• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

hQuestBuilder - Browser-based Quest Creation

The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects.

Re: hQuestBuilder - Browser-based Quest Creation

Postby squidgem0nster » March 21st, 2022, 8:26 am

I actually added this feature at the weekend if you want to try it. You can have an active palette of 9 bespoke icons, but if you remove one, it doesn't remove it if it's been used on the quest map... hopefully the best of both worlds:
https://youtu.be/GXtzA72Os1o
squidgem0nster

Skeleton
Skeleton
 
Posts: 22
Joined: March 15th, 2022, 10:30 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: hQuestBuilder - Browser-based Quest Creation

Postby lestodante » March 21st, 2022, 1:10 pm

I tried it and it worked properly for me.
Also once I added the icons to the map then I can remove it from the menu to make a free slot and upload a new one. Didn't try, but I guess it will work.
A limit I found in hquestbuilder is that I can't place a furniture and a letter (or another icon) over it. It can be useful for crowdy rooms.
Another thing to upgrade the interface would be to create a "remove" command: once I select it I can tap the icons I want to remove (an undo feature would also be useful in case of wrong tap).


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Wrote an article for the Blog. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti
 
Posts: 2840
Images: 5
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 9:40 am
Location: Italy
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: hQuestBuilder - Browser-based Quest Creation

Postby FraterLeonatus » April 8th, 2022, 7:54 pm

Hey Mate, amazing work, I made my first homemade quest thanks to your tool.
If that can help, I can translate it in french.
FraterLeonatus
 
Posts: 1
Joined: April 8th, 2022, 7:50 pm
Forum Language: Français
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Re: hQuestBuilder - Browser-based Quest Creation

Postby squidgem0nster » April 8th, 2022, 8:05 pm

Thanks so much - I've dropped you a quick DM with some details on how to help with translation, it would be amazing to have the UI in French too. Thanks again, and happy quest building :)
squidgem0nster

Skeleton
Skeleton
 
Posts: 22
Joined: March 15th, 2022, 10:30 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: hQuestBuilder - Browser-based Quest Creation

Postby lestodante » April 9th, 2022, 7:53 am

I just noticed the Builder counts the pieces inside the box and icon fade when you place the last piece available (2 mummies, 6 Goblins, 2 tables...) but still usable anyway.
This is a good thing to not run out of pieces.
Will you put some kind of check boxes ☑ ☑ for the expansions, so the Builder will know you have more pieces available from their boxes?


Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Wrote an article for the Blog. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti
 
Posts: 2840
Images: 5
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 9:40 am
Location: Italy
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: hQuestBuilder - Browser-based Quest Creation

Postby squidgem0nster » April 9th, 2022, 8:43 am

Hey ☺️ yes, the plan will be to update those counts if expansions are used... may not be in the first launch of expansions though, but very much planned. I will try and figure out a way of showing expansions have been used on the printed view too. Glad you noticed that subtle, but hopefully useful, fade out addition!
squidgem0nster

Skeleton
Skeleton
 
Posts: 22
Joined: March 15th, 2022, 10:30 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: hQuestBuilder - Browser-based Quest Creation

Postby Xoxxala » May 17th, 2022, 11:04 am

Always Board, Never Boring (who has quite a few HQ videos on his channel) just did a video on hQuestBuilder.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qW5Gogc_rM4

User avatar
Xoxxala

Zombie
Zombie
 
Posts: 32
Joined: September 20th, 2021, 1:37 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: hQuestBuilder - Browser-based Quest Creation

Postby squidgem0nster » May 17th, 2022, 12:47 pm

Yes, he was very kind to take a look and do a video review :)
squidgem0nster

Skeleton
Skeleton
 
Posts: 22
Joined: March 15th, 2022, 10:30 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: hQuestBuilder - Browser-based Quest Creation

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » August 14th, 2023, 11:05 am

Great resource, I have just used it to recreate the original Second Edition quest book and will now get started on a few tweaks...but I'll keep the original also in case anyone is interested Polishing Second Edition: Quests
:skull: = one hit
:blackshield: = one hit & pushback
:whiteshield: = cancels one hit

HQ versions: "Original" - 1989 1st edition & 1990 2nd edition, "Remake" - 1990 NA remake & 2021 reprint

HQ Golden Rules
FAQs, Errata & Clarifications for the Original Editions
HQ Common Notification System

1BP = :goblin: :orc: :skeleton: :zombie:
2BP = :fimir: :mummy: :chaoswarrior:
3BP = :gargoyle:


Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog.
User avatar
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1220
Joined: December 8th, 2013, 11:12 am
Location: UK
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: hQuestBuilder - Browser-based Quest Creation

Postby squidgem0nster » August 14th, 2023, 11:09 am

Thanks! I'm pleased you're finding the builder useful :) Happy quest building!
squidgem0nster

Skeleton
Skeleton
 
Posts: 22
Joined: March 15th, 2022, 10:30 am
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Adventurer's Guild

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest