• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Translation of "Slumbering Monster" by Roberto de Moraes

The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects.

Re: Translation of "Slumbering Monster" by Roberto de Moraes

Postby lestodante » Wednesday March 7th, 2018 3:56pm

I remember in Brazil they also released KK and ROTWL, not just the Game-System.
Anyway, the use of this weapon is dangerous and is to be intended as a desperate move when every other hope seems to be lost.
Some artifacts may be sacrificed, like some spell scroll or the sky Orb, it can be used to save 4 body points but then are lost, so I will happy sacrifice it after he saved me 3 BP already.
As for the name.. my favourites are Axe of Destruction or Axe of Devastation.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » Wednesday March 7th, 2018 4:20pm

I didn't recall that about KK and RotWL--thanks. I wonder if the author had either of those expansions--Hero Quest was an expensive game over there. He obviously was a fan, however, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were known to him.

Knowing that several replaceable KK and RotWL artifacts were available in Brazil, I'm with Poncho that the Destruction Axe is overpowered as written. With it, a Fire of Wrath scroll often (but not always) causing 1 Body Point of damage can probably be converted to 5-6 Body Points of damage. Some players like that kind of high drama, so more power to 'em. I'm more concerned about how often it's going to eliminate the variety of other artifacts for the power play.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » Wednesday March 7th, 2018 4:56pm

Can't guess what could happen if you use it with the Elven Bow of Vindication? The Bow will be lost but... it was supposed to be returned at the end of the Elf Quest Pack to the Elven Kingdom...

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Search for quest "Slumbering Monster" by Roberto de Mora

Postby Daedalus » Wednesday March 7th, 2018 5:25pm

The Admiral wrote:
lestodante wrote:Good.. I guess this topic should be moved in another section of the forum.
Or the main title can be changed, since it becomes a work in progress translation topic.

I've changed the title. I don't know how to move it though? It would make sense for it to be with the other two.

Do you mean to More Published HeroQuest - The Brazilian files? If not, link the intended topic and I'll get it done assuming it's the best location.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » Wednesday March 7th, 2018 6:04pm

I don't know exactly how it works, this is a Work in Progress or a translation project.
Maybe after we have finished the questpack we can post the final pdf in the additional quests section for download, but actually it is still unfinished.
We posted other 2 Brazilians WIP in
Adventurer's Guild: "The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects."
But maybe that is intended for original quest and not translations. I am not sure.

Rewards:
lestodante

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » Thursday March 8th, 2018 5:44am

Daedalus wrote:Cheap Destruction Axe-charging artifacts in KK and RotWL include spell scrolls, the Fire Ring, Throwing Daggers, Dust of Disappearance, and Anti-poison Quills. The EQP and BQP have spell scrolls, the Sky Orb, the Ring of the North, the Armband of Ice, and Snowshoes of Speed.

The original intent of the Destruction Axe could be preserved within the wider context of the Hero Quest published expansions with a small modification: ". . . To restore the magic power, the axe must be touched with a magic artifact. . . ." > . . . To restore the magic power, the axe must be touched with a permanent-use artifact. . . .

Yes, I can see your reasoning here. Who wouldn't give up a one off 5 attack Genie Scroll for a single 12 attack? I agree, it should be a permanent-use artifact. There is a real player dilemma then, and I really like that aspect.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » Thursday March 8th, 2018 5:45am

Daedalus wrote:
The Admiral wrote:
lestodante wrote:Good.. I guess this topic should be moved in another section of the forum.
Or the main title can be changed, since it becomes a work in progress translation topic.

I've changed the title. I don't know how to move it though? It would make sense for it to be with the other two.

Do you mean to More Published HeroQuest - The Brazilian files? If not, link the intended topic and I'll get it done assuming it's the best location.

The other two Brazilian quest translations are in the Adventurers Guild. It might be best located with those?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » Thursday March 8th, 2018 8:44am

The Admiral wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Cheap Destruction Axe-charging artifacts in KK and RotWL include spell scrolls, the Fire Ring, Throwing Daggers, Dust of Disappearance, and Anti-poison Quills. The EQP and BQP have spell scrolls, the Sky Orb, the Ring of the North, the Armband of Ice, and Snowshoes of Speed.

The original intent of the Destruction Axe could be preserved within the wider context of the Hero Quest published expansions with a small modification: ". . . To restore the magic power, the axe must be touched with a magic artifact. . . ." > . . . To restore the magic power, the axe must be touched with a permanent-use artifact. . . .

Yes, I can see your reasoning here. Who wouldn't give up a one off 5 attack Genie Scroll for a single 12 attack? I agree, it should be a permanent-use artifact. There is a real player dilemma then, and I really like that aspect.

I agree, the Axe needs this permanent-use artefact limitation or it will get too much use and become overpowered. I've never viewed spell scrolls as proper artefacts anyway. They have a different card back and are very different things in my eyes.
There are also a number of fan-made quest packs that give out artefacts quite freely, and if these are played after this Creature quest pack then the hero could gain a plentiful supply of ammunition to reload his axe of destruction. I guess this would be up to each game master to decide/regulate.
I would consider changing the rules of the Axe so that it attacks with a flat 10 combat dice, not an extra 10 combat dice. 10 dice per attack is a little less wild than 12.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » Friday March 9th, 2018 4:32pm

Pancho wrote: I would consider changing the rules of the Axe so that it attacks with a flat 10 combat dice, not an extra 10 combat dice. 10 dice per attack is a little less wild than 12.

Nah, 12 is indeed wild, but that's what I like about it :twisted:

Rewards:
The Admiral

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Tuesday March 13th, 2018 3:52am

lestodante wrote:I don't know exactly how it works, this is a Work in Progress or a translation project.
Maybe after we have finished the questpack we can post the final pdf in the additional quests section for download, but actually it is still unfinished.
We posted other 2 Brazilians WIP in
Adventurer's Guild: "The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects."
But maybe that is intended for original quest and not translations. I am not sure.

The Admiral wrote:. . . The other two Brazilian quest translations are in the Adventurers Guild. It might be best located with those?

Okay, I'll move them there and mark here with a moved-topic icon (hurricane trap.) Seeing how a group of Inn denizens have chipped in and at least the Sleep Wizard Quest has evolved, the Adventures' Guild is as
good a place as any to locate these fan-published (not Resource) translations while you work on them. I also agree that after they are finished you can group them as you see fit at Board index ‹ HeroQuest Rooms ‹ HeroQuest Additions ‹ Quests and Quest Packs.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Adventurer's Guild