• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Base Quests in four difficulty steps

The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects.

Re: Base Quests in four difficulty steps

Postby lucasdp » December 15th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Very true! The barbarian opened the door, and I can't remember if she had used her action already or not... But if she hadn't, she could have killed the skeleton. But she would then be blocking the door, so the elf couldn't have shot from where he was. But with the skeleton gone, anyone else could have walked right up to Balur and attacked anyway. :geek: So many possibilities...

But I just want to have at least one turn with my boss monster! :cry: :lol:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Count Mohawk » December 15th, 2015, 5:23 pm

Well, let's be fair here: You just got unlucky. A crossbow will only waste a monster with 3 Body and 5 Defense about 5% of the time.

(This is also why, when your sorcerers have a big hand of magic, one of the most useful abilities you can give them is the power to cast multiple spells a turn. I am reminded of Ahravax from slev's HQR, who knows literally every Chaos Spell, but will die long before he gets through even a quarter of them.)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » December 16th, 2015, 6:53 pm

Perhaps some sort of artefact like a Talisman or Staff of Arrow Warding that can deflect a single ranged attack each turn would be in order (especially as I am planning to replace 'Goblin Warriors' with 'Goblin Scouts' armed with bows to prevent Heroes from loitering in the doorways)!
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » December 17th, 2015, 11:37 am

Maybe boss monsters should go straight after the hero that reveals them and keep that turn sequence.

Maybe all monsters could get an initiative rating of 0-3, lower being better, that decides how many heroes can go after they're revealed.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » December 17th, 2015, 4:11 pm

Maybe you use EWP cards like interrupt and alert. There are lots of solutions. The trick is to find one that is playable with Vanilla HQ and with any fan version.

So I think I will use the 'go straight after the discovering hero' some day in a quest, but as special feature. Normally i'll use a Portier, that's easy. And of course, any other solution that comes to my mind also. :D like wandering Monster Balur. :twisted: Like 5 Body Points. Like an Ogre as Bodyguard so that the Heroes don't really know who to shoot first. Like a falling block trap triggered by the door opening, and three other doors that open at the same time to let the bad guys access the Heroes from the flank. Like, anything else that comes to my mind. :mrgreen: :2cents: |_P

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby lucasdp » December 17th, 2015, 5:18 pm

I agree, Anderas. I didn't mean to imply that major changes needed to be made to how boss monsters operate (nor did I mean to hijack your thread!). This was just one instance of one possibility in which the dice rolls were really not in my favor.

Frankly, what I've really learned from this is that I need to think on my feet a little better when I'm GM-ing, and I probably don't need to tell the heroes all the info on a boss when he is found. |_P If I hadn't told them he had three body points to begin with, I could have said, "Oh, crossbow hits for three, but he ain't dead yet!" and then given Balur an extra one or two BP to (hopefully) allow him to live until my next turn.

Rewards:
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » December 17th, 2015, 5:25 pm

I tried that. I want to play without life changes as I am soft and i wouldn't kill entire Hero groups if I make changes in the middle.

So I tried to make these before, and the result is visible in this thread. You're really right on the topic. :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » December 19th, 2015, 7:59 am

lucasdp wrote:Frankly, what I've really learned from this is that I need to think on my feet a little better when I'm GM-ing, and I probably don't need to tell the heroes all the info on a boss when he is found. |_P If I hadn't told them he had three body points to begin with, I could have said, "Oh, crossbow hits for three, but he ain't dead yet!" and then given Balur an extra one or two BP to (hopefully) allow him to live until my next turn.
I definitely wouldn't go that route because where does it end? In that example it makes the first attack against him completely pointless because if it wounds him he gets more BP anyway. I couldn'd play in a game where the EWP was making any part of up as they go along because nothing the heroes do matters at all if they're at the mercy of anything one player decides thewy want to happen. That's not playing a game, it's telling a story. The EWP should be doing everything in their power to kill the heroes. That way what's going to happen in the game is unknown to everyone instead of what one person decided they want to happen, where's the fun in that?

Gold Bearer wrote:Maybe all monsters could get an initiative rating of 0-3, lower being better, that decides how many heroes can go after they're revealed.
Hmm, this could be interesting. I'm going to open a topic for this.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lucasdp » December 23rd, 2015, 1:45 pm

We played Race Against Time and I applied my "turn counter" to have the dungeon begin to cave in at the end of turn 15, and I adjusted so the boss (in our case, Gulthor) shows up at the end of turn 18. I think it worked well.

For starters, the heroes were well into the safety of the last two or three rooms by turn 15, so the cave-in wasn't really a threat, but did give them a sense of urgency, which only increased when Gulthor showed up. Tangerine the barbarian basically took one swing at Gulthor, then said, "Screw you guys; I'm going home," and made for the stairwell. Sparky the elf managed to nail Gulthor with his crossbow on his way out, killing the Chaos Warrior so the other heroes could escape safely as well.

I think it played out nicely. I've attached my notes on how I planned out the cave-in. For reference, I don't think we made it past turn 23 or 24. Feel free to share any thoughts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » December 23rd, 2015, 2:35 pm

Hahaha that's a good way. I think I'll take it into my Quest book in the next version! Thanks a lot!

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Adventurer's Guild