• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Building a new Quest Pack: feedback is appreciated

The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects.

Re: Building a new Quest Pack: feedback is appreciated

Postby j_dean80 » June 22nd, 2017, 8:24 pm

Mapinguari:

Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » October 20th, 2017, 4:39 pm

It looks like this pack is more or less finished. I'll offer some comments anyway, in case you rework it.

First, while the early Quests were a bit basic, I liked that they were direct and easy to understand. The later Quests had some cool boards and threats. Some struck me as having a lot of wandering, particularly the forest boards. While I'd cut down the legwork to save on game time, I imagine that is exactly what you intended.

The all-traps Quest 7 could be made a bit more interesting for non-Dwarfs if the Heroes have the opportunity to buy a tool kit beforehand. In the prefatory note option I'd suggest that Elrso mention the next site is lightness and riddled with traps.

You had commented Quest 5 was especially brutal in playtesting, and with those random trap doors I can see why. Don't get me wrong, I like the tunnels idea--mechanically, it fits the theme very well. However, since being seperated is penalizing enough (in my opinion), I think you would do well to drop the BP of damage when emerging. Instead, the same roll would simply lead back to the starting trap door, while a 6 would either grant a reroll or permit the Hero to choose one of the other four areas (the better option to finish the game more quickly.)

It would require a new tile, but I think it would be oh-so-thematic to substitute a Werejaguar for the Werewolf in Quest 9.

An issue that occurred to me is the NA double-attack rule. If some of the gods attack the same Hero and he only defends once, that could be very bad. I figure you don't use the BQP single-defense rule by omission, but it may help to mention in those monster descriptions that both attacks are defended separately.

Quest 12 had four (spiral) stairway tiles, so I'd assume you intend to reuse the tile. It might help to note in room C that all the Heroes must move onto the stair tile before the new level at D may be entered.

I know you planned to revise some of the Quests and fluff, which would be great and I hope happens. Also, it would be helpful if you created trap tiles to match your icons. Do you plan to post the Pack at the Board index ‹ HeroQuest Rooms ‹ HeroQuest Additions ‹ Quests and Quest Packs?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » October 20th, 2017, 7:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback. This pack got placed on hold while I finish Summons of the Wizards' Council. That one is to replace an original pack so figured it took higher priority. Definitely plan to finish this though. Like to change the fluff some, always welcome help. When all finished it will end up in the Quest Packs section.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » December 28th, 2017, 9:48 pm

Put the cover together:

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » December 29th, 2017, 11:59 pm

Back Cover:

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » December 30th, 2017, 10:15 pm

Do the covers look ok?

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » December 31st, 2017, 1:50 am

To be honest, I do not like covers without any characters or at least devices that are important to the story. That's true for every genre.
A background shot of the setting doesn't cut it for me.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » December 31st, 2017, 2:01 am

knightkrawler wrote:To be honest, I do not like covers without any characters or at least devices that are important to the story. That's true for every genre.
A background shot of the setting doesn't cut it for me.

The photo on the front cover is a Les Edwards. Only Jungle themed photo I've found of his.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » December 31st, 2017, 6:26 am

Doesn't change my assessment, unfortunately.
That being said, it makes for great inside art for your quest pack.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby clmckay » December 31st, 2017, 9:06 am

To me, it looks awesome.

Wish I knew what template you us e for your covers and inside narrative bits.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Adventurer's Guild