, :wizard: cast Genie to defeat 1 mummy, :elf: had a crossbow so couldn't get a shot in, but the :dwarf: finished off the last one.
After the empty chests were searched they spotted the furrows on the wall. At first the :barbarian: and :dwarf: tried attacking the wall to break it down, but no luck. A further search by the :wizard: rolled too small to detect the secret door, so the :elf: used his Genie spell scroll to open the door.

This was a really nice quest and didn't quite go the way I planned. I liked it.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » February 27th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Well it seems the last quest took a breathtaking action! I just noticed one possible mistake you did while playing this: did you notice the central chamber has an open door? When a Hero sees the line of Orcs he can also see inside the central chamber and both groups of monsters are activated!!! The line of Orcs are intended to be killed by a Lord Lane's Quarrel. But if the shot comes from the east side, it can even kill one of the Skeletons in the central room because that door is open. Also take in mind that a quarell could pierce a line of monster but if a Hero is found on the same line he must defend and could suffer a damage too!!!
Look at the example, the :elf: shot the line of :orc:s but :dwarf: and :skeleton: are also attacked. ;) Thanks again for the interesting report.

shot_example.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Adventurer's Guild