• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Translation of "Slumbering Monster" by Roberto de Moraes

The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects.

Re: Translation of "Slumbering Monster" by Roberto de Moraes

Postby j_dean80 » April 30th, 2019, 8:01 pm

lestodante wrote:I still think there is a problem with that falling rock leading to the Gargoyle room (in the bottom left corner): it is a sure dead!
A falling rock trap can't be disarmed or found with a search or am I wrong with the NA rules?

NA allows you to search and disarm them.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby The Admiral » May 1st, 2019, 4:14 am

lestodante wrote:I still think there is a problem with that falling rock leading to the Gargoyle room (in the bottom left corner): it is a sure dead!
A falling rock trap can't be disarmed or found with a search or am I wrong with the NA rules?

Really? it's been 25 years since I played EU rules. Are FB's really not revealed on a search for Traps and secret doors (I remembered that double search thingy!). Although FB's are not a problem in the NA version, unless you have an unlucky stupid Dwarf (are there any others?), I think that for all round ease of play, the FB should just be replaced with a pit trap.

I also don't like the EU rule that the Dwarf automatically can disarm 100% of the traps. I like the chance in the NA version that he might just occasionally mess it up. My own house rules allow all Heroes a chance to disarm a trap on the roll of 1d6:
Dwarves/Rogues 3+, Rangers/Halflings 4+, Elves/Humans 5+, Barbarians 6+. A Tool Kit gives a -1 modifier.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Drew » June 10th, 2019, 9:17 pm

Since one guy made all the maps for the 3 quests and another 1 did all the Brazilian-English translation why isnt it complete yet? No one can do what Phoenix used to do? I mean put the whole quest together in a pack. I mean idk how but Im sure someone does. I mean the most effort has already been made, the quests are ready, its a pity that they arent published here complete.
Drew

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby j_dean80 » June 10th, 2019, 10:08 pm

I can only speak for myself. I'm very busy at work and when do get a moment from the baby and other 3 kids I have other projects in the works that are higher on my priority list.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » June 11th, 2019, 1:31 am

Drew wrote:Since one guy made all the maps for the 3 quests and another 1 did all the Brazilian-English translation why isnt it complete yet? No one can do what Phoenix used to do? I mean put the whole quest together in a pack. I mean idk how but Im sure someone does. I mean the most effort has already been made, the quests are ready, its a pity that they arent published here complete.

Hey Drew,
Thanks for your offer. It would be very nice if you could share the finished PDF here in the forums when you've put it together.

Why do I answer like that? We are a community here and nobody gets paid for the work we invest. Most of us have kids, jobs, family. It is sometimes difficult to find half an hour in a week for the hobby.

This is not the place to complain about bad service, but I think all of us would be very happy if you could help us out - giving something back to the community that you have taken advantage of already.

Look at it like this: All of what we ("we" including you) do here is tax free.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Drew » June 11th, 2019, 9:31 am

Oh I didnt complain. Sorry if it sounded like that.I just meant its a pity that the quests are practically finished but they cant be played cause there just not put together. I mean I got free time, Ill can try to do it but i dont have the know how.
Drew

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Drew » June 13th, 2019, 7:45 pm

Hey again everyone. Kept my promise. Found a template and used it to put together the maps and the quests that you guys already made and translated.
The thing is Idk how to make a cover, or the introduction and things. So i just did the 3 Quests and HOPEFULLY one of you will be able to complete the pack and put it all together :D.
Here are the quests: https://imgur.com/a/4SpZb1V
Drew

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Anderas » June 15th, 2019, 12:08 am

Those are nice ones!

I put them into my quest inndex with your imgur as download location.
I also simulated "The Chaotic Sword". it's very good fit for beginners' Hero group. Suitable for a group of Heroes without equipment (Barb has 3 dice, the others have 2 dice).
Assumptions were 4 wandering monsters, NA Monster stats. 14 BP damage come from traps, 10 BP from Monsters. If they're searching allright they should be fine.

"The Axe of Destruction" is even easier. Heroes likely will have spent their gold on some items, but the second quest is almost too easy even for a beginner's group.
At this point I started to wonder if these are probably solo quests, so I simulated with just a beginner barbarian and some mercenaries. Aaand yes... The Barbarian completely solo is lost. With a scout at his side, it's difficult. But already with one Halberdier at his side, he can easily do this quest alone.

"The Creature's Lair" is a little bit more difficult. First, it is difficult to simulate of course, because of the spells the creature can cast.
If you discount both, spells an the axe of destruction, a normal beginners hero group will do just fine. Yes! No extra equipment needed. Just basic heroes!

Take in the Axe, you have one heavy blow that will likely remove 5 body points. Now, about the spells.
At that point, if it was me, I would either cast firestorm to "clean out" mercenaries; or if there are none then I'd go for Summon Orcs, which is really strong in two ways: For said beginner's group it removes around 2, maybe 2.5 Body Points. But then it also sucks up some actions of the hero group for two or three rounds while they try to clean out the orcs, giving some protection to the main monster. Those two factors combined make this spell the first choice.
My simulation immediately cranks up the estimated difficulty when I say that the final room does contain the monster and four orcs. :) Suddenly, it advises to have a group with 3-dice-equipment.

More spells: If the Talisman of Lore is worn by the Barbarian, I'd totally discount Command. I'd give it a try anyway if he is wearing the famous 10-dice-axe and can empty it's ability! On the other heroes, this spell is a little bit wasted so I wouldn't try it.

Rust is always nice in the middle of a campaign, but at the end, during the fight with the end monster... naaah
Same for Rock skin. You get more defense dice, but then you lose a turn casting it, probably getting more and more attacks into you. The spell breaks as soon as you lose a BP, and the Heroes will do everything to remove that BP from you with immediate effect. So no Rock skin, no.

As soon as the orcs are cleaned out I'd cast firestorm as final BOOOM effect. Taking maybe 6, maybe 8 Body points, this can be the death for one or two heroes at this stage. Then it's normal attacks for the rest of the game.

Yeah I have strange hobbies. Did I just spend two hours mind-playing three quests of Heroquest? :D

Results:
Quest 1: Beginners Group Quest
Quest 2: Sub Beginners difficulty. The Barbarian with a medium strong Mercenary is enough.
Quest 3: Group quest for heroes equipped with three dice equipment. You can do it also with a beginner's group and some potions of healing. What a coincidence, in quest 2 you find 2 potions!

If it was me, I would make Quest 2 a little bit more difficult by letting them try it as Solo :twisted: or two-hero-quest!
Quest 3, the fight with the Slumbering Monster has a strange room.You can't cast Firestorm properly in a room that is reduced to a hallway. On the other hand, the slumbering monster can fight to a lot better effect in a hallway-like room as this reduces the number of heroes attacking, which is also nice.

All in all, thanks for the translation @Forum!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » June 16th, 2019, 3:25 am

Drew wrote:Hey again everyone. Kept my promise. Found a template and used it to put together the maps and the quests that you guys already made and translated.
The thing is Idk how to make a cover, or the introduction and things. So i just did the 3 Quests and HOPEFULLY one of you will be able to complete the pack and put it all together :D.

Looks brilliant! I'm in France playing this at the moment. Finished the first quest yesterday. Axe of Destruction today. I love that weapon!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » June 17th, 2019, 4:52 pm

If you mind, my friend Luis is painting Chaotic Sword and Axe of Destruction so then I will make the cards... ;)

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Adventurer's Guild